Perfect World

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
12-11-2011   #1 (permalink)
fat fat fat fat fat PIG
PROBLEMS BUTA?!
Special Games
Aika OnlineAll Point Bulletin (APB)Alliance of Valiant ArmsAsda Story

buta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Computer Ded

So after moving it back home from college, my computer refuses to stay on. It was working fine before the move, we didn't drop it during the move, and after the move, when the power button is pressed, it shuts off after roughly 4 seconds. Everything sounds normal up until it just shuts off.

Things I've tried:
1. Switching out memory sticks since I have another pair that I thought was dying.
2. Switching out hard drive (inadvertently breaking something) just to check/narrow down that component.
3. Swapping out the video card/unplugging it completely. While unplugging it completely doesn't shut off the computer after 4 seconds, it beeps for a second or two and then nothing. I assume it's complaining about lack of graphics card. The old one, same deal.
4. Swapping out power supply for another one. Also to no avail.
5. Changing CMOS battery. Wanted to reset CMOS and wasn't sure if pins were working so opted for the more ghetto way, tested the battery and found it was dead, replaced, but same deal.

Everything I've looked up suggests overheating, but it's freaking cold and it's cleaned inside so... probably not it, especially since it was working before with no problems.

Any ideas? My guess is CPU and/or mobo. I ordered replacement ones already, but if the problem can still be fixed, I can leave this comp for my dad.

TY

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
12-11-2011   #2 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

It's your CPU. Reapply thermal paste. Stop turning it on or you'll completely burn it.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

12-11-2011   #3 (permalink)
fat fat fat fat fat PIG
PROBLEMS BUTA?!
Special Games

buta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond reputebuta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shugi
It's your CPU. Reapply thermal paste. Stop turning it on or you'll completely burn it.
The temperature has never gotten really high, though. Rather, it's downright cold.

Edit: Tried it. Nothing.

Last edited by buta; 12-11-2011 at 11:47 PM.

12-12-2011   #4 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

mobo is dead. i had this issue with my parents desktop, just got a new mobo and everything was a-ok.

12-12-2011   #5 (permalink)
fat fat fat fat fat PIG
PROBLEMS BUTA?!
Special Games

Are there any symptoms to know this ahead of time (that a motherboard is dying)?

12-12-2011   #6 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

probably motherboard
any chance of it being too cold? since you have been saying it is cold.

There is a really rare chance that the power switch is staying in a stuck state causing it to power off like what would happen when you hold the power button.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

12-12-2011   #7 (permalink)
fat fat fat fat fat PIG
PROBLEMS BUTA?!
Special Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
probably motherboard
any chance of it being too cold? since you have been saying it is cold.

There is a really rare chance that the power switch is staying in a stuck state causing it to power off like what would happen when you hold the power button.
Iono about the too cold. I've never heard of that being a problem. All the other computers still turn on so I doubt it. Unless my computer is more sensitive or something lol

And yeah, I read about that too, but I turned it on without the video card and it beeps and stays on, but doesn't do anything. If I hold the power button down without the video card, it'll shut off after a few seconds without ever reaching the beep. If that makes sense. So it's probably not the switch either.

Are there any other ways of testing it for certain? Or would that just require me to buy a new mobo that works with my CPU and a new CPU that works with this mobo and testing it that way? X_x

12-12-2011   #8 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

I'd go with motherboard too. Terrible luck if it turns out to be the CPU.

12-12-2011   #9 (permalink)
fat fat fat fat fat PIG
PROBLEMS BUTA?!
Special Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflKnife
I'd go with motherboard too. Terrible luck if it turns out to be the CPU.
Ironically, I've wanted an upgrade for a while now. The CPU is actually on the old side. Kinda.

12-13-2011   #10 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Quote:
Originally Posted by buta
Iono about the too cold. I've never heard of that being a problem. All the other computers still turn on so I doubt it. Unless my computer is more sensitive or something lol

And yeah, I read about that too, but I turned it on without the video card and it beeps and stays on, but doesn't do anything. If I hold the power button down without the video card, it'll shut off after a few seconds without ever reaching the beep. If that makes sense. So it's probably not the switch either.

Are there any other ways of testing it for certain? Or would that just require me to buy a new mobo that works with my CPU and a new CPU that works with this mobo and testing it that way? X_x
The chance of it being CPU is quite low.
broken cpus usually give beeps or never turn on at all, it will auto power off only when it overheats which doesn't seem to be the case

there is one way to test the switch is to unplug the switch jumper and use your screwdriver to short the 2 pins to switch it on (or you can use the reset switch's jumper)

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist