Looking for a new MMO?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
10-09-2009   #1 (permalink)
C'est La Vie

Mysteria will become famous soon enoughMysteria will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Mysteria
IGN: Eyelash
Level: 143
Default How are they obtaining my IP address?

I was talking to this person on MSN and he told me he knew my IP address. Then he told me it correctly. How does he know that? Even when I change it he can figure it out. He's not very tech savvy, so I have no clue how. I also have this person on facebook, youtube and MSN. Can someone explain to me how hes doing it?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
10-09-2009   #2 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

Talk to someone and only that person on msn.

cmd -> netstat

It shows all your connections.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

10-10-2009   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

SilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura about
Class: MME
Level: -2147483647
Guild: YetAnotherUC

I could have sworn you can only get ips if there is a direct connection... MSN made direct connections?

10-10-2009   #4 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSaber
I could have sworn you can only get ips if there is a direct connection... MSN made direct connections?
Well most IMs do, they can't afford to handle all your messages and files through their server.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

10-13-2009   #5 (permalink)
Sexy Bish <3
Special

SkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to beholdSkillzKillz is a splendid one to behold

There's patches and programs out there that can easily do it for you. I used to know one but I really don't care. Networking is fun, but getting into IP business isn't the smartest.

10-13-2009   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

SilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura aboutSilentSaber has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
Well most IMs do, they can't afford to handle all your messages and files through their server.
So I checked with wireshark while signed on to various im clients from pidgin:

AIM:
I see no requests that are sent directly to anything other than IPs registered to aol. (64.12.28.98 was the server packets were sent to and from, and is registered to aol)

MSN:
It gets sent to a microsoft IP. (65.54.172.119 is definitely registered to microsoft.) Messages went to and from this server.

So barring a direct connection (be it file transfer or whatnot), I do not believe it is likely for someone to get your IP through im programs.

10-13-2009   #7 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

Do you recently accepted any files from him/her? Have you played multiplayer [direct or online like warcraft 3, or similar?]

Also, are you on fixed/static ip or dynamic ip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static IP
Static IP: A static IP address is fixed, much like a telephone number. If your ISP gives you a static address, you will always use the same address. Servers usually have static addresses, so they can always be found at the same location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic IP
Dynamic IP: A dynamic IP address changes each time you connect to your Internet Service Provider (ISP). This allows ISPs to keep a pool of addresses available to subscribers. If you disconnect from the ISP, your address is returned to the pool, becoming available to the next computer that connects.
- No-IP.com Geek Terms

10-14-2009   #8 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute

If i'm not wrong there is a MSNPlus script which can get IPs.
Anyway IP address isn't that hard to get.
You're giving your IP address out every connection you make, so it isn't really a secret.

10-14-2009   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
If i'm not wrong there is a MSNPlus script which can get IPs.
Anyway IP address isn't that hard to get.
You're giving your IP address out every connection you make, so it isn't really a secret.
But usually it's not immediately apparent to other people what you ip is.

For example, normal im chats sessions will not reveal your ip to someone else. And afaik visiting forums will not reveal your ip to non-admin members. Only DIRECT connections should allow a foreign user to obtain your ip address. All other services tend to have a kind of middle man that keeps two end users from directly communicating with each other. (And perhaps your IP should be kept secret from other people. It's perfectly alright for a server to know your ip, but it's not quite alright for another user to have your ip.)

Last edited by SilentSaber; 10-14-2009 at 11:41 PM.

10-15-2009   #10 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

Generally iz quite save nowadays since most peoples connection goes through a router, even if it isn't a firewall but it blocks other ports by default. So even if your computer is compromised it is still fairly safe.

I do remember seeing peoples ip in icq.
And of course there's bittorrent.

But IP address isn't gonna be of much use to most people anyway.

EDIT: Maybe you didn't disabled your photo sharing thingy.

Last edited by kag; 10-15-2009 at 02:29 AM.