ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Technical Issues (http://ggftw.com/forum/technical-issues/)
-   -   Monitor unable to get past loading (therefore computer = broken) (http://ggftw.com/forum/technical-issues/78475-monitor-unable-get-past-loading-therefore-computer-broken.html)

PKShota 07-02-2010 09:36 AM

Monitor unable to get past loading (therefore computer = broken)

I've already made a thread about this on ijji, so I'll link the thread there for those willing to fix my issue, that way you can see what ijji users have suggested.

Computer problems. - ijji Forums

So here's my problem.

When I "turn my computer on", aka press the power button, on the monitor nothing comes up.

Normally, when I turn on the monitor power by pressing the button, a green light is shown below the button to indicate the computer is active. I suppose this is the computer sending the information to display on the monitor.

However, an orange light is shown instead. This indicates the computer is inactive or no power signal is being sent. My issue is either one of these 2 or both.

The cause of this is probably my fault. I've done forced reboots/turn off the computer, causing loss of memory data. The result is the computer has failed to load up the data.

Any suggestions, besides reformatting? Ijji users have suggested switching the power cable for the computer hard drive with a new one.

PKShota 07-02-2010 06:06 PM

Is there no help...? Q_Q

Kotarou 07-02-2010 06:14 PM

Tried with another monitor yet?

Tried with another signal cable?

Tried using analog instead of digital cable? (or vice versa?)

PKShota 07-02-2010 06:34 PM

I have no other monitor.

Don't have another signal cable (...at the moment).

One ijji forumer says that I should replace the power cable (the one that plugs into an outlet, connects to the PC for power)

I'm just wondering if there is any other solution to this or if others believe the above is the right solution.

oXdacyXo 07-02-2010 07:42 PM

I think the the video cable connecting to the monitor is at fault.

Oh by the way did you mean that you are able to see the bios splash screen before the monitor went into standby mode?

SilentSaber 07-02-2010 08:37 PM

Try with a different graphics card?

Kotarou 07-02-2010 11:05 PM

Easiest way is to test first with another monitor... It might be that it's your graphics card having a problem, and not your monitor. '-'/

Try plugging this monitor to another PC?

SilentSaber 07-03-2010 09:51 AM

If you have an older main board, it might have a built in gpu. You can try that if you arn't already using it.

PKShota 07-03-2010 10:02 AM

I'll try with a different graphics card first. (Though I don't know how to switch them `-` waiting for my brother to come back from vacation)

Quote:

Originally Posted by oXdacyXo (Post 1281572)
I think the the video cable connecting to the monitor is at fault.

Oh by the way did you mean that you are able to see the bios splash screen before the monitor went into standby mode?

1. Turn on computer

2. Turn on monitor

3. Nothing happens on monitor at all

buta 07-03-2010 01:43 PM

If you can't hear your computer's hard drive whirring/reading, then it's probably your computer's end that has the problem. Given that the BIOS screen doesn't even popup, it may be a problem with the BIOS which prevents you from starting up.

You can try clearing the CMOS and hope that solves the problem.

If you don't even see the BIOS screen, you won't be able to reformat. If it were the hard drive's problem, you would see at least the BIOS screen.

kag 07-03-2010 05:50 PM

Any beeps coming off from your PC when you switch it on?
Did the power light on the PC light up normally? Does it have irregular blinking?
Try draining the power completely by switching off the mains and holding the power button on the PC for 10s then switch on the mains and the PC and see if it works.

PKShota 07-07-2010 09:29 AM

There is no irregular blinking, beeping or abnormal noise of sort coming from the computer.

Whenever I turn my computer on, Nothing appears on the monitor at all even from the start of turning on the computer.

Because of this I have to turn it off.

So here's another symptom, possibly : When I want to turn it off, just one push or after 2-3 seconds it turns off.

Normally, before this problem, it would have taken 5 seconds to turn the computer off.

Still haven't tried the graphic card switching method.

And, it is very possible the computer will need to be replaced.

I haven't tried replacing the ram yet. The reason because I cant really unscrew the screws to the hard ware and stuff. That job is for my older brother.

PKShota 07-19-2010 04:45 PM

UGHH more suggestions, just in case

Okay so uh, the monitor is still broken after getting a new graphics card. Very fortunately, my cousin is an expert in computer science and is helping me with the problem.

So, we both hypothesize that it is not the motherboard. There is no abnormal beeping of sort.

It may be that I inserted the graphics card incorrectly, but i'm sure I did. Though it seems to hang off the edge of the screwing slightly...

Everything is plugged in. Power cable, etc. and monitor still doesn't work.

So we both figure it is the monitor causing the problem.

i bump this for suggestions (which one will likely come from replace monitor) but for now i'm waiting for my cousin to get an answer and hopefully solve this problem.

Light 07-19-2010 06:11 PM

My fathers monitor once appeared to have died, but it was just the backlight that didn't turn on.

If you point the monitor on an angle and have lights on in the room, can you faintly see anything?
It's best done with a flashlight or desk lamp pointing light from the sides of the monitor.

If you see anything, then the backlight may have died on you, and that means you need to replace the monitor.
Warranty will cover that.

PKShota 07-19-2010 06:27 PM

There is no faint view of bios screen or whatever. NOTHING appears. NOTHING at all. It's just a blank black screen like it was never turned on.

kag 07-19-2010 08:56 PM

Press the menu button on the monitor and see if anything comes up? (If there is nothing, it is definitely the monitor)
Does your monitor have DVI and VGA? Try switching to the other if nothing the other doesn't work.

1stsim144 07-20-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessLenne (Post 1296121)
There is no faint view of bios screen or whatever. NOTHING appears. NOTHING at all. It's just a blank black screen like it was never turned on.

So... Go buy a new monitor then since you've been saying that the monitor didn't show anything at all.. As if it is in 'turned-off' mode?

BUT you do hear 'noises' from your cpu right? As in fan.. etc etc.. But it's just blank on monitor.. Hmm. Do you hear Windows startup music?

PKShota 07-20-2010 12:01 PM

see next post

PKShota 07-20-2010 03:45 PM

okay this is FREAKING RIDICULOUS

ijji thread : Scratch me coming back, computer is FAIL. - ijji Forums

our the new monitor is broken. I don't know how. What I do know is it's something with the computer. Possibly the motherboard.

Now, both of my monitors are "unable to receive signals" from the CPU. It's probably something wrong with the motherboard or something else inside, probably a hidden virus.

My dad and I used our new monitor for his VCR cable tv and it works. So it is likely a CPU problem.

But this just sucks.

But yeah, my monitors broke and now I can't do ANYTHING.

buta 07-21-2010 07:38 PM

Again, try resetting the CMOS. Or replacing the battery that is on your motherboard. A computer that turns on and doesn't load anything most likely means the BIOS is having problems or is failing to load stuff.

And a no signal screen on the monitor does not mean that they are broken. Merely that there is no signal. Which makes sense given that your computer isn't turning on as you have said.