Zero Online
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Zero Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
02-09-2014   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

evilxshadow has a spectacular aura aboutevilxshadow has a spectacular aura about
Default Computer Turning on by itself

So, my problem is that my computer turns on by itself. It doesnt just turn on at a specific time, it turns on randomly. This doesnt always happen either. Sometimes, when my computer is in sleep mode, it turns itself back on, other times it stays in sleep mode. Then, sometimes when I shut down my computer, it turns itself back on randomly like at 2AM, 7AM, just today 10AM.... other times it just stays off and doesnt turn on.

Does anyone know the cause to my problem?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
02-09-2014   #2 (permalink)
Benevolent Misfortune
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineGunboundLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Sanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud of
IGN: Sanichi
Class: Scholar
Level: 50
Guild: FrenchBread

Spyware? e.

/ / / Playing: DM

02-09-2014   #3 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

I spent a lot of time trying to fix this problem myself.
Even when ensuring nothing was permitted to wake the system, it still happened randomly. There are some BIOS settings which touch on wake up that you'd want to investigate as well.

Your best bet is using hibernation mode. It saves additional power, and you can power off entirely.

As for it waking up from shutdown. I'd guess there's a short somewhere, as the system still draws power even when shut down. Your best bet is to flip the switch on your power supply when you're in hibernation mode or shut down. You preserve 100% power and it won't wake you up.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

02-09-2014   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

evilxshadow has a spectacular aura aboutevilxshadow has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
I spent a lot of time trying to fix this problem myself.
Even when ensuring nothing was permitted to wake the system, it still happened randomly. There are some BIOS settings which touch on wake up that you'd want to investigate as well.

Your best bet is using hibernation mode. It saves additional power, and you can power off entirely.

As for it waking up from shutdown. I'd guess there's a short somewhere, as the system still draws power even when shut down. Your best bet is to flip the switch on your power supply when you're in hibernation mode or shut down. You preserve 100% power and it won't wake you up.
yea i've checked the BIOS settings, and pretty much turned it off.

and yea, i've been flipping the switch everyday now because i dont know exactly which days it'll turn on or not.

02-09-2014   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

I hear its bad if u keep flipping the switch on and off on the power supply bad.

02-09-2014   #6 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

Sounds like a foolish myth to accompany the, "Shutting down the PC every night is bad!!!" myth that continues to float around.

The switch is exactly like a light switch on your wall. It's constantly switched dozens of times a day, yet you still get electricity where it belongs for decades on end. Don't worry about it.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

02-11-2014   #7 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Technically it is bad when you repeatly switch the power supply because of spikes.
In generally it shouldn't cause any serious issues cause power supplies are usually made to withstand some levels of spike.

Back to the issue, it can be caused by crappy BIOS or one of the USB devices acting odd if you have wake on USB turned on.
If you don't use wake on lan/usb, there's also the power setting to auto power on when there's a power returns when there's power failure. You can turn all of those off.
There's also different power modes which you can set to prevent it from waking up.
*Note that if you're using "branded" system some of these options don't exist or can't be disabled.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rs,1126-8.html
An example here, can vary a lot depending brand and BIOS

You can also try using sleep mode to see if the system gets woken up.
Then you'll be able to obtain some hardware information about what cause it to wake.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-command.html

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

Last edited by kag; 02-11-2014 at 06:12 AM.

02-12-2014   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
Technically it is bad when you repeatly switch the power supply because of spikes.
In generally it shouldn't cause any serious issues cause power supplies are usually made to withstand some levels of spike.

Back to the issue, it can be caused by crappy BIOS or one of the USB devices acting odd if you have wake on USB turned on.
If you don't use wake on lan/usb, there's also the power setting to auto power on when there's a power returns when there's power failure. You can turn all of those off.
There's also different power modes which you can set to prevent it from waking up.
*Note that if you're using "branded" system some of these options don't exist or can't be disabled.

Power Management Settings - BIOS for Beginners
An example here, can vary a lot depending brand and BIOS

You can also try using sleep mode to see if the system gets woken up.
Then you'll be able to obtain some hardware information about what cause it to wake.
Lastwake Command - Windows 7 Help Forums
so i tried using sleep mode to see what made my system wake up, and it says this

wake up history count - 1
wake history [0]
wake source count - 0

also, most of my settings that could possibly turn on the comp are set to disabled

02-13-2014   #9 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

update your bios if possible
reset your bios to default settings
update your chipset drivers so it might detect the wake source

If you have problem finding the drivers give me the model of the system or the motherboard model if it was self assembled.
You can try this command in command prompt to get the model "wmic csproduct get name" (doesn't work 100%)

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

02-19-2014   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

i think i fixed it... apparently i found the WOL magic packet option and disabled it. I thought it was disabled before.

its been 5 days and no problem yet.

thanks for the help guys.

02-28-2014   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan
Awards Facebook Fan

Iscoseles is on a distinguished road

In my case I experience BSOD or Blue Screen of Death on my laptop.

Whenever I have played high graphics game like Metal Gear Rising Revengeance after playing for 3-4 hours my PC crash and turns to BSOD.

For now I am currently playing Ragnarok Online and Eclipse War Online without BSOD error I think the problem is with the RAM.

Last edited by Iscoseles; 02-28-2014 at 03:28 AM. Reason: type error

02-28-2014   #12 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscoseles
In my case I experience BSOD or Blue Screen of Death on my laptop.

Whenever I have played high graphics game like Metal Gear Rising Revengeance after playing for 3-4 hours my PC crash and turns to BSOD.

For now I am currently playing Ragnarok Online and Eclipse War Online without BSOD error I think the problem is with the RAM.
uhh.... its been 2 weeks and i said i fixed the problem.... but thx anyways