ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > Trickster Online > Trickster Online Questions & Answers

League of Legends
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
01-09-2013   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Facebook Fan

CasperMoon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to CasperMoon
IGN: CasperMoon | MusicMoon
Class: Dragon to_wizard
Level: 256.
Guild: Crisis.
Default Trickster Vs Windows 8?

Well, it is about that time, and I'm "Supposedly" to be getting a new laptop soon, overviewing my choices, the laptops in my favor ran Windows 8 or a 64-bit version; (I may be off) but I recently came across a thread with a windows 8 user who was having problems with Trickster and windows 8 cause Trickster is an XP game; system specs of the PC in my favor?

Let's see, 15.6" Screen.

6GB RAM.

750GB Hard Drive.

3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-3210M processor
Features a 3MB L3 cache and 2.5GHz processor speed.

Intel® Core™ i5 processor

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology

6GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive

15.6" LED-backlit TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen display (1366 x 768)
Intel® Wireless Display

750GB hard drive (5400 rpm)

Integrated facial recognition

UMA graphics

Built-in 1.0MP webcam

Multiformat media reader

2 USB 3.0 ports and 1 USB 2.0 port

Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11n)

BUUUUUT, aside from windows 8 performance concerns, are there any brands that you recommend for Trickster?
Since the laptop described above is an Asus, what brands do you recommend?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
01-09-2013   #2 (permalink)
Playing Finalfantasy XIV
Games
Trickster OnlineRusty Hearts
Awards Facebook Fan

kite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to kite384
IGN: ShugoKunisaki/kitekite
Class: Edgar/Tude to_buffalo
Level: 43/32
Guild: [[MoonlightC]]

i got a 3 year old samsung laptop

2GH
4GB ram
dualcore

using windows 8 professional 64 bit

Trickster is working perfectly fine for me win 8 doesnt give me any trouble

01-09-2013   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite384
i got a 3 year old samsung laptop

2GH
4GB ram
dualcore

using windows 8 professional 64 bit

Trickster is working perfectly fine for me win 8 doesnt give me any trouble
Ah, many thanks my friend, It's good to know that Windows 8 has no difficulties with Trickster.

Samsung makes laptops?

Last edited by CasperMoon; 01-09-2013 at 08:31 PM.

01-09-2013   #4 (permalink)
Playing Finalfantasy XIV
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

kite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond reputekite384 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperMoon
Ah, many thanks my friend, It's good to know that Windows 8 has no difficulties with Trickster.

Samsung makes laptops?
no problem ^^ i bought mine in germany and they had Samsung laptops ya O: never had problems with it good laptop :3

01-09-2013   #5 (permalink)
The Spankmeister

Spankeroo has a spectacular aura aboutSpankeroo has a spectacular aura aboutSpankeroo has a spectacular aura about
IGN: way too many
Class: All
Level: 300-400
Guild: Guardians

Quote:
Well, it is about that time, and I'm "Supposedly" to be getting a new laptop soon, overviewing my choices, the laptops in my favor ran Windows 8 or a 64-bit version; (I may be off) but I recently came across a thread with a windows 8 user who was having problems with Trickster and windows 8 cause Trickster is an XP game; system specs of the PC in my favor?

Let's see, 15.6" Screen.

6GB RAM.

750GB Hard Drive.

3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-3210M processor
Features a 3MB L3 cache and 2.5GHz processor speed.

Intel® Core™ i5 processor

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology

6GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive

15.6" LED-backlit TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen display (1366 x 768)
Intel® Wireless Display

750GB hard drive (5400 rpm)

Integrated facial recognition

UMA graphics

Built-in 1.0MP webcam

Multiformat media reader

2 USB 3.0 ports and 1 USB 2.0 port

Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11n)

BUUUUUT, aside from windows 8 performance concerns, are there any brands that you recommend for Trickster?
Since the laptop described above is an Asus, what brands do you recommend?
Win8 is a complete redevelopment of the Kernel and OS structure, unlike previous OS'es.

I was able to run TO under Win 8 Alpha fine (albeit not multiple clients). Some of my guildies run multiple clients no worries at all.

As long as you have the RAM and a solid DirectX (game still stuck using DirectX libraries) then you should have no problems, in fact it should be more stable than prior platforms.

Personally Win8 is nasty. Is built and developed for maintstream users (obviously) so it totally nasty for developers, high-end users, etc. It will never hit Corporations, hell there are very few enterprise corporations of govt depts who have migrated fully to Win 7. I know most of the top 100 microsoft install base orgs are looking at Win 7. Still to know of a single camel out there even thinking about going to Win 8.

I am finding it hard to source a top end notebook atm with Win 7, all the suppliers have removed Win7 as an option, so painful.

If anyone can get MORE than 4 TO clients running smoothly on your system I'd love to know the Specs and I will add it to my multi client discussion post (where that is sitting atm).

Happy New Year all (belated)

/spank

01-09-2013   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite384
no problem ^^ i bought mine in germany and they had Samsung laptops ya O: never had problems with it good laptop :3
And after three years? whew, gimmie.

01-09-2013   #7 (permalink)
Playing Finalfantasy XIV
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankeroo
If anyone can get MORE than 4 TO clients running smoothly on your system I'd love to know the Specs and I will add it to my multi client discussion post (where that is sitting atm).

/spank

i havent tried to run 4 clients
but 3 clients works good to me

2GH dualcore 4GB ram

01-09-2013   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankeroo
Win8 is a complete redevelopment of the Kernel and OS structure, unlike previous OS'es.

I was able to run TO under Win 8 Alpha fine (albeit not multiple clients). Some of my guildies run multiple clients no worries at all.

As long as you have the RAM and a solid DirectX (game still stuck using DirectX libraries) then you should have no problems, in fact it should be more stable than prior platforms.

Personally Win8 is nasty. Is built and developed for maintstream users (obviously) so it totally nasty for developers, high-end users, etc. It will never hit Corporations, hell there are very few enterprise corporations of govt depts who have migrated fully to Win 7. I know most of the top 100 microsoft install base orgs are looking at Win 7. Still to know of a single camel out there even thinking about going to Win 8.

I am finding it hard to source a top end notebook atm with Win 7, all the suppliers have removed Win7 as an option, so painful.

/spank
I'll be sure to let you know how many clients it can handle before lagging whenever I get the laptop.

If I understand you correctly, I also agree. I'd rather have Windows 7 rather than the Windows 8, mostly cause I dislike The boxes SO MUCH; Do you recommend any "Certain Brand" of laptop? As in, a specific company, such as Toshiba, hp, Acer, etc. Anything BUT Dell.

01-09-2013   #9 (permalink)
The Spankmeister

Spankeroo has a spectacular aura aboutSpankeroo has a spectacular aura aboutSpankeroo has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I'll be sure to let you know how many clients it can handle before lagging whenever I get the laptop.

If I understand you correctly, I also agree. I'd rather have Windows 7 rather than the Windows 8, mostly cause I dislike The boxes SO MUCH; Do you recommend any "Certain Brand" of laptop? As in, a specific company, such as Toshiba, hp, Acer, etc. Anything BUT Dell.
Hard to recommend anyone these days, but when it comes to mainstream OEM's the following I find are stable/good;

* Asus (always trustworthy, typically current hardware)
* Compaq (robust stable version of HP)
* Toshiba (a little pricy sometimes for what you get)

Acer make nice systems but like Dell they 'seem' to have a short life spam, aka they die for any of a myriad of reasons.

Asus also provide top end components (other than just pre builts) so they tend to put more effort into their stuff.

HP make top end current systems but ... I dont know why everyone I know who has purchased a HP notebook/laptop has issues after 12 or more months.

Compaq is HP of course well a merger of the old foes but Compaq systems are more robust.

I am currently looking at Asus systems - I prefer discrete graphics as opposed to shared on board too. But that typically won't affect TO much as GPU performance doesnt have much to do with TO, it's more the RAM. Thus shared RAM could cause issues if you try multi clienting.

The discussion I had on OS's, hardware, etc for multi clients was on official forums which of course is down at the moment. I'll grab the data from there and post a new thread here over the next few days, add some data from the comments above too !

Thank you all, and I hope this helps

/spank

01-09-2013   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Ruriko is a jewel in the roughRuriko is a jewel in the roughRuriko is a jewel in the roughRuriko is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Rosuvaise/Chifusa
Class: Sheep/Fox

Try to get Windows 7 because Windows 8 is designed for mobility. There's no start button on Win8. The desktop is like an iPad

01-10-2013   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruriko
Try to get Windows 7 because Windows 8 is designed for mobility. There's no start button on Win8. The desktop is like an iPad
If this is so, how does one go about finding/launching whatever he/she downloaded? If it may be a program? In other words, how would I launch trickster if I happened to get stuck with Windows 8?

UPDATE.

Nevermind, I searched up a how-to and a youtube video explained everything, there is, in fact, a start menu, well, it could be described as a start menu. But also, a list of every application with a shortcut, or activation icon.

Being an iOS geek, i'd be okay with an iPad-resemblance.

Last edited by CasperMoon; 01-10-2013 at 12:59 AM.

01-10-2013   #12 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Ruriko is a jewel in the roughRuriko is a jewel in the roughRuriko is a jewel in the roughRuriko is a jewel in the rough

Well the start menu is actually hidden. You can either use the windows key on your keyboard or use your mouse and hover to the upper-right and click. If you have a touch screen monitor you can just swipe to access start menu. My recommendations is only get win8 if you have a touch screen monitor

01-10-2013   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
Well the start menu is actually hidden. You can either use the windows key on your keyboard or use your mouse and hover to the upper-right and click. If you have a touch screen monitor you can just swipe to access start menu. My recommendations is only get win8 if you have a touch screen monitor
Hehe, Do you not like everything at the click of a button?~

My Color Is Grey.
But My Power Is White.
Would You Care To Partake In This Snowy Delight?

01-10-2013   #14 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Hehe, Do you not like everything at the click of a button?~
I like clicking, It's just that win8 is designed like you had an oversized iPad

01-10-2013   #15 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
I like clicking, It's just that win8 is designed like you had an oversized iPad
Oooh, I see what you're saying now. And I sort of do agree that it does feel more suited to the touch screen laptops. such as the YOGA.

My Color Is Grey.
But My Power Is White.

01-10-2013   #16 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

YoGaMbIt is on a distinguished road
IGN: YoGaMbIt
Class: Darkness to_gambler
Level: 365
Guild: A Day to Remember

you called?

01-10-2013   #17 (permalink)
Playing Finalfantasy XIV
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

i got a program that gives me exactly the same start button like we have on windows 7

01-10-2013   #18 (permalink)
Nonsense
Games
Trickster Online
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Enthalpy/ Reminder
Class: Duelist to_bunny

There are a few third party programs that can add back the start menu. The one I tried made my computer take longer to start up so I did a system restore.
I had to google how to shutdown a windows8 computer.

So far on Windows 8 I have had the following issues:
Cannot connect any apple devices properly (Tried an ipad 4 and an ipod shuffle), there is an issue with the digital signature of the driver (whatever that means)
Had issues installing an old Printer.
Problems with the installation of Matlab (this may have been an issue with me downloading it)
And issues with an old version of a Wacom Tablet driver (I had these issues on XP, but I could fix them there)- however downloading the online driver fixes this issue.

As for Trickster- I still have to run it as an admin however I have yet to get a "not genuine", blue screen of death or anything like that with it. I just get the occasional GG crash when I try to start a 2nd client a long time after my first client.

01-11-2013   #19 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula
There are a few third party programs that can add back the start menu. The one I tried made my computer take longer to start up so I did a system restore.

Cannot connect any apple devices properly (Tried an ipad 4 and an ipod shuffle), there is an issue with the digital signature of the driver (whatever that means)
Problems with the installation of Matlab (this may have been an issue with me downloading it)
And issues with an old version of a Wacom Tablet driver (I had these issues on XP, but I could fix them there)- however downloading the online driver fixes this issue.

As for Trickster- I still have to run it as an admin however I have yet to get a "not genuine", blue screen of death or anything like that with it. I just get the occasional GG crash when I try to start a 2nd client a long time after my first client.
I think the only thing that worries me is the apple devices part. It makes me cry a bit.

But otherwise, it doesn't sound much of a hassle.

My Color Is Grey.
But My Power Is White.

01-11-2013   #20 (permalink)
The Spankmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula

As Gameguard spawns as an affiliated process of Trickster (via splash.exe) and GG requires Admin level access (so it can act like a devil spawn and plague society) the game also must be run at Admin level.

As to the Apple devices, most likely an issue with the AMDS service. It was actually pretty notorious for misbehaving unless initial install was done in Admin mode.

/spank