ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Trickster Online General Guides (http://ggftw.com/forum/trickster-online-general-guides/)
-   -   badna0's guide to ownage TM (http://ggftw.com/forum/trickster-online-general-guides/9475-badna0s-guide-ownage-tm.html)

badna0 09-11-2008 12:33 AM

badna0's guide to ownage TM

WARNING: this guide is not for first time, unfunded, or nooby characters.

I started a few weeks ago with a project: create a lvl 90 bunny who could wear uber (lvl 90) myhax, and farm Tut with Quad Punch (TM 85).
I've gotten her now to 90/86, and I'm happy with ohkoing tut.
But my approach to training her can be applied just as easily to training nearly any character's TM. Here's a few tips:

1. Card Quests. All card quests are worth your time, even when that Koom/Chimu card seems like it's never going to drop. The TM they give is impressive, though the revo-era quests give much worse TM than the black swamp/p. school ones.

2. TM quests are optional before, say, ghost books (@ p. school). Most of them just don't give that much TM. On the other hand, it is a great long-term investment. Once you hit 2nd job, you need to really start doing every single TM quest available.

3. Episode 2 & 1 are a great way to get TM/base experience. Just make sure you're not going over your milestone base level... In my case, I knew that finishing a chapter in Ep. 2 gives 7m base exp (about 2 levels @ level 80) + 13m TM... So plan ahead and don't do the quest at level 89 if you're trying to stay below 90.

4. SUICIDE! Getting a good base/TM ratio is hard, especially once you hit TM 50-ish and the TM takes a lot longer to level. The solution to this is to train until your base % gets to the 90's, and then suicide yourself back down until your base gets to the 30's. Why does this work?
  • Suiciding decreases base experience, by about 2% of your current base. If you have 99.9% base, then one suicide will take off ~2% experience. AT 50% base, one suicide will take off ~1%, and at 1%, it willl take off ~.1%, etc. etc.
  • Suiciding does not decrease TM by any amount (tested with my lion. lost 0 TM at a suicide.) UNTIL level 120 (thanks to usopsama)
  • Thus suiciding will increase your base/TM ratio.
EDIT: some higher levels have warned about TM loss on death. I'd monitor TM levels as you suicide, I'm not sure if this rule still holds (eg. if NTreev patched it over or something).

This takes up the majority of your training time. Parties are hard to find too, because every 40 minutes or so @ bugbears, you'll need to leave the area and suicide about 40-50 times, which lots of people don't like.

5. Panaceas: FARM 250 of these, or buy them. at level 80, this quest gives a whopping 30m+ TM experience. That's enough for nearly 5 TM levels! If you add in Episode 2, chapter 1 (which is required to get to Eclipse Island), then that's 43m TM experience, total! that's a huge help to your TM level.

6. Training a Power/Charm character, and possibly a Sense:
Basically the same as training any other character, cept a) once you hit 50, you want to be suiciding at 99.9% at least 1-2 times per level. Use a pharoah set comped for Attr% to make this training the least painful (by speeding up the process).

7. Training a Magic Character: It's possible to power level their TM's, due to the long-range and 100% tagging of the magic noobie skill. Level your noobie char to level 5, then party them with any high level character, a guildie for example, or multi-client on your own pc (you can't join a party b4 level 5) and PPD to Tapasco. I suggest you try moths, b/c they're easy to KO. Here's what you do:
1. Tag Moth w/ noobie skill. Run noobie away.
2. Kill Moth w/ high level. O.o
Since Trickster gives base experience based on how much HP you take away, and gives TM experience based on the person who owns the tag on the monster as it dies, your noobie character gains the complete TM for each Fire Moth. The first Moth gave my sheep 7 TM levels! (turning her from 5/2 to 5/9).
Depending on how patient you are, you can get the TM quite high. I've gotten to 5/38 before I started getting bored (only gives ~1% per moth at that level). Then you can train your character by itself with uber TM skills (eg. my level 5 sheep using mastered mana ring on thiefmons, you get the idea).

EDIT: several questions were asked about this training technique. You can do it with any class, but since moths are aggro and your nooby skill will be melee, the technique is a lot harder to time (most of the time your char will die to the moth). Still, if you're patient...

EDIT:
8. Daily Quests:
Several of the Daily Quests in different areas give a fair amount of TM experience. This would probably be the most ideal way to farm TM as it gives pure TM experience, and no base. Given infinite time, it's possible to get to extremely high TM levels. A list of the daily TM quests is given below.
Quote:

Originally Posted by multippt (Post 630249)
Quoted, modified from here.
Spoiler!

9. Fiesta!!!!
Every other week Trickster holds an event with the Fiesta Zones. It's got a bunch of different things, but the important thing here is that if you use a Fiesta Ticket to get into your respective Fiesta Zone (drill them up anywhere), you can do monster quests for very good (~9%) TM. The upside (right now)? You can do them infinite times. This makes them one of the single best TM sources in the game. Abuse them while you can.

Fennal 09-22-2008 09:11 AM

Hmmm...looks pretty useful. Quick confirmation, though: does suiciding reduce TM by ANY amount? A friend and I were arguing about that the other day.

imamonstah 09-26-2008 05:26 PM

about the fire moth training that you mentioned.. does it work on any character types or just magic types..?

Nakigahara 09-26-2008 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imamonstah (Post 169863)
about the fire moth training that you mentioned.. does it work on any character types or just magic types..?

It's easier to do with magic types since their noobie skill has great accuracy but you can do it with any character. You'll just have a harder time actually hitting the monsters.

badna0 09-27-2008 08:10 AM

Actually, all nooby skills automatically tag no matter whether they hit or miss. However, with any other class, the melee nooby skill will get you owned by the fire moth about 75% of the time, unless your timing is very precise. Hence it's much more easier to train this way with the ranged magic skill, as it gives you a larger kite window.

Kenzor 09-27-2008 08:37 AM

i dont agree with the suiciding part, what use is having a TM level higher than ur base level when u could have both TM AND base high?

unless you were going for something like lvl 1 base with TM 100 or something... then the suiciding part is a good idea >.>

badna0 09-27-2008 09:09 PM

TM / base ratio is a worthless number, except when you're trying to fit in level caps for certain activities. Bossing a capped boss (or the new Chaos spire), for example (tut, skull, etc.) could be greatly helped by hitting a critical TM level; my bunny hit 85 allowing her to quad punch tut. Why should I care, you ask, that you can ohko a boss?

It makes it easier to prevent kill stealers from yoinking your legendaries.

badna0 09-28-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fennal (Post 163449)
Hmmm...looks pretty useful. Quick confirmation, though: does suiciding reduce TM by ANY amount? A friend and I were arguing about that the other day.

I tested this today. and the answer is NO.

My lion had 548179 TM exp. After 3 suicides, he had the exact same TM exp despite his base dropping by ~2.7%.

Janna 12-13-2008 05:45 PM

I've been doing this method and am only around 116/104... blah. I do 95%+ of monster quests that give good TM/no base, all card quests, and no key quests. Guess it's time to suicide a bit. o_o XD

Alekko 12-20-2008 08:20 AM

The other day at Tap1 with my cat using Evolution, after I died I lost 2% TM (I was at 97% TM)

Shoo 12-20-2008 10:02 AM

yeah, when i died on my lion i also lost 2 percent tm. maybe you should test it again. the fire moth thing is pretty smart i never thought about that.

badna0 12-22-2008 02:52 PM

I'll add a caveat to the suiciding thing. I'm currently on sabbatical from TO to play Atlantica. Also, I've added info on the daily quests.

Aria 12-30-2008 02:03 PM

I dont think it matters what your gap is, numerically speaking. In the end, its just a number. The only material difference it makes is that when you get to 200, you dont want to be grinding unnecessarily just for TM. Like my sheep for example. I have to grind her 19 TM points just for Rust and Basic Healing, and she is still only 228/230 at the mo. Thats a terrible gap, because at that level, my dragon had a TM of over 250. Lower base but more TM = more skills = ownage = faster grinding/more fun at pvp, etc.

lidoasianboy 02-27-2009 10:01 PM

Oops Wharf (lvl 65+) - 3 torn sail, 3 portable sunshade, 3 stoned lover (drill) [1,120,782 TM]

has been changed to (since the recent patch):

Oops Wharf (lvl 65+) - 1 torn sail, 1 portable sunshade, 1 galatea statuette (drill) [1,120,782 TM]

Aveu 02-28-2009 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lidoasianboy (Post 737278)
Oops Wharf (lvl 65+) - 3 torn sail, 3 portable sunshade, 3 stoned lover (drill) [1,120,782 TM]

has been changed to (since the recent patch):

Oops Wharf (lvl 65+) - 1 torn sail, 1 portable sunshade, 1 galatea statuette (drill) [1,120,782 TM]

This is not true.
I just tried it and it asks for 3 Torn Sails, 3 Portable Sunshades and 3 Galatea Statuettes.

badna0 03-01-2009 03:26 PM

kk I fixed it. Thanks for the advice, Riyoki.

Aria 04-17-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riyoki (Post 737482)
This is not true.
I just tried it and it asks for 3 Torn Sails, 3 Portable Sunshades and 3 Galatea Statuettes.

I think they changed it again? I just did it on my sheep now and he asked for 5 thick ropes this time @_@

badna0 04-17-2009 12:28 PM

edited. Thanks!

badna0 05-02-2009 08:45 AM

This is a semi-bump. Due to Sombre's request, I've updated the guide by adding Fiesta information.

luvval3ri3 05-21-2009 08:54 PM

This guide needs an update. Most of the daily quest items are inaccurate, for example Indiana John needs 5 crystals now, Monkey T wants 5 sleeping socks, and so on.