ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Technical Issues (http://ggftw.com/forum/technical-issues/)
-   -   keyboard stops working (http://ggftw.com/forum/technical-issues/114250-keyboard-stops-working.html)

Cornflake 06-26-2012 09:00 PM

keyboard stops working

for a few days now i've had issues with my keyboard failing. i thought it was a software issue. at first it was happening when i ran a java application and shut it down, then i thought it was an issue with an emulator (since i use emulators nearly once a day), then i thought it might be a firefox or flash issue. however this happens if i just leave my computer sitting on it's own (running something like a scan or defrag) and i can't figure out what's causing it.

i fear it may be a hardware issue, but i haven't been getting any obvious hardware errors. nothing shows up in eventvwr when it happens, and the computer still works except for keyboard.

anyone have a clue as to what it could be?

kag 06-27-2012 01:09 AM

can it work with the bios?
if it can then it probably isn't the hardware.

Scan for malware or even rootkits as well.

Cornflake 06-27-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kag (Post 1739488)
can it work with the bios?
if it can then it probably isn't the hardware.

Scan for malware or even rootkits as well.

it works with bios, but it works with windows for a few hours before it stops, and i don't spend hours sitting in the bios.

i've done all the malware scans i can think to try. what rootkit scanner would you recommend? i've used tdsskiller, but to my understanding it misses some things anyway.

Shugi 06-27-2012 02:41 PM

USB or PS/2 and what kind of keyboard?

Tried other keyboards?

Cornflake 06-27-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shugi (Post 1739595)
USB or PS/2 and what kind of keyboard?

Tried other keyboards?

it's a ps/2 keyboard. i have not tried other keyboards, but i can input letters using my gamepad and joy2key.

Shugi 06-30-2012 10:26 AM

Since it's a PS/2 Keyboard, it's most likely your keyboard. Try a different keyboard and see if it fixes it. It may also be your PS/2 port, since PS/2 is not plug and play if you disconnect at any point your keyboard won't work until a reboot.

Cornflake 06-30-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shugi (Post 1740586)
Since it's a PS/2 Keyboard, it's most likely your keyboard. Try a different keyboard and see if it fixes it. It may also be your PS/2 port, since PS/2 is not plug and play if you disconnect at any point your keyboard won't work until a reboot.

it actually hasn't happened in a few days (i didn't change anything). i expect it's just the connection being broken with the port as you said. i do have a few other ps/2 keyboards handy, but haven't tested them with this computer because i like the keyboard i'm using now.

i might pick up a usb keyboard as a backup just so i don't have to reboot, but the key input cap (or whatever it's called) on usb keyboards can be pretty annoying.

Shugi 06-30-2012 04:40 PM

You can use a PS/2 to USB converter if you can find one somewhere.