ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Wiki Discussion (http://ggftw.com/forum/wiki-discussion/)
-   -   Why Not remove/collapse Games Menu (http://ggftw.com/forum/wiki-discussion/4981-why-not-remove-collapse-games-menu.html)

Serag4000 07-27-2008 12:48 PM

Why Not remove/collapse Games Menu

I Was wondering about the "Games" Menu in the Wiki, which enables the user to Jump in to ANY portion of ANY of the games Wikis....

Strangely enough, I don't like it !

Although highly effective switchboard, yet I see that It eats LOADS of space (the area took by the games listing in the left Bar) in vain...
What are the odds of a player wanting to Jump from "Concerto Gate" Elements section to "Trickster Online" Story section ???

I think it would be better if the list of games be more collapsed to a single "Games" Button, while using the same space in showing the Navigational tree of the selected Game...

Medoria 07-28-2008 11:21 PM

huh? I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

Xpecial 07-28-2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serag4000 (Post 80570)
I Was wondering about the "Games" Menu in the Wiki, which enables the user to Jump in to ANY portion of ANY of the games Wikis....

Strangely enough, I don't like it !

Although highly effective switchboard, yet I see that It eats LOADS of space (the area took by the games listing in the left Bar) in vain...
What are the odds of a player wanting to Jump from "Concerto Gate" Elements section to "Trickster Online" Story section ???

I think it would be better if the list of games be more collapsed to a single "Games" Button, while using the same space in showing the Navigational tree of the selected Game...

It can be hidden, when you press the "hide."

@Medoria: For the wiki, on the side bar with all the games, if you pressed "show" it would show tons of categories for the game. The OP does not like that and would just want it with just the game's name (like when you have everything on hide).

Catharsis 07-29-2008 12:18 AM

I think he wants to get rid of the left navigation column altogether...

I don't agree. The forum is sufficiently occupied by nomad gamers who play more than one game at any time. Moreover, it's easier for the wiki editors to navigate.

Medoria 07-29-2008 07:12 AM

Yes, the sidebar is there for ease of navigation. I'm open to suggestions about how to improve the navigation, but it's too useful to remove.

NoeJeko 07-29-2008 07:34 AM

When we didn't have the sidebar, we got a lot of complaints that it wasn't there.

Serag4000 07-29-2008 07:59 AM

I'm sure not saying the Navigator should be removed altogether...
Here is the Thing, I Think we should collapse the Whole "Games" Menu, and add another menu than only displays the Navigational Tree of the selected game...
So, When I Select a Game Like "Perfect World", I Get the Navigational bar to show Only The Requirements, Story, Controls,...etc of "Perfect World", then When I Select another game, say "Trickster Online", Only The Bunny, sheep, weapons,.. etc of "Trickster Online" shows up...

Miyuki 07-29-2008 08:02 AM

I don't get the question either.

But, probably what you mean is, to get a Selection Box menu instead of panel like that?

Something like this?
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i.../selection.jpg

Serag4000 07-29-2008 11:18 AM

Hope this is Clearer (^_^)'

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for all the Confusions and stuff... :o
Well, the pic below illustrate what I'm saying http://gs254.photobucket.com/groups/..._33_Edited.png
a Backup Link Here
So, When I Choose a New Game, The Name on the Last Button change to that's of the chosen game, with That particular game's List.

Do you get me ?, And what's your thoughts about it ??

NoeJeko 07-29-2008 03:07 PM

I'm really.. confused as hell about what you're asking. No problem though - maybe you can come on IRC and discuss it with our wiki lead when you and she are both available?

Kudaranai 07-29-2008 03:17 PM

Oh, I get it now. He (or she) is talking about the gray navigation bar on the side. Right now it lists all the games, even if you expand the list. (pressing show). He (or she) wants to remove the game list that are showing, since it takes up some space (like in the image above)....which I think is a bad idea. Editing the wiki is SO MUCH EASIER with those games listed. Plus, I jump from game to game all the time.

Adun 07-29-2008 03:53 PM

I think it's fine as it is. It'd be too difficult to navigate if I had to search "Game:Content" or "Game:Section" whenever I want to edit something.

It makes it simple to navigate between games.

Serag4000 08-01-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kudaranai (Post 83926)
Oh, I get it now. He (or she) is talking about the gray navigation bar on the side. Right now it lists all the games, even if you expand the list. (pressing show). He (or she) wants to remove the game list that are showing, since it takes up some space (like in the image above)....which I think is a bad idea. Editing the wiki is SO MUCH EASIER with those games listed. Plus, I jump from game to game all the time.

1st It's a "He" :D
2nd Yeah, I Wanted only the Game currently navigated visible, while Clicking "Games" to Bring up the rest.
But I have to admit, while this would mean you can navigate the current game easier (won't have to scroll too far down to reach a Link), but it Will make it Harder to Jump from game's section to another game's section... :rolleyes:

Medoria 08-01-2008 12:27 PM

The sidebar has no concept of what page you are browsing, i'd like it to so that way it can auto "show" that page, but vanilla mediawiki doesn't have that option... at least I can't think of a way.

Serag4000 08-02-2008 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medoria (Post 89578)
The sidebar has no concept of what page you are browsing, i'd like it to so that way it can auto "show" that page, but vanilla mediawiki doesn't have that option... at least I can't think of a way.

Hhmm, Can't we insert Javascript or something like that..
I Don't think it's Hard to get the Text in the title bar using Javascript, which do change when a game is chosen...

But Sadly, I Know so little about how the Wiki operate in the first place...
I'll have to do some reading eventually... :swt:

Medoria 08-03-2008 11:58 AM

Uhh no, that's like saying can you insert javascript into google to know when you have cnn open on another window. o.O the two pages are completely separate. We'd have to add an extension to mediawiki...