Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
08-05-2010   #1 (permalink)
Pixellated Yeti Goodness.
Special

Dook is just really niceDook is just really niceDook is just really niceDook is just really nice
IGN: Dookoon/Dashyat
Class: Mighty Ferret Militia
Level: Low
Guild: Noobs Club
Default Laptop won't get past loading screen.

So umm... my computer crashed recently.

I was loading a video on youtube and playing Atlantica Online at the same time. (Normally this isn't a problem to the computer: not even a FPS slowdown on the game.) Before the computer crashed, however, it froze a bit and a message saying "Graphics driver stopped responding and has recovered" popped up. 5 seconds after the pop-up the compie crashed.

So now, whenever I turn the computer on, the windows logo doesn't appear after the loading bar finishes. What appears instead is a black screen and some wierd graphical glitch.

BUT! I can load up safe mode (and hence able to post this question).

I've only updated the graphics card driver so far and that didn't help.

Can anyone throw me some ideas please? xD

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I'm using Windows Vista and my graphics card is GeForce 8400M G

Last edited by Dook; 08-05-2010 at 01:17 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-05-2010   #2 (permalink)
Special

Dook is just really niceDook is just really niceDook is just really niceDook is just really nice

Hmm sorry guys, scratch that. Somehow the problem FIXED ITSELF!! O_O

I just restarted the computer after making that post and now I'm back to full functionality. :v

Nope, it crashed again after 30 minutes. This time though, whenever I start the computer up it crashes after logging in. (I can now go past the windows logo and the log-in screen)

Even if it magically works again, anyone have any ideas to stop this from happening?

Last edited by Dook; 08-05-2010 at 02:00 AM.

08-05-2010   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

SilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura about
Class: MME
Level: -2147483647
Guild: YetAnotherUC

Try updating your graphics card driver.

08-05-2010   #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title
Games
Puzzle PiratesAtlantica OnlineGrand ChaseRunescape
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Noctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really niceNoctis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook
Hmm sorry guys, scratch that. Somehow the problem FIXED ITSELF!! O_O

I just restarted the computer after making that post and now I'm back to full functionality. :v

Nope, it crashed again after 30 minutes. This time though, whenever I start the computer up it crashes after logging in. (I can now go past the windows logo and the log-in screen)

Even if it magically works again, anyone have any ideas to stop this from happening?
When you say it crashed again, you mean it went back to that black screen with the weird graphical glitch that happened the first time?

It working for a few minutes minutes and then crashing again and then not working for very long reminds me of when the fan in my sister's laptop stopped working. So I'm thinking that's a possibility. Broken graphics card fan. If laptop graphics cards have fans... *searching for pictures*

Edit: I haven't found a picture of a laptop graphic card with a fan on it so I'm guessing I was wrong. *researching a little more*

Edit2: Well... they don't have a fan attached to them like the ones in desktops do. So good luck fixing your problem.

Last edited by Noctis; 08-05-2010 at 11:01 PM.

08-06-2010   #5 (permalink)
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis
When you say it crashed again, you mean it went back to that black screen with the weird graphical glitch that happened the first time?

It working for a few minutes minutes and then crashing again and then not working for very long reminds me of when the fan in my sister's laptop stopped working. So I'm thinking that's a possibility. Broken graphics card fan. If laptop graphics cards have fans... *searching for pictures*

Edit: I haven't found a picture of a laptop graphic card with a fan on it so I'm guessing I was wrong. *researching a little more*

Edit2: Well... they don't have a fan attached to them like the ones in desktops do. So good luck fixing your problem.
Yep, it went back to what happened the first time. I've tried installing three different versions of the driver, and all of them caused the graphical glitch (and subsequent restart) to appear. I can run the laptop when I use Window's default VGA. i.e. I disable the graphics card. In other words, I think the graphics card in that laptop is f***ed.

08-06-2010   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

SilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura about
Class: MME
Level: -2147483647
Guild: YetAnotherUC

If you think it's that, it's probably time to try to rma your laptop.