ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Trickster Online Fandom (http://ggftw.com/forum/trickster-online-fandom/)
-   -   Trickster Naming Conventions (http://ggftw.com/forum/trickster-online-fandom/9083-trickster-naming-conventions.html)

Aria 09-06-2008 07:38 PM

Trickster Naming Conventions

Have you ever wondered why a lot of TO players (I don't know if this happens in other MMO's) name themselves in a similar fashion?

I'm talking about naming trends.

Examples:

InMemoryOf / InMeMoRyOf_______
x______ <-- x in front of a name, e.g. xHayate
i_____ <-- iRain, iTalk, iCall, etc.
oO____Oo <-- O's before and after the name
xX_____Xx <-- X's this time, and I've seen this outside TO
_______x3 <-- The x3 smilie before or after the person's name

Out of personal taste, if a name I like is taken, I won't attempt to duplicate it by adding x's, o's or anything like that to it. No offence to people with names like that of course, I've tried it myself too. My sheep was xSayakax before she reidentified to Sayakah. After a while, I'm just not comfortable with a generic looking name, but many people seem content about it.

*looks around shiftily* e_e

TMM 09-06-2008 07:41 PM

The inmemoryof things were wTe's doing.

eD3N 09-06-2008 07:44 PM

Usually people are so unoriginal they can't find anything else than overused names

adding smilies or letters is usually a hint of massive fail ( yes i'm hypocritical )

and then there's the _ _ _ _BR people *sigh*

I prefer clean, un-used names that don't come from an anime :/

the inMeMoRyOf bla bla usually implies that person has been banned before and restarted, or his buddy got banned.

Tardar 09-06-2008 07:48 PM

Most of those are fairly unique to TO. But like xX______Xx isn't, and _____BR, or the traditional, [narutolingo]12945884881828488582881, aren't.

People just like to imitate popular names. For me, I TRY to be original. I use words, like Audacious, past experiances, TzuNammi (Was a game my family played at one point. We turned words into names. Tsumani -> Sue Name, and then I malalized it, Sue Name -> Tzu Nammi.), or anime/manga characters I LOVE. (Momiji, duh. =-=)

Aria 09-06-2008 07:53 PM

o_O Most of my names are existing names of either anime chars, mythological figures or real life names/people, but slightly modified because the original version is taken. Adding a letter or two is a far cry from all these oO's and InMemoryOf's tho. xD

Kat 09-06-2008 07:56 PM

I think the
xX's and oO's are kind of annoying... but people have reasons.
Some might just like how they look.
If I had a pretty original name, and decided that I'd make a character with the name, then found out it was already taken, oO or xX would just help get around it.

I wouldn't call it duplicating...

I think the i____ is kind of creative. It wasn't that popular when I made iTalk.
orz

... I don't understand why people put BR after their name though.
Why should we care if you're BR? o___o

Tuvis 09-06-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlNextDoor (Post 140587)
... I don't understand why people put BR after their name though.
Why should we care if you're BR? o___o

Since most of them may have a hard time with english, it makes it easier for them to find eachother.

Jpen 09-06-2008 08:05 PM

alot of people also name their characters similarly or have one common characteristic between them (all my chars' names start with "In".

Tardar 09-06-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuvis (Post 140592)
Since most of them may have a hard time with english, it makes it easier for them to find eachother.

And yet, they still run around going "BR??????????????" if you just say a single syllable to them. (Not to stereotype that all Brazilians go "BR????????" the instant, I'm just pointing out most that I have met that are ____BR, do that.)

Khmer2k1d5 09-06-2008 08:27 PM

I am so original 8D Who else would come up with an alias such as mines?

Though I must admit, I have thought of xKhmer2k1d5 or iKhmer2k1d5... never really worked out @__@;

VorpalBunny 09-06-2008 08:37 PM

I am really suprised there's so many players named Loinman. I've seen at least 4. There's more Loinmans than there are Lionmans D:

Khmer2k1d5 09-06-2008 08:40 PM

Loin? really? Maybe they like beef @___@;

Kusuriuri 09-06-2008 09:04 PM

Im with Ameh, I dislike using things like xX and oO and whatnot in my names. I like to keep mine fairly original.. and clean ._. clean as in, without all that extra junk if the original name I wanted is taken.

LordItachi 09-06-2008 11:57 PM

I think the xX, etc., make it easier to remember than completely different names. :py04:

WhatThePhuc 09-07-2008 12:14 AM

mine is all caps and has < > on the sides
which never shows up correctly on any rankings, level or quest etc.

about the Xx thing
the big X is on the outside, the small x is on the inside
so it's Xx_____xX not xX____Xx
and i've been seeing that since i was in elementary school, and not in games
it was really popular among the azn crowd
AloNg wItH tHe TypIcAl AzN TypiNg StYle
so that has to do with naming in general, not just in games
and alot of people use Xx in the original name they want, not always adding Xx to a taken name that they want

Kusuriuri 09-07-2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatThePhuc (Post 140791)
about the Xx thing
the big X is on the outside, the small x is on the inside
so it's Xx_____xX not xX____Xx

step people do both .____. I see both all the time, xX...Xx and Xx...xX

WhatThePhuc 09-07-2008 12:20 AM

just telling how i saw it originally used
xX is fairly newer to me