Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
09-04-2009   #1 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Level: E
Guild: Hardcore
Default laptop randomly cutting off

Hello. My laptop the past few days has been randomly turning off on me. The frequency has been increasing as well as the time between shut offs.

Basically, i thought the laptop was merely over heating since i have had that problem before while playing games. however when it did that it would usually have a message when i reboot saying system over heated or something to that effect. now it's just simply computer had an improper shut down.

when it shuts down the adapter is still plugged in. usually when it's plugged in there's a light where the adapter plugs into the computer. however there are no lights where the power and charging lights are. the 3 lights that indicate it's on etc. so that's what led me to believe it's not my adaptor but the laptop itself???

i would try it unplugged and see if the same thing happens but my battery only works if my laptop is plugged in. it doesn't run on its own charge any longer.

not sure what to do since i no longer have my warranty. any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

edit- this time when it did it it still said it was charging but when i tried turning it back on that's when the charge light cut off. it took about an hour for it to turn back on. i'm gonna just get off now before something else happens.

Last edited by PedroRomero; 09-04-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
09-22-2009   #2 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute

sandrie gave this advice to me:
Quote:
heys i read that thread you put in technical issues, I'm not an expert, but it sounds like when my power jack thing got broken (where you plug the adapter). It wouldn't take a charge, so my old laptop died on me lots /o/
take a look in it and see if the metal inside is bent .-.
well i figured it might be something like that wrong. the actual power jack thing is not broken but my adaptor itself is kinda bent... so i kinda figured it was that despite the fact it would always have the blue light when it cut off saying it was still plugged in. (the blue light is where the jack meets the adaptor. the other light that shows it's charging the 3 lights that show it's on those shut of some of the time as said earlier.

anyway the past few weeks it's been working perfectly but last night it started doing the random shutting off thing again and it was doing it again tonight. someone told me to try using it without a battery in the computer. i'm doing that now but just in case i'm posting here and bumping this in case anyone have another suggestion. i'll tell how this works later.

09-22-2009   #3 (permalink)
...Wah?
Special
Games
Lunia

SkyAngelic is a name known to allSkyAngelic is a name known to allSkyAngelic is a name known to allSkyAngelic is a name known to allSkyAngelic is a name known to allSkyAngelic is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to SkyAngelic
IGN: SkyAngelic / SkyDemonic
Class: Lunia: Sieg / Trickster: Temp DX Buffalo (Abusing Attr. equips), Dragon / Cabal: Force Archer
Level: 103, 69, 72, 104
Guild: Solstice

Are you sure it isn't overheating?

During the first several monthes of getting my new laptop, I would be able to play like... 3 games on my laptop without it overheating. But sadly, quality goes down over time.

Every time my laptop turns off from overheating, it does what your laptop does. All the lights turn off, including the battery and adapter light, and I wouldn't be able to turn on my laptop until the adapter light and battery light came up, which might take only 5 minutes for me. And it overheats faster than last time and takes longer to be able to turn on, etc.. so after all those 'overheat' incidents, my laptop will shut off on me when I'm playing games like Trickster.

At first, I thought it would be the battery's fault, but eventually I came to figure out it was because of the heat.

When your laptop randomly shuts off, feel the bottom of your laptop and tell me how hot it feels. If it's hot, it probably means your laptop overheats easily just like mine (Toshiba brand laptops tend to do that)

I solved this problem by getting an external fan for my laptop. After getting proper ventilation, I haven't gotten a single 'sudden' shutdown on my laptop for over a year.

If you need a picture of what it looks like, I have one o.O

http://www.switched.com/2008/01/07/y...your-lap-cool/

Just stick it under your laptop o.O

gg Noperative

Last edited by SkyAngelic; 09-22-2009 at 11:01 PM.

09-23-2009   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Games
AllodsCosmic BreakCTRacerDragon Nest

TheGazettE has a spectacular aura aboutTheGazettE has a spectacular aura about

i had the same problem..and it was both overheating and something wrong with my adapter..

i bought a fan like the one above and fixed my adapter but after a few months, my laptop still died on me T3T

hope you get your problem fixed :3

09-23-2009   #5 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

you should also try charging without switching on the laptop.

There is also the chance the battery has problems, some laptops can't power up with faulty batteries or auto power off cause the batteries can't produce enough power.

you can also try reducing the LCD brightness and see if it dies.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

09-23-2009   #6 (permalink)
Ken
本来无一物,何处惹尘埃,问世间有几多爱 ღ 陈冠希
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineCross Fire
Awards Facebook Fan

Ken is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ken Send a message via Yahoo to Ken
IGN: LoveKen
Class: Gambler to_gambler
Level: Lay low
Guild: Exorcist
Xfire: Xfire sucks

o_o;; try using softwares to see the degrees, it should not be over 70ish, dont use it on a bed or something

09-23-2009   #7 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games

thanks guys! yeah i thought it was the over heating thing too. the thing that made me not think it was over heating was because it used to overheat when i played games but i haven't played any games for a long time on my laptop.

but yeah i had a fan like those you showed me but it broke so now i guess i better invest in a new one... it probably is over heating. now i'm confused as to why since i haven't been playing any games

09-23-2009   #8 (permalink)
...Wah?
Special
Games
Lunia

SkyAngelic is a name known to allSkyAngelic is a name known to allSkyAngelic is a name known to allSkyAngelic is a name known to allSkyAngelic is a name known to allSkyAngelic is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to SkyAngelic
IGN: SkyAngelic / SkyDemonic
Class: Lunia: Sieg / Trickster: Temp DX Buffalo (Abusing Attr. equips), Dragon / Cabal: Force Archer
Level: 103, 69, 72, 104
Guild: Solstice

My laptop would overheat when it goes over 1 GB of performance (you can check by going in Task Manager and checking the Performance Tab, by ctrl+alt+del or right clicking the tab at the bottom where your 'start' button is on and clicking Task Manager.

When my laptop was new, it wouldn't overheat even if it almost reached 2 Gbytes of performance. Now, I suppose age decreases endurance

gg Noperative