ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Wiki Discussion (http://ggftw.com/forum/wiki-discussion/)
-   -   Need A Patient and Active Wiki Teacher (http://ggftw.com/forum/wiki-discussion/24799-need-patient-active-wiki-teacher.html)

CujoEX 10-22-2008 08:58 AM

Need A Patient and Active Wiki Teacher

I have a few written notes on a piece of paper containing various information that Wiki does not provide. I tend to hesitate organizing the notes to make a post, but I've always been interested in putting it into the wiki itself. Though, with the lack of motivation to push myself to self teach how to code in a wiki, and the limited time I spend due to school, work, and multi-forum tasks, I begin to lose interest.

I'm trying to build myself, so I'm not going to give up. If someone here has AIM, MSN, or xFire and knows more than the basics of how to put info into the Wiki; and has the patience to teach and push me to a limit, send me a PM, leave a post, or send me an IM.

Harlequin 10-22-2008 11:09 AM

I'm also in need of a teacher. Someone respond to this topic. :O

Chesters 10-22-2008 01:32 PM

You can find a good amount of information on Wiki editing at MetaWiki.

Self-teaching doesn't work for everyone, but it's definitely worth a try.

Medoria 10-22-2008 02:09 PM

The problem is that there's really a vast amount of things you can do on a wiki but at the base it's just so basic, it's like asking someone to teach you how to use word or something.

Honestly best bet is to just copy paste info into the wiki and not fret over how it looks at first.

DemiGodDanzig 10-22-2008 02:10 PM

@Chesters
oh,thats cool,imma try to get into this in my spare time

but yah,i understand how to fix the template and upload and edit stuff,
id just like to see if i can do more then that
after spending time in the wiki,im starting to understand what each line of code means and etc
if i can learn more,thatll be cool
i did take 2 years of comp science,and alot of these things are similiar
its just been forever heh

Medoria 10-22-2008 02:16 PM

As always you can also submit the information to the forum and allow someone else to add it to the wiki for you.

Levin 10-22-2008 02:16 PM

Well I've only been on the wiki a few times for editing...and well it looks like html with css to me. Now I just have to figure everything out.

Medoria 10-22-2008 02:18 PM

well ultimately of course it all is html and the css is handled by the wiki sysops.
Wikis however have their own syntax which you can see at Metawiki that chesters linked to.

DemiGodDanzig 10-22-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medoria (Post 535315)
As always you can also submit the information to the forum and allow someone else to add it to the wiki for you.

true
but it feels good to do it yourself

Bob 10-22-2008 03:59 PM

\O/ I WILL LEARN HOW TO USE THE WIKI! e

NoeJeko 10-22-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemiGodDanzig (Post 535325)
true
but it feels good to do it yourself

Not only that but the information gets updated quicker. If everything is dumped on the sysops they have to queue it and add it as they get time. When more people are adept at editing it shares the load.

Kudaranai 10-22-2008 09:10 PM

I bug Chesters, Medi and Zeg on IRC =o

Godbot3000 10-23-2008 01:23 PM

Just shove it onto the wiki and let someone else wiki-ify it. Contributions are contributions no matter how you look at it.

Medoria 10-23-2008 02:03 PM

Yes definitely, content is the most important thing. Doesn't matter if it looks pretty, that can always be fixed up later.

Vegeance 10-23-2008 03:13 PM

Agreed, not everyone has the time to upload images and wikify stuff, it would be awesome if we can share the work load. The wiki is actually not that hard to learn, it only took me 2 weeks to get the hang of it.

hueyple 11-05-2008 08:02 PM

oh wow this is very helpful
time to start studying up~!

Mercenary09 11-14-2008 09:03 AM

I think I feel less concerned on how what I added looks not so very pretty now, heh, and at least someone else will fix that down the road to make it look neater. So, others should not be so concerned and just add anyway!

CrimsonSlyr 12-14-2008 07:42 AM

I would gladly help people willing to learn how to edit wiki, just write me a visitors message and I would really appreciate a rep if you think i've done a good job teaching you. I've stopped editing wiki due to my disgust on how NTreevUSA has molested the game to its current state and banned Inno's right of free speech. Too bad Fantasians like me didn't get a chance to read what he wrote.