ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > ggFTW > Questions, Feedback & Suggestions > Wiki Discussion

Elsword
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
01-03-2011   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Trickster OnlineWonderKing OnlineLa TaleCarnage Blender

Sephiroth is a splendid one to beholdSephiroth is a splendid one to beholdSephiroth is a splendid one to beholdSephiroth is a splendid one to beholdSephiroth is a splendid one to beholdSephiroth is a splendid one to beholdSephiroth is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth
IGN: LeArc
Class: Ruin Walker lt_treasurehunter
Level: 197
Guild: Infiniti
Default What ever happened...

Hi guys, I don't typically drift from the LT forums much, but me and Sandrie have recently been discussing organizing a big group effort for the LT wiki.
However, aside from that, this gets me interested in the main topic.

Why is the Wiki no longer in the main navigation bar?

I mean, way back in the day long before /ggFtw!, MMOG, back in MyTrickster and such, and up until now even, the Wiki has been one of the strongest aspects of our community. It has shown how much effort we- together can put into something, to give to others.

The fact that there is no longer a link to the Wiki in the head navigation bar sways me a little, seeing how the Wiki deserves more than that, and was a big driving factor of me signing up to this community so long ago.

/edit.
I just think that the Wiki deserves to be up there, seeing how some people worked VERY hard on it, and it needs to be more readily accessible to people who want it, and people need to be more aware that we even have a Wiki.

So I just want to gather some thoughts...

Should/n't the Wiki be put into the head navigation bar?
Why and why not?
Why was it taken off in the first place?
What are some reasons it should be put back on?
Dissention; 180/Dragoon - Xileh; 170 Strider
Elisevetyl; 121/Templar - TheFameMonster; 80/Guardian
PrettyH8Machine; 40/Engineer - ????; ??/??

I'm sort of back, I think. I don't know.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 01-03-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
01-03-2011   #2 (permalink)
Lord of the Ceilings!
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineGrand ChaseLegend of Edda
Awards Staff AwardEvent WinnerMoM AwardDetail Detective

BoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond reputeBoredomKillz has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: RandomPerson
Class: Saint lt_guardian
Level: 195
Guild: FrenchBread

i believe the main reason it was taken down was aside from the TO wiki all the other ones were either dead or had very little progress with them
the other reason was to make room for the "Market" tab that replaced it

i think noe said that if there was an increase in all the wikis and maintained that increase it would be considered to be put back or something

try reading this thread i think theres a few posts related to it in there o3o
/forum/ggftw-news/83...highlight=wiki

01-03-2011   #3 (permalink)
ahhhhh wait
Special
Games
MabinogiDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon SagaDragon Nest
Awards Most Valuable DivisionAdmin AwardMost Valuable StaffMoM AwardWandering Eye

Sandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Sandrie
Class: ~ lt_sorcerer
Level: e

Here's the quote from Noe about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoeJeko
Ok, I'm going to post this about the wiki once and for all -- any future questions will be pointed to this post.

The wiki was removed from the top-level navigation because no one contributes to it. We have 2 (maybe 3) regular contributors to the trickster online wiki and that's it. People asked and asked for x game wiki to be set up and then abandoned them to the abyss of dead Internet wikis.

Why in the world would I keep something that makes us look so bad at the very top of the site? Most of the community laser-focuses on one aspec -- trickster forum, trickster wiki, lunia forum, etc. and they neither know nor care that the site is bigger than their little corner.

Why does it make us look bad? Because other than the Trickster wiki, the wikis are dead. Sidero makes a good effort but hist efforts are 100% concentrated on the Trickster wiki. The rest of the wiki staff members are even too busy to help out and even if they weren't -- maintaining 13 game wikis is too much to ask of three people.

In the world of web content, no content is better than stale or outdated content.

You (you is addressed to the reader of this post, not any person in particular) want the wiki back at the top? Give me a reason to move it there. Get in there, bring them up to date, and actually put some effort into maintaining them. If all you're going to do is consume content without giving anything back and then complain that I remove the link then I'm really sorry but I have no sympathy for that.

I'm growing rather tired of the complaints from people that would use this site and never give anything back. I have to position us for best long-term growth and keeping a dead aspect at the very top of the page is definitely not positioning us for growth.

Sandrie, thank you for taking the initiative for the DFO wiki. Please work with Sidero -- he is very adept at wiki and can really help you a lot.

If this community shows me that they care about the wikis by actively and accurately keeping them updated, I will show that I care about the effort by returning the wiki to its top-level spot.

If they stay dead, they stay at the bottom.

Fair deal, eh?

This is why I've been trying to get people to help get the bigger wikis back up to speed and trying to think of help materials to make it a little less daunting. Unfortunately it honestly feels like a huge uphill battle to me, considering how most people appear to don't even know we have wikis, how little people edit, me raging on my poor wiki coding skills, etc. (Don't get me started on the DFO wiki.)

Good news is that the Trickster wiki has been picking up pace:
Recent changes - /gg FTW! Trickster Wiki. I have hope for the wikis, we just need more people to pitch in here and there and to get the word out that there are wikis around here. There's no need to do 4523465235234 edits a day like me or Sidero or the other guys helping out ;_;

01-06-2011   #4 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Battle of the ImmortalsFlyFFGrand ChaseLa Tale
Awards Facebook Fan

Krem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant futureKrem has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Krem
IGN: Kremet
Class: Seleana lt_sorcerer
Level: 70
Guild: KuroNeko
Xfire: riolu

Couldn't we just have a wiki link made into a wannabe-thread in the LaTale section?

03-08-2011   #5 (permalink)
VIP
Awards Admin Award

adipiciu will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to adipiciu
IGN: becali
Class: Witch to_soulmaster
Level: 236
Guild: Gingis Han

Thanks Noe for bringing back the Wiki link at the menu on the top of the page!