Try 

Vindictus

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
07-26-2012   #1 (permalink)
8-bit
Games
LuniaVindictusS4 LeagueDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: MegaBoy740
Class: Support lt_mage
Level: 30
Guild: Prisma
Default Too much protection?

Hi guys,

I just had to reinstall my Windows 7 because my computer was lagging so bad no matter what program it was (Firefox, League of Legends, etc), but was wondering about anti virus and stuff since I'm starting "new" again.

Before I did a clean install, I had Avast for anti virus, just used the built in Microsoft Firewall, then I had MalwareBytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Advanced System Care, then CCleaner and Defraggler.

Is that way too much for a computer? I've never really been taught about what you should load on a computer to make sure it's protected in these computer classes I'm taking. Some of my friends only use Microsoft Security Essentials and get by just fine with it, but they aren't heavy internet / gamers like I am.

-----------

Another question too, when your putting protection on a machine what (for the lack of a better wordage) "roles do you need to fill" ?

I know you need:
-Anti Virus
-A Firewall
-Anti Malware
-Anti Spyware

Is there any thing else you need to cover?

Sorry for so many questions

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
07-26-2012   #2 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Most of the time you don't need so much stuff.
Antivirus and Firewall should do just fine.
Most newer antivirus can scan for malware and some spyware, not perfect but there's some protection.

Not using Internet Explorer helps a lot as well. (I strongly recommend chrome for their sandbox)

Best practices are the best way to reduce such stuff.
1. Don't visit illegal, dodgy sites. *probably the best prevention of all
If your firefox or chrome says it isn't safe don't force your way into the website.
2. Don't run exe files that you have no idea what it is.
3. Keep your browser, operating system and antivirus up to date.
4. Don't disable UAC and don't click yes to UAC that you don't know what initiated it.
5. Disable USB autorun, autoplay

Another thing to note is that spyware and malware protection is really weak when you visit dodgy foreign sites like russia and china.

You can consider using sandboxie to sandbox your browser or sandbox any dodgy exe files that you intend to run, should be way less cpu/io intensive than having so many services.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

Last edited by kag; 07-26-2012 at 08:12 AM.