ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Technical Issues (http://ggftw.com/forum/technical-issues/)
-   -   Decrease Your Latency/Ping Time! [Picture Guided] [Windows XP+Vista] (http://ggftw.com/forum/technical-issues/740-decrease-your-latency-ping-time-picture-guided-windows-xp-vista.html)

Miyuki 06-19-2008 08:52 PM

Decrease Your Latency/Ping Time! [Picture Guided] [Windows XP+Vista]

If you're not sure how and whats registry, please don't continue.
I'm recommends you that creates a backup of your registry/system resotre points before you continue, just in case.

This guide is mainly for those who willing to try, but not sure how [lol, texts tl:dr]

Click on the spoiler button to show:-
Spoiler!

Afterward, do this

Spoiler!

That's it, you will need to restart your computer for the settings to take effect. After that, you should be able to experiences faster responses time with reduced latency ^_^...[unless your isp decided to gaying on your connection, lol]

This might, or might work with Windows XP SP 3, tho.

And as for vista:-
- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935458

Or you can use 3rd party tool:
- FasterPing-v01beta.zip

You've to install SP1 if you want the tweaks to take effects on your Windows Vista. The procedures are the same as in Windows XP's

And again, I WILL NOT TAKEN RESPONSIBILITY if you screwed up stuff. If you're unsure, please asks your questions here, or get a friend who's better in computer ;o.

Another, this will not work with 3G connection or wireless, it might causes some problem in your connection. As for 3G, you might get frequent disconnections, also it's not 100% working with ALL connections.

And again, IT doesn't boost your downloads speed or upload, there's other factors applies such as your connection to your ISP and the internet.

Thank you for viewing!

+rep me if you like my thread ^_^

sExYgIrL93 06-19-2008 09:04 PM

This doesn't "work in all MMOs". It works only if
a) the server is using TCP and not UDP
b) the application doesn't turn off the algorithm by default

Miyuki 06-19-2008 09:07 PM

ugh...don't tell me youre that guy again <_<

You want more proof?

Mysteria 06-19-2008 09:10 PM

Lol, dude it works.

Kotarou 06-19-2008 09:10 PM

As ordered by her highness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miyuki

sExYgIrL93 06-19-2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miyuki (Post 8911)
ugh...don't tell me youre that guy again <_<

You want more proof?

Proof of... what? Just saying that TCP tweaks are useless if the server isn't using TCP in the first place. Disabling the algorithm is useless if the application already disables it

Miyuki 06-19-2008 09:17 PM

If the server doesn't uses TCP at the first place, then you'll get frequent disconnection or no replies at all.

sExYgIrL93 06-19-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miyuki (Post 8941)
If the server doesn't uses TCP at the first place, then you'll get frequent disconnection or no replies at all.

Yet there are plenty of online games that use UDP

GodofFaith 06-19-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sExYgIrL93 (Post 8951)

hey you should not worry about O.o

Leara 06-19-2008 10:03 PM

Just thought I'd vouch for this too because I use it and it really does work. But you also have to understand it uses a lot more bandwidth for the game as well, so if you're still in the stone ages and using dial-up... best to leave this one alone. If you're on broadband: what're you waiting for!?

Chris 06-28-2008 10:00 AM

I think I'm gonna try eet...

*makes a backup*

Silver Rook 06-28-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sExYgIrL93 (Post 8951)

Then have fun with your UDP online games, we're using TCP servers, kthxbye have a nice gaming session and good day to you sir.

Chris 06-28-2008 10:38 AM

hmm I think it works...

*spams Cure*

zomg D: it does works :omg:

sExYgIrL93 06-28-2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Rook (Post 27985)
Then have fun with your UDP online games, we're using TCP servers, kthxbye have a nice gaming session and good day to you sir.

Who are "we"? The post says it works in all MMOs which isn't true. But thanks for your worthless reply anyway

bumbaloe 06-28-2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sExYgIrL93 (Post 28067)
Who are "we"? The post says it works in all MMOs which isn't true. But thanks for your worthless reply anyway

You say this as if your replies aren't worthless... All you do is flame, flame, flame, and fail at being an intelligent troll.

Also, if miyoo says it works, it works. :x

Ayummi 06-30-2008 06:31 PM

Does this really work for Vista @_@? I hope it does.. Try it when I get home D:

Zamte 06-30-2008 08:46 PM

UDP packets are not ordered. This is a problem in most MMO games. We don't want the game to be recieving packets out of order because this could easily cause some basic duping issues, as well as other similiar problems. Also, since they are not ordered, any security checks to, for instance, prevent duping, may block normal transactions if somehow packets arrive out of order. This is not desirable.

Some games may use UDP, but it's mostly reserved for much simpler systems that don't intend to repeatedly send packets long term. Chat programs and IM programs I imagine could use UDP much easier because there is a set data packet or set of packets for each message, and the program itself isn't trying to do anything in real time.

TCP works, or rather, can work, in a stream. This is good for things like online games that want to appear to be in real time. UDP however sends packets in bits and pieces, and while I've never played a game that I know for certain uses UDP, I imagine this would make it much more difficult to achieve that.

wacky 07-01-2008 08:51 AM

somehow i don't feel any difference when i on or off it... i still lag.... maybe it's my system problem... :o

regards,
wacky

Ayummi 07-01-2008 11:58 AM

It works on my friend's computer @_@ cuz I was at her house this weekend and yar... She has XP and I have Vista... I tried the XP method... Gonna try the Vista method on my own computer now o-o

Silver Rook 07-01-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wacky (Post 31977)
somehow i don't feel any difference when i on or off it... i still lag.... maybe it's my system problem... :o

regards,
wacky

If you're living really far away from the server itself, you'll still have lag...
Probably its NTreev's fault now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumbaloe (Post 28079)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sExYgIrL93 (Post 28067)

You say this as if your replies aren't worthless... All you do is flame, flame, flame, and fail at being an intelligent troll.

Also, if miyoo says it works, it works. :x

This person is obviously trying to act as if he/ she is really intelligent. But obviously he/ she is not in the field of computing and is seriously in self-denial.

Srsly, if you want to flame...
You're searching for the wrong person to do that so. Remember me, remember MyTrickster, remember that thread I've flamed at MyChase.