ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > ggFTW > Questions, Feedback & Suggestions > Wiki Discussion

Aika Online
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Aika Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
08-02-2008   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan

Mac2492 will become famous soon enoughMac2492 will become famous soon enough
IGN: ShuiLong
Class: Elemental Master lt_sorcerer
Level: 153
Guild: Lollipop
Default Taking Content From Japanese Wikis?

I recently got done adding Dark Commando and Blessings to the wiki. However, I copied all the table information from the Japanese Trickster Wiki. I've been thinking... Is this really okay? How can we just take their information like that? I find it somewhat rude, unless we have consent from the Japanese wiki community.

What is your opinion on this? I know it is "public information", but it is just more polite to ask for permission before copying all this information that other people worked so hard to compile. You have to admit... Without these Japanese wikis, we would have to copy down the information straight from the game or from the game's data files. This is much more difficult than copying it off organized lists and tables (as I assume most of us are doing now).

If we AREN'T copying information from the Japanese wiki, then I just messed up. It would be silly to remove the information, but it would be rude to keep it there. >,>

Off-Topic: I have been setting up Trickster Online formulas like this.
(MA - 49) x Multiplier 100
Would it be preferable to use "x" or "*" for multiplication operations? Would it be preferable to use "" or "/" for division operations? Personally, I prefer the former options because they look cleaner. Compare the formula I posted to this.
(MA - 49) * Multiplier / 100

Last edited by Mac2492; 08-02-2008 at 07:08 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-02-2008   #2 (permalink)
\_(ツ)_/
Special
Games
World of Warcraft

Adun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Adun Send a message via Skype™ to Adun
Guild: [JW], Kirameki

General information is general information.

Why do we have to number crunch formulas, copy information down, hunt the data down ourselves, when that work has already been done? It's a waste of time, effort, and labour. More sites than you know copy data from each other for the same reason, the japanese Wikis you are looking at may or may not have copied their information from somebody else's work as well, depending on the situation.

The same concept applies for images and artwork that gets used for the pages. We usually just copy them from the main pages or from another site. You don't have to fish into the game and extract it yourself unless there exists absolutely no source to take it from.

Wikipedias involve public contributions and nobody gets specific credit for any work, or else we'd all be signing off what we did and where. It's about the team and everybody working together to achieve a common goal, to complete the Wiki. I'm sure that other Wikis, even foreign ones like the Japanese Wikis, have the same goal in mind, and everybody relies on each other for information. For all we know, they could be lurking our own Wikis to make sure that their data is consistent, because we DO make our own edits and do our own work, even if we just copy down the original data. Things tend to not be so similar in between two different game versions though, so we still have our own share of work to do.

Edit:

As programmers, we tend to prefer the asterisk (*) and the slash (/) for multiplication and division formulas, since we use "x" as a variable, and the slash (/) can be typed, as opposed to the obelus (), which doesn't appear on the keyboard.

Last edited by Adun; 08-02-2008 at 08:30 PM.

08-02-2008   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan

Mac2492 will become famous soon enoughMac2492 will become famous soon enough
IGN: ShuiLong
Class: Elemental Master lt_sorcerer
Level: 153
Guild: Lollipop

You have a good point there. Thanks for the post.