ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > Trickster Online > Trickster Online Guides > Trickster Online General Guides

Aika Online
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Aika Online

Rating:  

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
06-07-2013   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker
Games
Trickster OnlineDragon NestDungeon Fighter Online

0nett has a spectacular aura about0nett has a spectacular aura about
Default Japanese for jTO

NOTE: Before you think about playing jTO, make sure to read Kanoka's guide about jTO which can be found here: /forum/trickster-onl...visit-jto.html

Introduction:

So, you say you wanna play Trickster, eh? But what's that? There's no English version? Oh no! Whatever shall we do? Never fear! It is very possible to play Trickster in Japanese!

Now before you grab your chopsticks and don your kimono, there's a few things you should know.

1) Although you may be able to navigate jTO's UI fairly well, keep in mind this is an MMORPG, not a console game. That means, to enjoy the game to its full extent, you must be able to understand Japanese. I'm sure you didn't play eTO because you enjoyed picking up items and looking at the pretty art in your MyView window. Your best memories most likely are associated with the people you met in-game.

2) Even if you do know some Japanese, it will be very hard to communicate with other players. Trickster is an MMORPG and as with all other MMO's, it has its own unique "dialect".

For example, let's say you were going on a Tut run on your lvl.70 bard. Unfortunately, you're new to the game so you completely messed up your character. You have a 4411 build with all your stat points placed in DX and your only skill is AR at level 4. Your best weapon is an Ult. Bokken your guildmate gave in exchange for that shiny Level 7 Ult. Gold Rod with 4 slots comped for LK that you had no use for.

Sure, the above situation would most likely never happen. But imagine if I had just said all that in Japanese. Kind of scary, huh? Even if you do know a lot of Japanese, there's a lot of game terms that you'll have to learn. And if you've just started studying Japanese, it will be difficult to understand other players simply because the starting 私はりんごを食べました sentence structure can only get you so far.

3) There's a reason jTO is region-blocked. jTO is for Japanese people living in Japan who know Japanese. If you're going to play, DO NOT let people know you are not from Japan. To the extent of my knowledge, it is a bannable offense to play jTO from outside of Japan. If you'd like an English speaking community, please contact Kanoka about joining her jTO guild.

But if you're okay with what I mentioned above, then I hope the list of terms below will help make your experience in jTO smoother and more enjoyable!

Disclaimer:

Firstly, I am by no means fluent in Japanese.

Secondly, the terms listed below were chosen because of their appearance in and/or relevance to jTO. They are therefore defined with respect to their usage in the game. Please do not blame me if you decide to use these words on a Japanese exam and end up getting a bad grade!

Third, this list is far from being finished and frankly, I don't know if it's possible to finish it. There's so much that could be in here and an argument could be made for any word to be included. That being said, I will continue to update this as time goes on. If you have any suggestions, recommendations, or corrections, please let me know! I'd be happy to hear what you have to say!

About This Guide:

Although anybody who is interested can use this guide, it is easiest to use if you already know some Japanese. Most of the terms in this list consist of kanji compounds so it definitely would not hurt to have a good amount of kanji under your belt. If you can recognize some of the kanji in the terms below, the compounds will become much easier to remember.

Also, as a hint to Japanese learners, remember to use kanji radicals to your advantage! Instead of seeing something like 結婚 and being intimidated by it, break it up into parts. The first kanji (結) consists of the characters for string (糸), samurai (士), and mouth (口) while the second kanji (婚) consists of the characters for woman (女), male (氏), and sun (日). Put this together and what do you get? A man whose mouth is tied shut while a woman holds him over a flame, also known as marriage. While it may be hard to imagine a story like this for every kanji compound, it is much easier to remember kanji by parts rather than by strokes.

How to Use This Guide:
Now to get to the contents of the actual list. Here is an example of a typical entry:

漢字:  かんじ   "kanji"
Chinese characters (n.)

All entries follow this same format:

Word: Furigana in hiragana "Furigana in romaji"
Defintion (part of speech)

Entries are enlarged to make it easier to read the kanji. If there's a question mark by the reading, it means I'm not entirely sure how to read it. Since kanji can have multiple readings and there are some compounds that are specific to the game, I'm really not sure how to read them. Sorry! D:

With eTO shutting down, the English-speaking monsters have nowhere to go! D: So I decided I'd give them a home in this guide! Some monsters like this lil' guy have decided to make their homes in between the different sections of the list. In other words, the monsters are markers separating different series of related words within the same category.

Also, a note about the way I notate parts of speech. I am personally awful at parts of speech, so I would like to apologize if my system is hard to understand. I would also like to apologize for the awful layout and appearance of the list. I'm such a noob when it comes to posting and formatting on forums and stuff ;-;  申し訳ない。 m(_ _)m

(n.): A noun (a person, place, or thing)

(v.): A verb, an action word (It's what you do!)

(adjectival n.): A noun that functions as an adjective. For example, 公式 (koushiki) is a noun used to mean "formality". However, it can be combined with a word such as サイト (saito; website) to create the term 公式サイト, meaning "official website".

(+ する = v): A noun which may act as a verb when you add a する (suru) at the end of it. For example: 装備 (soubi) by itself means "equipment". By adding a する to the end (装備する; soubi suru), this word now means "to equip".

( + の = genitive): A noun that may modifiy another noun by linking it with a の (no). For example: 個人 (kojin; personal) and
商店 (shouten; shop) are both nouns. By linking them with a の (個人の書店), kojin (personal) is now being used to modify shouten (shop). Thus, 個人の商店 means a personal shop.

List of terms by topic:

I) Getting Started:
Spoiler!

II) Helpful Terms:
Spoiler!

III)Useful Verbs
Spoiler!

IV) Website Terms:
Spoiler!

V) Game Terms:
Spoiler!

Last edited by 0nett; 06-09-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-07-2013   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker
Games

VI) Game Windows:
Spoiler!

VII) Places:
Spoiler!

Helpful Tools:

Tangorin: A very helpful and accurate online Japanese-English dictionary. Good if you want to see English definitions of Japanese words along with parts of speech and examples in sentences. Just a warning though, the example sentences can be very strange sometimes.
http://tangorin.com/

Weblio: This is another good Japanese-English dictionary, but is almost entirely in Japanese. If you're not afraid of looking at walls of moon runes, this is also a great website for finding you English definitions!
http://ejje.weblio.jp/

Denshi Jisho: I use this site mostly to look up kanji I don't know. Its ability to look up kanji based on multiple radicals is the reason this is my go-to online kanji dictionary. While it is also able to present definitions of words, I feel it is not as good as other dictionaries in that respect.
http://jisho.org/kanji/

Rikai: I cannot tell you how great this thing is! Without Rikai, this guide would have taken much much longer to compile. If you have this add-on installed, you can hover your mouse over kanji and it will give you its reading along with a definition! The Firefox variant is called Rikai-chan while the Google Chrome version is called Rikai-kun.

For Firefox users: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...don/rikaichan/
For Chrome users: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...cebammhp?hl=en

Last edited by 0nett; 06-09-2013 at 08:33 PM.

06-09-2013   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Trickster OnlinePhantasy Star UniverseLuna OnlineBattlestar Galactica Online

Cait is a glorious beacon of lightCait is a glorious beacon of lightCait is a glorious beacon of lightCait is a glorious beacon of lightCait is a glorious beacon of lightCait is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Cait
IGN: Caiterz
Class: bunny to_champion
Level: 100(rTO) 271(eTO)
Guild: None (rTO) «Firefly»«Serenity» (eTO)
Xfire: Caiternoodle
Talking

Thanks for posting this, 0nett :3

I'd like to play jTO someday..

Kanoka was helping me learn a bit, but once i got to the katakana... I kinda felt lost. It was hard enough know "KA" is "THIS CHARACTER" but now it also means "THIS" too? ;_;

But great tutorial <3 i hope it helps some people out

06-09-2013   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Kanoka is a jewel in the roughKanoka is a jewel in the roughKanoka is a jewel in the roughKanoka is a jewel in the rough
IGN: kanoka
Class: Witch
Level: 310

i'll Probably be active again soon (AFTER finals*)

So I'll be able to manage my jTO guild again :3
The name of the guild is スーパーマーケット☆
(translation: Super market)

edit: 0nett, I Logged back in (after a pretty long update), and I made you the sub-master of the guild.
As guild master, I give you full permission to Handle the guild in a way you find best fit.
(Please be careful x3)
I hope this helps out, since I still got more finals to handle before I start playing again x,x.

btw here is the jTO wiki.
TricksterWiki - TricksterWiki
Its in japanese of course, but using google translate(The Translate the whole page one*) will make it into a pretty reliable resource on information. (though a little puzzle work is required*)

Tip: while using google translate, if you are doing something that is DIALOG specific, such as tut's wisdom trials, you can hover over the text to see the original dialog.

either way, if you want to play jTO, check out my guide if u haven't yet~
/forum/trickster-onl...trickster.html

Last edited by Kanoka; 06-09-2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: more info

06-09-2013   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker
Games

@Cait Yeah, Japanese can be kind of intimidating at first, but if you stick with it I'm sure you'll get it down! : D If you'd still like to play, I'm fairly active now that I'm done with school so you can be sure that there's another English player to keep you from feeling alone in an alien land c:

@Kanoka ありがとうございました。かのかさんのお帰りまでギルドのお世話をします。Thanks, I'm honored! :,D There hasn't been much activity lately but hopefully that'll change now that summer's here. Good luck on your finals! : D

Last edited by 0nett; 06-09-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: don't like dem smilies D:<

06-26-2013   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Awards Facebook Fan

DreadPirate is a jewel in the roughDreadPirate is a jewel in the roughDreadPirate is a jewel in the roughDreadPirate is a jewel in the rough
IGN: 0Xavier0/0Cerberus0
Class: Charm-Gambler/Power-Gladiator lu_krieg
Level: 215/132
Guild: ~CRiSiS^

I'll happily join if someone can provide company

06-27-2013   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Kanoka is a jewel in the roughKanoka is a jewel in the roughKanoka is a jewel in the roughKanoka is a jewel in the rough

I'll probably be back soon. atm, The only guild-mate I know is active is 0nett. I Haven't played for a while due to work/school, But 0nett been handling the guild, and hopefully more people have joined :P

06-27-2013   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Games
Ragnarok Online 2ElswordEden EternalTrickster Online
Awards Screenshot of the Week Winner

Berochan has a spectacular aura aboutBerochan has a spectacular aura aboutBerochan has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Berochan
Class: Fluffeh Sheepie to_librarian
Level: 23x
Guild: Firefly~

This next week I'll be coming back to jTO c:
I've been so busy this time that I just had to quit, but since my tests are over, I can play for hourssss.

06-28-2013   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Awards Facebook Fan

DreadPirate is a jewel in the roughDreadPirate is a jewel in the roughDreadPirate is a jewel in the roughDreadPirate is a jewel in the rough
IGN: 0Xavier0/0Cerberus0
Class: Charm-Gambler/Power-Gladiator lu_krieg
Level: 215/132
Guild: ~CRiSiS^

Why not make/join an English private server? If everyone disagrees on this, do tell me how to get jTO.

06-29-2013   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

The main issue with Private servers are they are considered illegal in the usa. Those who host servers, can get sued by [publishers], which can end in jail time along with millions of $ of fines.

Since the US courts have sided with publishers many times in the past in the united states, its most likely that the private server hoster will lose the lawsuit.
ex: Maple-News » Nexon Awarded $3.6 Million in Private Server Lawsuit

Though I do Have the Server hardware and network hosting capabilities, (*but no local copy of trickster online*), I do not Plan on doing anything that would risk costing me millions of dollars. I don't have millions of dollars Q Q

Last edited by Kanoka; 06-29-2013 at 01:22 AM. Reason: grammer

07-08-2013   #11 (permalink)
♚ Fairytale Princess
Games
Trickster OnlinePangyaRusty Hearts

Sakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Kanani
Class: Wi/Wa Soul Master to_soulmaster
Guild: Astro Blitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirate
Why not make/join an English private server? If everyone disagrees on this, do tell me how to get jTO.
That and private server talk is against ggFTW rules.

Just throwing that one out.