Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-28-2012   #1 (permalink)
meow
Special
Games
Asda StoryDragon SagaEmil Chronicle OnlineLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Queen Send a message via Skype™ to Queen
IGN: Evalyn Fior
Class: DRK/MNK/LTW
Guild: HoCD
Default Computer won't start

This is for my parents Compaq. Needless to say, they shouldn't be allowed to have a computer without a stern talking-to and my supervision anyway, but here I am because I'm expected to fix everything they break on it.

I guess what it's doing is you can turn it on but nothing happens. That's all the details I got out of my angry mom.

This pile of junk has gone through a lot in it's less-than-two-year life. My mom bought a virus that I had to sort through and she doesn't scan after I showed her like 10 times because updating antivirus is too confusing for her still.

Any thoughts and I'll go play with it a little bit?

Diablo III North America Glacea#1307, Crusader Main
World of Warcraft US Allure, Holy Paladin <Taurential Reign>
FFXIV Evalyn Fior, Excalibur NA
Nintendo 3DS 4511 - 0825 - 1589 // Wii U tmikucki

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-28-2012   #2 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

run in safe mode and spend 3 hours doing malware/virus scans.
i'd set up a both malware and virus scans in task manager as a weekly thing if she won't run them on her own. you could also have them set to start up before their scheduled update.
this will slow down the computer if it's old, but she probably won't know how to close the programs.

06-28-2012   #3 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

Explain doing nothing. If you push the button and nothing happens its an entire different issue than not POSTing or not getting into Windows.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

06-28-2012   #4 (permalink)
meow
Special
Games

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute

You can tell the backlight is on for the monitor but it does absolutely nothing after that, it's a black screen.

Last time I ran full scans it took over 12 hours due to less-than-stellar specs.

It's only like under two years old but it's got some crap for processor and probably just 2GB RAM, I haven't really checked in months.

The virus she bought took a root scan to get rid of, I can't recall the name of it but I followed a billion steps to nab it.

06-28-2012   #5 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

oh, it doesn't even make it to the windows boot menu? can you access bios? does it beep at you when starting the computer?

06-28-2012   #6 (permalink)
meow
Special
Games

It wasn't beeping or anything, I was yelled to come in to fix the computer and it was just a black, lighted screen.

06-29-2012   #7 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

force power off first.
then power on to see if you get the bios
if there's no bios then some hardware is acting up, probably graphics card, RAM or motherboard.
If you can boot up, try to get into safe mode and do scans like what cornflake said

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

06-29-2012   #8 (permalink)
meow
Special
Games

she tried it again this morning and it worked, but doesn't mean it won't happen again.

I'll safe mode scan and see what happens. I figured RAM or something but that was my best guess.

06-29-2012   #9 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute

Tip: Force them to use Chrome and let them login as user privilege, they probably don't need to install anything

06-30-2012   #10 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

This isn't a software issue, it's a hardware problem. I've had these regularly on some machines. It's stuck somewhere during POST. You can simply ignore it and just reboot until it works or you gotta swap parts to figure out which one is causing it. Most of the time it's the HDD or GPU.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

06-30-2012   #11 (permalink)
meow
Special
Games

I'll let her know that, haven't gotten around to scanning anyway but I'm sure it needs it anyway.

06-30-2012   #12 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

check your eventviewer filter errors and warnings and see if anything turns up.
also check the minidump see if you gotten any bsods which you didn't see.

07-02-2012   #13 (permalink)
meow
Special
Games

Not sure how to get those if you wouldn't mind running me through that process.

My dad had the sense to run Avast. Found 29 viruses. Ran everything in safe mode. All we found was more junk from Spyware search and destroy. I'll scan in safe mode again in a few more days and see if anything else turns up. Depending on if I have time when I get home at 11:30 tonight and how much I have to do I can get you those logs.