ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > ggFTW > Questions, Feedback & Suggestions > Wiki Discussion

Prius Online
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Prius Online

Rating:  

View Poll Results: What Do you think of the Current Games Menu ?
I Like your proposed idea. 3 30.00%
I Like it the way it is Now. 7 70.00%
Doesn't Matter anyway. 0 0%
What Games Menu ??! 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
07-27-2008   #1 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Serag4000 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Serag4000 Send a message via MSN to Serag4000 Send a message via Yahoo to Serag4000 Send a message via Skype™ to Serag4000
IGN: Serag4000
Class: Dark Mage to_magician
Level: 85
Lightbulb Why Not remove/collapse Games Menu

I Was wondering about the "Games" Menu in the Wiki, which enables the user to Jump in to ANY portion of ANY of the games Wikis....

Strangely enough, I don't like it !

Although highly effective switchboard, yet I see that It eats LOADS of space (the area took by the games listing in the left Bar) in vain...
What are the odds of a player wanting to Jump from "Concerto Gate" Elements section to "Trickster Online" Story section ???

I think it would be better if the list of games be more collapsed to a single "Games" Button, while using the same space in showing the Navigational tree of the selected Game...

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
07-29-2008   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Supporter
Special
Awards Retired Division Head

Medoria is a glorious beacon of lightMedoria is a glorious beacon of lightMedoria is a glorious beacon of lightMedoria is a glorious beacon of lightMedoria is a glorious beacon of lightMedoria is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: Medoria
Class: Sorceress to_sheep
Level: 2X
Guild: Kitty Empire

huh? I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

Kitty Empire Forever

07-29-2008   #3 (permalink)
Discuss.
Games
League of LegendsAionAlliance of Valiant ArmsBloodline Champions
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM Award

Xpecial has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to Xpecial
IGN: Xpec
Class: Dainn lu_dainn
Level: -
Guild: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serag4000
I Was wondering about the "Games" Menu in the Wiki, which enables the user to Jump in to ANY portion of ANY of the games Wikis....

Strangely enough, I don't like it !

Although highly effective switchboard, yet I see that It eats LOADS of space (the area took by the games listing in the left Bar) in vain...
What are the odds of a player wanting to Jump from "Concerto Gate" Elements section to "Trickster Online" Story section ???

I think it would be better if the list of games be more collapsed to a single "Games" Button, while using the same space in showing the Navigational tree of the selected Game...
It can be hidden, when you press the "hide."

@Medoria: For the wiki, on the side bar with all the games, if you pressed "show" it would show tons of categories for the game. The OP does not like that and would just want it with just the game's name (like when you have everything on hide).

07-29-2008   #4 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

I think he wants to get rid of the left navigation column altogether...

I don't agree. The forum is sufficiently occupied by nomad gamers who play more than one game at any time. Moreover, it's easier for the wiki editors to navigate.

07-29-2008   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Supporter
Special

Medoria is a glorious beacon of lightMedoria is a glorious beacon of lightMedoria is a glorious beacon of lightMedoria is a glorious beacon of lightMedoria is a glorious beacon of lightMedoria is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, the sidebar is there for ease of navigation. I'm open to suggestions about how to improve the navigation, but it's too useful to remove.

Kitty Empire Forever

07-29-2008   #6 (permalink)
Crescent Fresh
Special
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineLuniaPangya
Awards Facebook FanTwitter Fan

NoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to NoeJeko Send a message via MSN to NoeJeko Send a message via Skype™ to NoeJeko
IGN: NoeJeko
Class: Warrior lt_warrior
Level: 23
Guild: Kirameki

When we didn't have the sidebar, we got a lot of complaints that it wasn't there.
[ggFTW on Twitter][ggFTW on Facebook][NoeJeko on Twitter]

07-29-2008   #7 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Send a message via ICQ to Serag4000 Send a message via MSN to Serag4000 Send a message via Yahoo to Serag4000 Send a message via Skype™ to Serag4000

I'm sure not saying the Navigator should be removed altogether...
Here is the Thing, I Think we should collapse the Whole "Games" Menu, and add another menu than only displays the Navigational Tree of the selected game...
So, When I Select a Game Like "Perfect World", I Get the Navigational bar to show Only The Requirements, Story, Controls,...etc of "Perfect World", then When I Select another game, say "Trickster Online", Only The Bunny, sheep, weapons,.. etc of "Trickster Online" shows up...

07-29-2008   #8 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

I don't get the question either.

But, probably what you mean is, to get a Selection Box menu instead of panel like that?

Something like this?

Last edited by Miyuki; 07-29-2008 at 09:06 AM.

07-29-2008   #9 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Exclamation Hope this is Clearer (^_^)'

Sorry for all the Confusions and stuff...
Well, the pic below illustrate what I'm saying
a Backup Link Here
So, When I Choose a New Game, The Name on the Last Button change to that's of the chosen game, with That particular game's List.

Do you get me ?, And what's your thoughts about it ??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture_33_Edited.jpg (19.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Serag4000; 07-29-2008 at 03:34 PM.

07-29-2008   #10 (permalink)
Crescent Fresh
Special
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineLuniaPangya
Awards Facebook FanTwitter Fan

NoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to NoeJeko Send a message via MSN to NoeJeko Send a message via Skype™ to NoeJeko
IGN: NoeJeko
Class: Warrior lt_warrior
Level: 23
Guild: Kirameki

I'm really.. confused as hell about what you're asking. No problem though - maybe you can come on IRC and discuss it with our wiki lead when you and she are both available?
[ggFTW on Twitter][ggFTW on Facebook][NoeJeko on Twitter]

07-29-2008   #11 (permalink)
늑대와 미녀
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineTrickster OnlineGrand ChaseAudition
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent WinnerGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Senior

Kudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Kudaranai

Oh, I get it now. He (or she) is talking about the gray navigation bar on the side. Right now it lists all the games, even if you expand the list. (pressing show). He (or she) wants to remove the game list that are showing, since it takes up some space (like in the image above)....which I think is a bad idea. Editing the wiki is SO MUCH EASIER with those games listed. Plus, I jump from game to game all the time.

07-29-2008   #12 (permalink)
\_(ツ)_/
Special
Games
World of Warcraft

Adun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Adun Send a message via Skype™ to Adun
Guild: [JW], Kirameki

I think it's fine as it is. It'd be too difficult to navigate if I had to search "Game:Content" or "Game:Section" whenever I want to edit something.

It makes it simple to navigate between games.

08-01-2008   #13 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudaranai
Oh, I get it now. He (or she) is talking about the gray navigation bar on the side. Right now it lists all the games, even if you expand the list. (pressing show). He (or she) wants to remove the game list that are showing, since it takes up some space (like in the image above)....which I think is a bad idea. Editing the wiki is SO MUCH EASIER with those games listed. Plus, I jump from game to game all the time.
1st It's a "He"
2nd Yeah, I Wanted only the Game currently navigated visible, while Clicking "Games" to Bring up the rest.
But I have to admit, while this would mean you can navigate the current game easier (won't have to scroll too far down to reach a Link), but it Will make it Harder to Jump from game's section to another game's section...

08-01-2008   #14 (permalink)
ggFTW Supporter
Special

The sidebar has no concept of what page you are browsing, i'd like it to so that way it can auto "show" that page, but vanilla mediawiki doesn't have that option... at least I can't think of a way.

Kitty Empire Forever

08-02-2008   #15 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medoria
The sidebar has no concept of what page you are browsing, i'd like it to so that way it can auto "show" that page, but vanilla mediawiki doesn't have that option... at least I can't think of a way.
Hhmm, Can't we insert Javascript or something like that..
I Don't think it's Hard to get the Text in the title bar using Javascript, which do change when a game is chosen...

But Sadly, I Know so little about how the Wiki operate in the first place...
I'll have to do some reading eventually...

08-03-2008   #16 (permalink)
ggFTW Supporter
Special

Uhh no, that's like saying can you insert javascript into google to know when you have cnn open on another window. o.O the two pages are completely separate. We'd have to add an extension to mediawiki...

Kitty Empire Forever