Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
10-07-2009   #1 (permalink)
Vinyl Side Up

AurorasParadox has disabled reputation
Default Old Computer Problems

Okays so here's the thing. I've finally changed my very old computer's processor fan(broke the old one =T).

When I turned on the computer, it boots up yay. But then, it gives me this message "Reboot and select proper device or insert boot media device and press a key". Upon seeing this, I decided to just reformat it. But everytime I press the "up" key when selecting the drive, I keep getting the BSOD (***STOP: 0x00000008E).

I've tried unplugging and replugging the RAM and even removed the cell battery on the board(don't know the name), but to no avail.

Anyone knows how to solve this problem?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
10-07-2009   #2 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

What windows you're installing into the drive? Also, tried low-level format on the drive before you decides to full format [not quick format] the drive?

Also, use this tool
- Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

To check on your
- HDD - health status
- RAM - ram status

10-07-2009   #3 (permalink)
Vinyl Side Up

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "low-level format"? I've tried using the repair console and tried using the /fs command, but nothing happened. I'll go try out the tool right now. Thank you.

Edit: oh and I'm trying to reinstall XP

10-07-2009   #4 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute

LowLevelFormat
- Disk formatting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10-07-2009   #5 (permalink)
Vinyl Side Up

So I've tried the Salvation HDD tool on the UBCD, but it says that it can't find Hard disk drive when I chose defaulted scan. Am I using the right tool? I've tried unplugging my SATA1 cable and replugging it in but it still returns the same error.

Edit: okays... so my friend told me to do chkdsk /r. But when I tried, I got this message "volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable errors

Last edited by AurorasParadox; 10-07-2009 at 07:00 AM.

10-07-2009   #6 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online

Did you tried the /f as well? There might be some bad sectors on your hdd.

10-07-2009   #7 (permalink)
Vinyl Side Up

i tried chkdsk /f but got "parameter invalid"

T____T

10-08-2009   #8 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Chances are your harddisk controller might be dead and it can't communicate with the harddisk properly.

Did you try changing cables or reseating the cable connections?

run your UBCD again do a disk diagnostics with Drive Fitness Test (IBM/Hitachi), use Read All test and see what results do you get. (Note: it make take hours depending on the size and speed [the about the same speed you take to read the entire disk])

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist