ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Technical Issues (http://ggftw.com/forum/technical-issues/)
-   -   Sony VAIO start up problem. (http://ggftw.com/forum/technical-issues/119169-sony-vaio-start-up-problem.html)

Aria 12-02-2012 04:33 PM

Sony VAIO start up problem.

I have this old Sony VAIO notebook lying around, bought sometime in 2005, and it hasn't been working for more than a year now.

Spoiler!

It used to run on Windows XP, but I replaced it with Windows 7 and after a while, it would boot Windows for a few seconds and then seem to shut down again. The screen fades to black, but the LED light is still green and the fan seems to be running still. I have no idea what the problem is, so I don't know how to fix it. But I would like to, so I can at least decide whether to keep it or sell it.

The other odd thing about this laptop is that it doesn't work anymore without being constantly plugged into a power source. The minute you unplug it, it dies, which has me assuming that there's a problem with the battery, cable or who knows what.

Anyway, I don't like describing technical problems, so I just took a video if it. This was me attempting to start Windows after doing a system restore. It booted fine, flickered on and off at the login screen but I logged in eventually. It showed me my desktop for less than a minute and then shut itself down again. You can even hear the computer struggling to power up and failing. :py32:

Spoiler!

Tardar 12-02-2012 04:50 PM

On the loading, is it possible that the hard drive is dead?

========

If it doesn't work without being plugged into a power source, it's battery is probably shot. In the event that you do manage to get it up and running, there's a prompt you can run from the command prompt that will check your battery's health (it actually checks how full it's last charge was, but still).

Here's a tutorial that shows you how to check your battery health.

Aria 12-02-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jare (Post 1787650)
On the loading, is it possible that the hard drive is dead?

I wouldn't know because that pretty much happened one day out of the blue. Unless it's actually common for hard drives to die on their own without people doing anything to it.

kag 12-03-2012 06:16 AM

might be the battery
run it with the battery removed and see if it works.

you can check the hard disk with HDTune check the SMART and do an error test.
HD Tune website

When you meant that it works when plugged to power do you mean that it works perfectly fine?

Aria 12-03-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kag (Post 1787806)
might be the battery
run it with the battery removed and see if it works.

you can check the hard disk with HDTune check the SMART and do an error test.
HD Tune website

When you meant that it works when plugged to power do you mean that it works perfectly fine?

Well, no. It used to work perfectly fine whenever it was plugged in, but now there's the added problem of the computer constantly rebooting itself or shutting down because it just can't stay booted for more than a few seconds without shutting down again, and I can even hear it very clearly.

Where does a laptop get its power from if you remove the battery? D:

DarkRayne 12-03-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rare (Post 1787921)
Where does a laptop get its power from if you remove the battery? D:

the power adapter, it must be plugged in to power without the battery.

kag 12-03-2012 08:50 PM

Use the power adapter without battery first so you can rule out the problem with the battery.
I doubt it is the battery but you can try.

Disable auto restart on system failure first to see if there's any blue screen.
How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows 7