Aika Online
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Aika Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
09-04-2009   #1 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Skiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Skiegh Send a message via MSN to Skiegh
IGN: Skiegh
Class: Sieg
Level: 56+
Default Graphical issue/BSOD

Well, let's start by saying that this has been present since I purchased my computer and I decided to post here before I reluctantly go back to dell and their dimwitted tech support. Randomly (in games usually as they more graphically straining) the graphics will distort and construe. Basically becoming a mess of mishmash, you know like random large images appearing on the screen and lots of off colors. After such graphical glitch occurs, upon trying to exit the game or minimize or what have you, it usually results in a BSOD labeling 0x0000050 or 0x1000050 (Most of the time they are the 50 errors but there have been others but not in the quantity. Both of these errors are essentially the same thing.)

I can go days or even a week without ever witnessing this glitch~

Most often or not after this BSOD occurs my computer is generally pretty annoyed at wanting to turn back on and will sometimes just leave a blank screen whether it be before windows start up or upon boot. It usually turns on fine the second time around.

Deciphering the BSOD errors using the windows debugging tool, the 6 or so that I felt like going through showed the following exes at fault... (Some of these may not even be from a 0x0000050 error)

dxg.sys (this appeared 3 times)
spdt.sys
ntkrpamp.exe
mfebopk.sys

dxg.sys I believe is a directx file, correct me if I am wrong.

What I've done:
I've installed various versions of the Nvidia drivers, 3. All encounter the same problem. I currently am using 177.85
Updated my Nvidia Chipset driver
Updated my BIOS (This part had a moderately interesting result.)
Among other useless things...

After updating my bios (And this only seems to happen in Lunia.) the graphic glitch seems a lot more mild in Lunia. The distortions aren't nearly as bad and if I minimize and maximize it fixes. However, if I do minimize and maximize anytime I maximize/minimize ANY application it will take about 10 seconds for each transition but overall run fine once it's done. The fact updating my bios made any changes to the problem at all makes me think that maybe it is a software problem. I've been adamant that the graphic cards have been faulty but I am beyond confused.

Spoiler!

If anyone here is by any means computer savvy feel free to provide input. I'm sure the majority of you will assume it's a faulty graphics card and I there with you in that accusation. Cards are brand new as is the computer and if it was a faulty card you'd think it would have died by now.

DxDiag:
Spoiler!
"There once was a boy who dreamed of being a hero. Who believed sincerely in the battle to banish darkness from a world of light... but light and darkness are equal... and where one exists so too must the other... and when the boy finally realized this he had taken the first step toward being a true hero."

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
09-04-2009   #2 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

Not the latest drivers, try using the latest drivers.
- NVIDIA DRIVERS 190.62 WHQL

Try run a RAM test, get the tool here
- http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Also, have you updated motherboard drivers as well?

Last edited by Miyuki; 09-04-2009 at 11:56 PM.

09-05-2009   #3 (permalink)
I like scenery *.*
Games
LuniaDragon Nest

CursedScar is just really niceCursedScar is just really niceCursedScar is just really niceCursedScar is just really nice
IGN: TangoDown
Class: Ryan lu_sieg
Level: 8x
Guild: Fusion

Is your power supply adequate? If it can't provide enough power, then your card can't function properly?

When you installed your 9600 GT, did you connect the PCI-e x6 connectors? I requires 2 I believe.

09-05-2009   #4 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Skiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the roughSkiegh is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki
Not the latest drivers, try using the latest drivers.
- NVIDIA DRIVERS 190.62 WHQL

Try run a RAM test, get the tool here
- Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Also, have you updated motherboard drivers as well?
I've heard bad things about the 190 drivers from the Nvidia forums. I am unsure if they fixed it by now but I'd prefer not to delve into a malfunctioning driver. (More so than mine.) I've had the newest when I first tried to fix this problem which was 185.85 at the time. I tried another 180 version and now I went down to the 177.

I plan to do the memtest tonight, assuming my computer burned it to the CD correctly.

I have not updated my motherboard drivers since I am unsure of the brand. I'm sure I could ask dell for such a thing and sadly my manual doesn't tell me anything about the motherboard-- besides what's slots it has.

Quote:
Is your power supply adequate? If it can't provide enough power, then your card can't function properly?

When you installed your 9600 GT, did you connect the PCI-e x6 connectors? I requires 2 I believe.
According to the manual, I have a 750 watt power supply.

Also, I have 9800GTs (Yes I have 2, SLi), I WISH they were 9600s. My previous computer had a 9600GT and it worked marvelously, I can only imagine it would rock being SLied. Since this is a manufactured PC (The one I built and kept alive for a very long time finally failed a catastrophic way. I gave up on it.) I have never even opened it.
"There once was a boy who dreamed of being a hero. Who believed sincerely in the battle to banish darkness from a world of light... but light and darkness are equal... and where one exists so too must the other... and when the boy finally realized this he had taken the first step toward being a true hero."

09-05-2009   #5 (permalink)
I like scenery *.*
Games
LuniaDragon Nest

CursedScar is just really niceCursedScar is just really niceCursedScar is just really niceCursedScar is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiegh
According to the manual, I have a 750 watt power supply.

Also, I have 9800GTs (Yes I have 2, SLi), I WISH they were 9600s. My previous computer had a 9600GT and it worked marvelously, I can only imagine it would rock being SLied. Since this is a manufactured PC (The one I built and kept alive for a very long time finally failed a catastrophic way. I gave up on it.) I have never even opened it.
I'm using the new 190 Drivers. Works fine with me. Btw, your wattage isn't incredibly relevant. What's the Amperage on your 12V rail and the PCI-e connector rails? Btw, which 9800 GTs do you have and how many connectors do they have?

09-06-2009   #6 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Ran memtest last night for 11 and half passes, all error free. Which is nice I suppose.

Quote:
I'm using the new 190 Drivers. Works fine with me. Btw, your wattage isn't incredibly relevant. What's the Amperage on your 12V rail and the PCI-e connector rails? Btw, which 9800 GTs do you have and how many connectors do they have?
I'm not good with power as I was a D science student but I did copy all the writing off my power supply that was in English. Now assuming I can read my own writing it's...

Model: D750E - 00
input: 100 - 120v - 10A , 50-60Hz
200 - 240v - 5A
Output: +12v1 = 18A +5v = /30A
750W MAX +12v2 = 18A -12v = /0.3A
+12v3 = 18A +3.3v = /30A
+12v4 = 18A +5vSB(or maybe that's a 5) = /3A

Max Combined power on +5v & +3.3v output is 220W
Max Combined power on +12v1 +12v2 +12v3 & +12v4 output is 732W

Sadly as this is a cruddy Dell computer I am unsure of the exact 9800GT I have. From the thin peak I took into my computer they seemed to only have one connector each. Looked to be similar to the one my 9600 used.

I may or may not try changing drivers again but since I've done it so many times I'm kind of not expecting much. I'd prefer ideas that stem from elsewhere.

09-06-2009   #7 (permalink)
I like scenery *.*
Games
LuniaDragon Nest

Do you have the 6 Pin Connectors connected to your 9800 GT?

Btw your PSU should be adequate. 30A 12V rail should be okay. If it's a Dual 12V rail that should make 60A.

Since you have 2, try removing 1. A single 9800 GT should be good enough to Run Lunia. See if you keep lagging.

Last edited by CursedScar; 09-06-2009 at 01:00 PM.

09-08-2009   #8 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CursedScar
Do you have the 6 Pin Connectors connected to your 9800 GT?

Btw your PSU should be adequate. 30A 12V rail should be okay. If it's a Dual 12V rail that should make 60A.

Since you have 2, try removing 1. A single 9800 GT should be good enough to Run Lunia. See if you keep lagging.
I've contemplated turning off SLi just to see how it fairs. Next time it happens I may try it for a lil' bit.

I can't imagine it's the power though considering how utterly random it is. That and it doesn't seem to matter how much I work the card, it just sort of... happens.

09-08-2009   #9 (permalink)
I like scenery *.*
Games
LuniaDragon Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiegh
I've contemplated turning off SLi just to see how it fairs. Next time it happens I may try it for a lil' bit.

I can't imagine it's the power though considering how utterly random it is. That and it doesn't seem to matter how much I work the card, it just sort of... happens.
Is your Motherboard SLI compatible? That could be the issue here.

09-08-2009   #10 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Quote:
Is your Motherboard SLI compatible? That could be the issue here.
I don't think Dell is THAT stupid. They suck-- sure, but they can't be that dumb.

And hey look what I found, someone with the same problem as me who ALSO has a 9800GT...

Weird Graphic Issue... - NVIDIA Forums

No one ever responded to the posts I made about my problem on the Nvidia forum-- TWICE but hey, this guy must be special.

09-09-2009   #11 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

I just tried without SLi on and was lucky(?) enough to see the graphic glitch happen very quickly.

I found the results more amusing this time...

Then it quickly changed to this...

09-09-2009   #12 (permalink)
I like scenery *.*
Games
LuniaDragon Nest

Hmm..... can you sell your 9800 GT's? Just use the extra money to get a 260 GTX Superclocked Edition from EVGA. Those things are amazing and almost no one has issues with them. Your power supply could handle one of them.

09-09-2009   #13 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Quote:
Hmm..... can you sell your 9800 GT's? Just use the extra money to get a 260 GTX Superclocked Edition from EVGA. Those things are amazing and almost no one has issues with them. Your power supply could handle one of them.
I think my 2 9800s are still on warranty, assuming they are covered by the year warranty. Truthfully, I don't want even go inside this computer until the warranty is gone. I suppose I could stop avoiding it and try to badger dell about replacing my cards for something else but they are very much against replacing parts until they try all their little things which usually amount to things I've done already.

The guy on the Nvidia forum wants me to try and uninstall and reinstall DirectX which truthfully, I've wanted to try since all the errors I get generally point towards dxg.sys which is a directX file I think. (Though I also remember hearing that most of the time when a error points to a directX file it usually just means it's your graphics card) However, the program he wants me to use even says that completely removing directX could result in some unwanted circumstances, so I am hesitant to remove it.

09-10-2009   #14 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Start -> Run -> dxdiag -> Display Tab
Do both tests and see if it passes.

Assuming you have on-board graphics (nForce) maybe you can give that a try without your graphics card setup to see if you get the same problems.

If you know how, you might want to reseat the ram as well just cause the dell guy would probably tell you to do that too >.<

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

09-11-2009   #15 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
Start -> Run -> dxdiag -> Display Tab
Do both tests and see if it passes.

Assuming you have on-board graphics (nForce) maybe you can give that a try without your graphics card setup to see if you get the same problems.

If you know how, you might want to reseat the ram as well just cause the dell guy would probably tell you to do that too >.<
I don't think it's possible to fail the directX tests.

09-12-2009   #16 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

QtGears - glxgears for Windows / X11 using Qt
OpenGL test?

Unless you wanna install benchmark software to test

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist