Try 

Prius Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
05-14-2010   #1 (permalink)
DJ
Games
LuniaVindictusS4 LeagueDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: MegaBoy740
Class: Support lt_mage
Level: 30
Guild: Prisma
Default Black Screen Windows 7 Problem...

I have no idea what I've done, but the last thing that happened before this started was Windows forced my laptop to update with whatever crap they put out.

I booted it up after it updated and ran TuneUp Utilities to do their chkdsk type operation, because it was telling me I hadn't done a scan in 3 months. It told me I would have to restart so I was just going to restart it later. Everything was fine, but a few minutes later the sound quit working (which always happens after their freaking updates, that's why i didn't want it to update). Then I restarted the laptop again, but then was giving me the blue screen of death. So it told me I should let it do a start up scan to see if it could fix it.

It did.......but now after it starts up it just gives me a black screen with a cursor instead of going to the log in screen.

Help please?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
05-14-2010   #2 (permalink)
MakeThingsWork!
Games
League of Legends
Awards Facebook Fan

GodofFaith is just really niceGodofFaith is just really niceGodofFaith is just really niceGodofFaith is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to GodofFaith Send a message via MSN to GodofFaith
IGN: GodofFaith/GodofClerics
Level: 220/280
Guild: Caballa

you would need to post your HijackThis log for someone can help you
if your able to do that

05-14-2010   #3 (permalink)
DJ
Games
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute

I can't get it to start up normally or into safemode so unless there's another way, no I can't >_<

05-14-2010   #4 (permalink)
DJ
Games

Wonderful. I let it set for a little over an hour to see if cooling down would help, but now all it does is show the first screen that pops up when you turn it on, it has at the bottom what f# buttons do what, and wont move from that screen now. Even if I push the f# buttons it doesn't do anything except f2 and all it does then is say "Please Wait..." and sticks there.

Is this the hard drive going or what?

05-15-2010   #5 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Put in you windows 7 installer disc and boot into the disc
do a startup repair thingy and see if it helps.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

05-15-2010   #6 (permalink)
DJ
Games

tried but it stays on that same screen, wont read the cd.

and now 12 or so hours later it refuses to even turn on. what a wonderful weekend this is.

Anyone know why it progressively kept booting less and less to the point it wont even turn on? They never taught us about this is our college maintenance/troubleshooting classes :/ I really hope it's not the hard drive cause it has all my school work on it still that I haven't moved to my external from last semester.

EDIT: Now it comes on whenever it feels like it lmao......it just randomly powered on itself.

EDIT2: Now it's booting up again for whatever reason, I put the windows 7 install disk in and it just keeps trying to boot to the login screen like always.

Last edited by Mega; 05-15-2010 at 11:37 AM.

05-15-2010   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

SilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura about
Class: MME
Level: -2147483647
Guild: YetAnotherUC

You need to go to your BIOS and change the boot device to be your cd drive to get the cd to run.
Typically it's (or something similar):
Advanced options-> mange boot devices.

Or if your bios has an option like "select boot device", that would work too. Just press whatever key you need to get there and select your cd drive.

05-15-2010   #8 (permalink)
DJ
Games

Hm do you mean the order of what boots when? It says cd/dvd drive boots first.

05-15-2010   #9 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute

power off the main switch
hold the power button on the PC to drain the power
reseat all your components (RAMs, VGA Card, Power Cables, Data Cables)
remove your bios battery for 5mins and insert it back
power on your pc
set whatever you need to set in the bios
save your settings and boot it up

05-15-2010   #10 (permalink)
DJ
Games

Hm if I knew about the insides of a laptop I might do that, but I've never seen the insides of a laptop before. I guess I'll be taking it to a shop next week....

05-15-2010   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

SilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura about

There's also another option most bios have that allows you to select your boot device.

Could be something like "boot menu" or "BBS popup". Select that option and you can select what to boot from from there. If you're not sure, you can post a screenshot or just try them all. It should say something along the lines of "Please select boot device" when you get there.

Last edited by SilentSaber; 05-15-2010 at 05:47 PM.

05-15-2010   #12 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

lol sorry didn't noticed it was a laptop
if it can't boot into the cd it would be a pain to fix it

Unless you get an external dvd drive

05-15-2010   #13 (permalink)
DJ
Games

Ugh that's not good.....

Anyway I posted this on the Windows Support Forums, I dont know if this has more detail than I've already posted here, but I thought putting it in both places couldn't hurt lol.

Quote:
Posted by MegaBoy740:

"Well I finally got Windows 7 working on my laptop a few months ago and thought everything was ok since it's been working for the past 4 months. I had previously turned off automatic updates for my laptop since it seems to always seems to mess something up (usually having no volume until I do a system restore to before the update).

Yesterday, (and I didn't know it could do this) after 3 months of no updates, my laptop was "forced" (because I didn't tell it to install them) to update when I was shutting it down. This morning when I booted my laptop up it was starting up normal like always, but then it gave me a blue screen with a lot of different characters on it (possibly the blue screen of death?), I restarted it and pushed f8, then went into Startup Repair and let it scan for errors. After it finished I restarted the laptop and it got past where the blue screen had been appearing, then a random chkdsk scan started scanning. After that finished and after the windows orb logo went away the screen just stayed black (the back light was still on however) and the cursor showed up.

I've been looking around on google for a solution for this, but all I can find is problems people are having when the black screen occurs AFTER you log in. My problem is that the log in screen doesn't even show up for me to do that.

I've already tried to boot it into safe mode as well as last known good configuration, but the black screen still just shows up where the log in screen should be. I also tried putting in the Windows 7 Professional Install Disk, but it seems to ignore it and tries to load up to the log in screen (where it then turns black again). It hasn't had a problem with reading cd's before so I don't know what the deal with that is. I've also tried taking the battery out and only having the power cord hooked up to it (just trying every little thing now) as well as only having the battery in and that still does nothing (just wanted to make sure).

My summer classes are about to start and I really need my laptop to be working by Wednesday for class. Any help with this IRRITATING problem would be GREATLY appreciated!"

05-16-2010   #14 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSaber
There's also another option most bios have that allows you to select your boot device.

Could be something like "boot menu" or "BBS popup". Select that option and you can select what to boot from from there. If you're not sure, you can post a screenshot or just try them all. It should say something along the lines of "Please select boot device" when you get there.
Like what he said try to get the boot menu out during the startup.
Usually it is F12

05-20-2010   #15 (permalink)
DJ
Games

Ok when I push f12 all it does is stay on the first screen that comes up until I stop pushing f12 then it tries to start up after that.

I've been looking at other laptops, but if I can replace the graphics card in this laptop, I'm hoping to just stick to it. I've been told I'll have to get the hard drive replaced because whatever was in the last Windows Update has corrupted my hard drive.....

yay windows.....!

05-21-2010   #16 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBoy740
Ok when I push f12 all it does is stay on the first screen that comes up until I stop pushing f12 then it tries to start up after that.

I've been looking at other laptops, but if I can replace the graphics card in this laptop, I'm hoping to just stick to it. I've been told I'll have to get the hard drive replaced because whatever was in the last Windows Update has corrupted my hard drive.....

yay windows.....!
If the hard drive is corrupted from windows update it means there isn't a hardware failure. Meaning you don't need to get a new hard drive.
But if the hard drive is faulty, it means it probably isn't windows update's fault.

For the F12 thing, does it have anything onscreen which says press F(key) to boot with other devices?

Yes you is possible to upgrade the graphics card, but note that you can usually only buy it second handed salvaged from old laptops as it isn't really sold in the market by itself. Best way is to ask the vendor whether is there and upgrade option available for your laptop.

Last edited by kag; 05-21-2010 at 05:52 AM.

05-21-2010   #17 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

it doesn't have to be f12... Could be delete or some other key. Just look at the keys that show up when your comp is starting up and try all of them. Eventually you should end up somewhere different. (And if you don't know what something is, don't touch it. Just ask here.)

05-24-2010   #18 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

Check this key under your registry, try enter SafeMode or use "CTRL+Alt+Del" to bring up task manager.
- Start->Regedit->ENTER
- File->New Task (run)->Regedit [if using task manager]

64 bit Windows
Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
- Check on the right panel, make sure it looks like this
- Shell - explorer.exe
- Userinit - userinit.exe
32 bit Windows
Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
- Check on the right panel, make sure it looks like this
- Shell - explorer.exe
- Userinit - userinit.exe
Try run virus scan [like avira/avast] once you're in, and make sure it's updated.

05-25-2010   #19 (permalink)
DJ
Games

Hm the only thing I can get into is the f8 menu (repair, enter safe mode and stuff) but can only get into the repair menu which lets it scan, try to fix problems, system restore, and command prompt.

It won't let me even log in no matter what mode I try so I can't get to the registry unless there's a way to do that through the command prompt.

05-26-2010   #20 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBoy740
Hm the only thing I can get into is the f8 menu (repair, enter safe mode and stuff) but can only get into the repair menu which lets it scan, try to fix problems, system restore, and command prompt.

It won't let me even log in no matter what mode I try so I can't get to the registry unless there's a way to do that through the command prompt.
You're supposed to press Ctrl+Alt+Del at the black screen where you see nothing.