ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Wiki Discussion (http://ggftw.com/forum/wiki-discussion/)
-   -   Proxying Into the Wiki (http://ggftw.com/forum/wiki-discussion/7356-proxying-into-wiki.html)

NoeJeko 08-20-2008 06:27 PM

Proxying Into the Wiki

If you access the Wiki from behind a proxy, it will be IP banned. With the MyTrickster wiki stealing our content as fast as we can put it up and Metal's LaTale wiki doing the same, I'm cracking down on proxy access to the wiki.

If you are a legitimate user and you get IP blocked, there is a link on the block page that will allow you to email us and discuss it.

Tenelax 08-20-2008 07:01 PM

I just saw their Latale wiki ._. it is still starting but I saw that they already stole the guild page T_T I hope that will prevent them from doing this again...

Adun 08-20-2008 07:36 PM

Wut.

I know that I fought for the sake of public information, but directly taking the code isn't right.

Dread 08-20-2008 08:05 PM

WOw that stinks hope this helps...wish MT didn't have the spam block we put on it lol.

Miyuki 08-20-2008 08:35 PM

If you're legit users, why must use proxy, just to enter the wiki? [note: not targeting to any users]

We basically, don't want any of our members work, just being stolen for their own benefits [note: mt's new fail-punk-admun]

joedanger 08-21-2008 12:11 AM

Still i don't really think that this would work, it won't really make them stop stealing the info, specially since they could just go and rent internet for an hour or so and steal the info from there, they are pretty cheap (probably a dollar or less an hour, depending on the place), so sure, it makes it harder, but only a bit.
And having the applications needed in any computer isn't really a problem, since there are a lot of aplications made portable and the usb sticks are really really cheap.
I would say that it's more a problem than a solution, but i have to agree that there's no reason to use a proxy to enter the wiki.
Probably you should also check things like software that allows to download a whole site, or people that access more than 'n' articles or downloads 'n' from the wiki a day or in a range of time.

Kusuriuri 08-21-2008 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miyuki (Post 118012)
If you're legit users, why must use proxy, just to enter the wiki? [note: not targeting to any users]

We basically, don't want any of our members work, just being stolen for their own benefits [note: mt's new fail-punk-admun]

A while back, I was having a problem with MyTrickster where I couldnt access the site at all, and had to view it/log on through a proxy .__. But Im sure I wont have that problem again, and if I do, I'll 'wtf..' lol

Miyuki 08-21-2008 12:23 AM

You can send us a mail/message via Contact Us page, if you found that your ip was being banned by mistake.

Basically, we can know, and it's so obvious that the fail-punk-admun copied/stole the information, and put it to themselves. [This applies to mwtal's wiki too].

Who else can edit and add the information to their wiki, except himself?

Allan 08-21-2008 01:14 AM

Track tony's latest contributions to MT
Check same page log of MOG wiki
Find same IP address from all of it
ban
repeat process
???
PROFIT