ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > Trickster Online > Trickster Online General Chat

Perfect World
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Perfect World

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
10-06-2012   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Spamtastic will become famous soon enough
Default A little bit of GameGuard info

This thread mainly applies to those currently affected by GameGuard.

Much like a root-kit virus, GameGuard (GG) hides itself and attaches to system processes while making itself difficult to kill. The actual GG process isn't even shown when you check task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del). Instead, what is visible are two processes called gamemon.des and gamemon64.des, these tasks can be near impossible to kill manually without rebooting the computer.

To start things off, ill just put my computer specs as a benchmark to show regardless if you have a high-end computer or low-end computer it will not make a difference. GG does not discriminate when it comes to messing you up.

The day after I came back from a small hiatus I had to update Trickster and much to my surprise GG came along with it. I've had plenty of bad experiences with it before but this time brings the threat level to a whole new level. It has been almost 1 week since I have returned to Trickster and my computer has already experienced multiple crashes/freezing/lock-ups. As well as various programs crashing such as my web browser (Under FireFox, Chrome and IE engines), Skype, and Windows Gadgets. In one instance my Windows became unverified after closing the client. In another instance after a crash my startup ent corrupt and I required an emergency startup repair.

Below I've attached a list of errors compiled in Windows Reliability Monitor.
All of which have occurred since GG was installed and running (while playing Trickster).

The reason why I list GG a threat is due to the fact it hooks itself onto running system processes. When GG does not operate properly and causes programs or the computer to crash, this also means those vital system processes/files have ended in an unsafe manner. Frequent freezing and crashing makes windows unstable (See chart below).

In conclusion
Now I'll get to my point here for anyone experiencing problems since installing GG.
If any of these errors occurred while playing Trickster, 99% chance it was due to GG:
Windows Aero (That glass effect on window borders) crashes
Graphics driver crashed for unknown reason
Blue screen
Sudden shut down/restart
Internet browser lag/crashing/freeze
Your version of Windows is no longer verified
You require a startup repair

If you've been turning off your anti-virus software, re-installing windows, or whatever crazy acts just to play Trickster; you need to think, is it worth it to go through all that trouble? Is it worth it to break your computer just to play this game? As long as GG implemented, then unfortunately, I won't be part of this wonderful community of players anymore. So for now, (or forever,) Good-bye to everyone in Trickster and a special farewell to those who know me.

Spamtastic is now retired

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
10-06-2012   #2 (permalink)
Nonsense
Games
Trickster Online
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Nebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond reputeNebula has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Enthalpy/ Reminder
Class: Duelist to_bunny
Guild: Guardians

Awwww...
Bye Spam, it sure was nice having you as part of our guild and getting to know you... And your strange sleeping habbits and dinner habbits.
It is a shame that gameguard was the reason, but things cannot be helped. Given your degree, your comouter is way too important to have damaged.

Anyways, if you would like to notify me of some of those things you find such as big bird in the sun and the giant picture of earth, I would be interested.

Lastly, I shall have to equip you with enough rice to last till death in the outside world.

L

10-06-2012   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Ruriko is a jewel in the roughRuriko is a jewel in the roughRuriko is a jewel in the roughRuriko is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Rosuvaise/Chifusa
Class: Sheep/Fox

You should post that on the official forum since it's a good article that it may get the GM's to think over it again

10-06-2012   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Games
Trickster OnlineLa Tale
Awards Wandering Eye

Niata is a jewel in the roughNiata is a jewel in the roughNiata is a jewel in the roughNiata is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Niata
Class: Soul Master to_soulmaster
Level: 400
Guild: Bloodline

Spoiler!

GameGuard doesn't allow running other processes while it's running.
It was the same in the past. And I still don't know why GameRage took an old Version. This is not the newest, at other games I doesn't have this annoying problems. >.>

10-06-2012   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict

zemega is just really nicezemega is just really nicezemega is just really nicezemega is just really nicezemega is just really nice

Cheapskate perhaps? Maximising profits while minimising costs? Taking the lowest cost option.

10-06-2012   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Quote:
GameGuard doesn't allow running other processes while it's running.
It was the same in the past. And I still don't know why GameRage took an old Version. This is not the newest, at other games I doesn't have this annoying problems. >.>
The purpose of GameGuard is not to block all other processes. It's to block potential hacking threats to whatever software it is attached to. Due to piss-poor programming it lags/freezes/crashes other processes.

Check your GameGuard.ver, it is recent. My final log in was running GameGuard Rev 1895. As far as I can tell, this is quite recent. nProtect has no support for Windows 7 yet, therefore GameGuard still hijacks system dll files like it did in older revisions. However W7 does not allow this which is most likely the reason for the haywire mess being experienced by so many.

Quote:
Anyways, if you would like to notify me of some of those things you find such as big bird in the sun and the giant picture of earth, I would be interested.
For sure! B has my email address so be sure to drop me a line. Then we can exchange interesting phenomena's and other whatnots~

10-06-2012   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Special
Games
AuditionMapleStoryTrickster OnlineDofus
Awards Facebook Fan

Mazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond repute

Well according to what was said in another thread, GM Raven said that GG was there to prevent map fails, but since all the maps went down for what, 5 days, makes me wonder why they haven't actually gotten rid of it yet. I haven't encountered any big problems like yours, but I have had a lot of annoyances. Suppose we'll have to see what they will do about this when next weeks maintenance rolls around. It's going to lose them players, which will effectively lose them money, so I really think they should remove it sooner or later...

Here's hoping I suppose. |:

10-06-2012   #8 (permalink)
♚ Fairytale Princess
Games
Trickster OnlinePangyaRusty Hearts

Sakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Kanani
Class: Wi/Wa Soul Master to_soulmaster
Guild: Astro Blitz

While I have not encountered any real problems on my XP laptop, this gives me more incentive to not run TO on my desktop, even if I was able to log on via that.

Take care, Spam. :< Even tho we haven't talked much, it was a pleasure to chat with you~

10-07-2012   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Trickster OnlineGrand Chase
Awards Event WinnerFacebook Fan

Wendyfav3 is a jewel in the roughWendyfav3 is a jewel in the roughWendyfav3 is a jewel in the roughWendyfav3 is a jewel in the rough

if this is seriously the case. I wonder if it Possible to sue the company.
also has this info made it way to the Official Trickster Forum ???
cuz if not then I will go on ahead and Post this myself.

10-07-2012   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Special Games
La TaleTrickster OnlinePangyaROHAN: Blood Feud
Awards MoM Award

Aria has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamtastic
Internet browser lag/crashing/freeze
Your version of Windows is no longer verified
I've had these two symptoms.

And here I was wondering why I have "This copy of Windows is not original" stuck on the bottom right of my screen all the time. |:

Spoiler!

Does anyone know if this is reversible?

Last edited by Aria; 10-07-2012 at 01:56 PM.

10-07-2012   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

SiegRiffein has a spectacular aura aboutSiegRiffein has a spectacular aura about
IGN: SiegRiffein
Class: Gambler
Level: 2xx

Sigh, here I go on hiatus again, for your same reason... not worth it. I will only play again if they remove that damn thing once and for all.

10-08-2012   #12 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare
I've had these two symptoms.

And here I was wondering why I have "This copy of Windows is not original" stuck on the bottom right of my screen all the time. |:

Spoiler!

Does anyone know if this is reversible?
If your windows version becomes unverified, use this link to re-validate it.
Genuine Microsoft Software

Some food for thought about GG:
GG has existed and been used by almost every free MMO that has comes out of Asia due to availability of security software for games and affordability. Since INCA Internet (the company behind GG) is pretty much all Asia has for game security vs budget to hire another company to make a unique security, this is what I think happens to so many people's gaming woes when implemented.

Each game backed by GG security is running the same version, regardless of the game they play. Only a few edits to properties/attributes (ie configuration settings, the .ini file in GG folder) are quirked to half-ass match for said games purpose. The big problem here is...games runs differently, meaning the use of different engines, coders who write unique code for their game, and style of game-play. Instead of having unique security to protect those aspects of the each game, you end up with a 'jack-of-all trades, master of none' type security. Something designed to take a guess when it thinks there is foul play going on.

So maybe FireFox's pop-up/ad block script sets off GG. Or media players get information action sets off GG. Or Photoshop's check drivers and ram sets off GG. The list goes on. This piece of crap security with configuration settings for the game only will have its mess-you-n'-your-computer-up action respond to anything that is not related to the game you play.

I'm guessing the main reason why GG came back is because the development is still handled overseas and their choices of security software are limited...as in virtually non-existent. Probably the most baffling thing about GG is the fact that there are HUNDREDS of "help me please, it's GG again" threads/posts and there are NO 100% fixed it answers (-edit- at least none with a consensus proven explanation). It is really a case of this world would be better off without them deal imo.

Last edited by Spamtastic; 10-08-2012 at 02:35 AM.

10-08-2012   #13 (permalink)
R
oooo
Games
Trickster OnlineCabal OnlineDivine SoulsElsword
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

R has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond reputeR has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to R

At this point; I'm not entirely sure why you people are still logging on the game. Clearly this poorly modified GameGuard is doing more harm than good.

10-12-2012   #14 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker
Games
Angels OnlineAsda StoryCloud NineCombat Arms

gamefreak20 is on a distinguished road
IGN: jeenay2
Class: Sense to_fox
Level: 292
Guild: Astro Blitz, Rapsody

I was having some of the same issues :| I ran TO 7 times all of them failed and on the 7th time it crashed my computer and blue screened it. That was last week and after that I pretty much quit TO. Even though I put nearly 6 years into this game and a bit to much money, it's not worth crashing a computer over as you said spamtastic. I hope things go well for you though. It's pretty much the same here as well.

10-12-2012   #15 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Games
Trickster Online
Awards Facebook Fan

Inspiration will become famous soon enough
IGN: Inspiration
Class: Master Procrastinator to_champion
Guild: Astro Blitz

We'll miss you jee :<

Thanks Spam, for posting all that helpful information. That is a lot of problems @.@. Had the sudden disconnect one as well, can't remember if Trix was running at the time though (it probably was).

Hopefully, they remove GameGuard, and soon, but I won't be holding my breath.

"The sad part about a good series ending is feeling like there is so much more that could be written."-K.M.

10-29-2012   #16 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker
Games
Angels OnlineAsda StoryCloud NineCombat Arms

gamefreak20 is on a distinguished road
IGN: jeenay2
Class: Sense to_fox
Level: 292
Guild: Astro Blitz, Rapsody

How is the problem with GG going anyways?