ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > Trickster Online > Trickster Online Guides > Trickster Online General Guides

League of Legends
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-30-2008   #1 (permalink)
( ゚ 3゚)pó< ○゚。^゚○。^゚

Thistle is on a distinguished road
Class: Fox to_fox
Default Thistle's Tips on How NOT to Be a Noob

What?

You might not think that this is not important. However, that is a lie! Many players, especially young ones, have varying ideas on what is proper ettiquette in MMOs. While some of these things may be in reference to Trickster Online, the general concept applies to any game out there.

Noobs are annoying people. Noobs are players who usually have just started but this also, sadly, applies to people who have played for a while as well. Here are some guidelines and things to remember when you want something, need help, or just for general good manners in gameplay. While this is obvious to some people, often new players have little clue as to what is and is not okay to do in game. Therefore, here's a small guide to hopefully help them. If some of the things seem redundant, believe me it's just for emphasis.

Rude Things and Why You Shouldn't Do Them

1. It is always rude to spam your requests to someone or on the map aloud.

Ask once for something. Don't ask 12, 20, or 50 times. Check forums to put up a request for an item you are looking for. That's why there are buying and trading forums on most fansites and the official site as well.

Especially in TO. Do NOT spam trade requests just because you want to ask if someone has an item. Do NOT stalk them across a map. Do not try to force yourself into a party to ask them the same thing over and over. Do not harrass their guildmates for the same reason.

2. Do not assume just because you want an item that people are going to give it to you or that they have it.

This goes for cash shop items. In TO with the ability to fuse items onto each other, people can often get 'cute' items to cover up ugly headgears. If someone has a gear you like and you want to offer to buy it. Once again, do not spam them to try and get it. If they say no, it really does mean no. Not: Offer me something else 20 times and I will give it to you.

3. No one is obligated to help you. Don't Harrass Them.

Other people on the map are going about their own business. You might have a need to ask a question or want help with something. That doesn't mean they have to help you. Yes, this sucks and it's not always fair. Sometimes trying to hunt for an item or rare can get really frustrating. This is where posting on forums or putting up a message in game comes in really helpful. The PM method will work wonders. MUCH better than stalking someone across a map and yelling at them because they ignored you. No one has to help you. Really. If you're polite, it puts a little icing on the cake and makes the idea of using THEIR time to help you more feasable.

4. Do not stalk and loot someone on a map.

This can be really annoying. Even if the person isn't picking up items, it can be super annoying and frustrating to have someone following along right beside you waiting for the cooldown on items so they can pick it up. You might want to whisper the person and ask them if they mind. Especially if you are looking for something yourself. They may already have it and be willing to sell or give it to you if you ask nicely.

5. Buy your own cash shop items.

Other people use their own money. Just because they have money doesn't mean your going to get any of it. They may not have spare points or they may be aware that it's a bannable offense to trade in game money for cash shop points. If you're still a kid living with your parents, ask them for money or get a card from your local wal-mart/riteaide/Target/whatever store. These things are sold all over the place. There are guides on how to use these as well, try searching for them!

Tips on How Not to Appear Like a Jerk With an IQ Lower Than a Jar of Mayonayse

1. Learn how to type.

Yes, I know everyone is not an English Major. However, no matter how smart or whatever you are... saying "i w8nt 2 b ur fri3nd," makes you look like an idiot. It also makes people cringe. I'm aware that English may also not be some player's first language. Still, it really helps when you -try- to spell things correctly and take your time to write your sentences out so that you are easier to understand.

2. Don't accuse someone of being rude or call them a scammer just because they don't do what you want.

This has to be up there with the epitome of stupidity. I understand that you may really -want- whatever it is you're asking for. Just because you are ignored or don't get it doesn't make the other person the bad guy.

3. Be polite.

Learning to be polite will take you very, very far with older and experienced players. I will tell you right off that personally I will ignore someone who says "Halp me" four times in a row. However, if I get a "Can u help me, please?", I am inclined to see what they want.

Saying 'please' instead of "pls" or the even ruder " PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!I NED HEALP!!!!" will work wonders. Trust me.

4. READ guides in forums.

Educate yourself on the game before you dive into it. Learn about a quest before you talk to the npcs. Try to figure it out on your own. If you still are having trouble, try asking in the forums as well. If you're reading this guide, obviously you know how to use a forum. Abuse that knowledge and learn a few things on your own.

5. LEARN TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON.

This is perhaps related to # 4. This is also a really, really good way to prevent looking like an idiot. The fact is, if you're wondering about it--someone else probably already asked at some point. So try searching the forums!

Don't type in "How do i get to lvl 200" in the search box. Try "leveling" instead. Single words get more results than multiple ones. Just a tip.

6. Abuse the Wiki.

If you can't find it on a forum, check the wikis. They're there for a reason.

Other things to remember...

Learning to be a polite and informed player will work wonders. People are going to respond better to someone who isn't an arse and who acts like they have some intelligence behind their sprite. Sometimes a player is just stuck having to do it on their own, no matter how much they need help.

Understanding these things will help you get along better with other members. If people were less rude, we'd all be happier to help each other. It's always hard to start off in an MMO. Everyone who has something worked for it. You're going to have to work for it too! That's part of the game. Playing in an MMO is meant to be fun and rewarding. You have to work for that.

Some people are always going to be popular. You might be the awesomest person on the planet. That doesn't mean other people are going to give two cents once you make your level one character.

In closing, just try to be polite and try to figure some stuff out for yourself. Working for things in game is more rewarding than spamming other people to get it. If you really need help, ask. And remember: just because -you- want something doesn't mean anyone else has to help or give it to you. However, if you ask nicely, they might be more inclined to listen.
| Thistly 14x Pure Bunny |

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-30-2008   #2 (permalink)
C'est La Vie

Mysteria will become famous soon enoughMysteria will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Mysteria
IGN: Eyelash
Level: 143

Lol technically there isn't an EXACT definition to NOOB. Either way great guide?

06-30-2008   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan
Special

Gryff0n is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gryff0n Send a message via MSN to Gryff0n
IGN: Gryff0n
Class: Duke to_gambler
Level: 205
Guild: Caballa

Lol I totally agree, good guide ^_^ finally someone said it all. Kudos to you Thistle

06-30-2008   #4 (permalink)
( ゚ 3゚)pó< ○゚。^゚○。^゚

Well we had one on MT but no one had posted anything yet. I figured I'd put my two cents in. Especially after being repeatedly harassed on my main, and then my alts, and then my guild mates were too over an item someone wanted. --; And then we were, apparently, the rude ones. -snort-

And yeah, there's definitely more than one type of Noob. -laugh- But it'd be a really long post if I tried to define all of it.

06-30-2008   #5 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

Quote:
4. READ guides in forums.
Educate yourself on the game before you dive into it. Learn about a quest before you talk to the npcs. Try to figure it out on your own. If you still are having trouble, try asking in the forums as well. If you're reading this guide, obviously you know how to use a forum. Abuse that knowledge and learn a few things on your own.
I don't know about you, but if the "NOOB" had all the quality you listed...they'd never get this far, especially not this thread. A "NEWBIE" might be a better term for starters.

06-30-2008   #6 (permalink)
Italian Lesbian Lolicon
Games
Metal Assault

Amanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really nice
IGN: Lucchinii
Class: Loli;Swordsmith
Level: 12;2x

Newb=New person that's willing to learn
Noob=New person that's too retarded to find out what to do, spams, is annoying etc.

06-30-2008   #7 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Level: E
Guild: Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistle
Everyone who has something worked for it. You're going to have to work for it too! ... Playing in an MMO is meant to be fun and rewarding. You have to work for that.
i love you and your guide

06-30-2008   #8 (permalink)
On the Radio
Special
Games
MapleStoryAudition 2PangyaTrickster Online
Awards Event WinnerSotW Junior

Kebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Kebin Send a message via Skype™ to Kebin
IGN: Kevin
Class: (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ lt_bard
Level: 19
Guild: (◕‿◕✿)

You forgot the most important one, don't beg others who are high level because even amateurs are poor

06-30-2008   #9 (permalink)
Italian Lesbian Lolicon
Games
Metal Assault

Amanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really niceAmanda is just really nice
IGN: Lucchinii
Class: Loli;Swordsmith
Level: 12;2x

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKakashi
You forgot the most important one, don't beg others who are high level because even amateurs are poor
This confused me xD the last part.

06-30-2008   #10 (permalink)
On the Radio
Special
Games

Kebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond reputeKebin has a reputation beyond repute

Most nubs think anyone over 150 has 100mil or something =P
Thats not true.. I am uber poor

06-30-2008   #11 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Level: E
Guild: Hardcore

.lol ur not the only one xkaka. haha i am not a galder making machine

06-30-2008   #12 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

NegaRutabaga will become famous soon enoughNegaRutabaga will become famous soon enough
Class: Cranky Monkeygirl Intraweb Commando - E.M.O. Division

The online term " noob " simply means an immature, unreasonable, annoying and/or rude person.

The term is NOT level specific in games. In other words even a lv 400 player in eTO can STILL be referred to as a noob if their behavior calls for it. It does not matter how long they've been playing or how high a level a player is. If they act like an obnoxious jerk or say/do something completely retarded...they can still be legitimately called a noob.

I'm saying the term " noob " is not exclusive to new players.
Some old players are also guilty of noob behavior.

Acting stupid and rude has no level restriction.

The term " newb " however is simply an abbreviated version of " newbie ".
It is not an insult. It's just a shorter way of saying " new player ".

06-30-2008   #13 (permalink)
( ゚ 3゚)pó< ○゚。^゚○。^゚

As I said earlier, I totally agree that it's not just "newbies" who have this kind of behavior. While alot of what I said is directed at people who are starting.. there are *plenty* of people who could read this that have been playing a while. I appreciate the comments from everyone.

And there is always a good chance that someone who might browse the forums may read this and garner some good habits from it. Which is why I made it. ^ ^ At least that is what I intended.

06-30-2008   #14 (permalink)
STEP
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardSotW BeginnerWandering EyeFacebook FanTwitter Fan

WhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePhuc Send a message via MSN to WhatThePhuc
IGN: Phuc Tran
Class: Visual Arts Major lt_warlord
Level: 23
Guild: University of California, San Diego

good guide on etiquette

06-30-2008   #15 (permalink)
On the Radio
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaRutabaga
The online term " noob " simply means an immature, unreasonable, annoying and/or rude person.

The term is NOT level specific in games. In other words even a lv 400 player in eTO can STILL be referred to as a noob if their behavior calls for it. It does not matter how long they've been playing or how high a level a player is. If they act like an obnoxious jerk or say/do something completely retarded...they can still be legitimately called a noob.

I'm saying the term " noob " is not exclusive to new players.
Some old players are also guilty of noob behavior.

Acting stupid and rude has no level restriction.

The term " newb " however is simply an abbreviated version of " newbie ".
It is not an insult. It's just a shorter way of saying " new player ".
If you're talking to me, I am saying that a person who is already asking like a noob would ask higher levels to give them money I guess. Most "noobs" are low level players, even if most lower level characters are considered "newbies" there are many "noobs" in "Newbies"
o_O

07-01-2008   #16 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

NegaRutabaga will become famous soon enoughNegaRutabaga will become famous soon enough
Class: Cranky Monkeygirl Intraweb Commando - E.M.O. Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKakashi
If you're talking to me,
Nope.
I wasn't responding to anything you posted.

My comments are usually not directed at anyone in particular. I'm very impersonal online, unless I'm asking someone a question. Any bold and underlined text in my posts is only intended for general clarity when anyone reads it. I like to get my point across. Once.

Any player, of any level, acting like a total dope can be considered a noob.
That was my point. To everyone.

07-01-2008   #17 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

Good guide deserves a sticky. *nudges mods*

07-01-2008   #18 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

Lol, nice guide :x

/sticky-ed

07-01-2008   #19 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Volt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Volt

Thumbs up!

Wow, that sums it all up. Being polite is so much better that spamming PLZZZZZZ

I picked up a few interesting stuff too.. lulz

soooo deserved the stickyfication

Like DeathNote? Like Gundam? Go watch Code Geass =D

07-01-2008   #20 (permalink)
( ゚ 3゚)pó< ○゚。^゚○。^゚

Oh, thanks for the sticky! I'm glad you all find it useful.