LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
12-01-2011   #1 (permalink)
SOC
"God is my Judge."
Special
Games
La TaleFinal Fantasy XIRagnarok OnlineMapleStory
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

SOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SOC
IGN: Fortuleo
Class: Duelist/Judgement lt_gunslinger
Level: 142/152
Guild: GoldenDawn
Default I just got a new laptop and I need some help.

I bought a Sony VAIO VPCEH2KFX during Cyber Monday off Newegg and the first thing I noticed when I opened it from the box and turned it on that the colors on the screen are way off/ugly/not right/natural. Sonic the Hedgehog looks purple, for instance. So I updated all the drivers immediately, no good, colors still off. Played with the nVidia control panel settings, nothing I tried made it look right. Did Windows color calibration, no good. Already Googled, no help.

VAIO Specs:

Newegg.com - SONY VAIO EH Series VPCEH2KFX/B Notebook Intel Core i5 2430M(2.40GHz) 15.5" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce 410M

Also, I hear a constant soft static noise in the background with earphones plugged in. Earphones are fine; no static on other PCs or devices. All drivers up to date.

And finally, the biggest issue with this. This Sony VAIO has a 2.4 GHz processor with a dedicated 1 GB nVidia 410m graphics card. My last laptop, an ASUS, had a 1.2 GHz processor with an integrated nVidia 310m graphics card. Both using the exact same nVidia driver found on nVidia's site (way better than Sony's or Asus' official site drivers) with the exact same nVidia control panel settings and in game settings, my ASUS would play LoL at a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better frame rate/consistency/less delay than this VAIO. How is that even possible? This VAIO's specs blow the ASUS out of the water. All drivers are up to date on both. I know this VAIO has a dedicated card, but is there some setting I need to change to make sure it's using the card to the fullest with each program/game? I know most laptops, if possible, use the CPU for graphics by default to save power. Well, I don't need to save power/battery at all. I've checked everywhere in the nVidia control panel, and all my power plan options are on high performance/maximum. Made sure all the processor states are at 100% for both min and max. I went to look at the BIOS to see if it was on some power saving plan or something, but couldn't find anything like that. (You spam F2 on startup for VAIOs) It's important to note that the loading time in champion select/before game start for this VAIO is way faster than my ASUS. During champ select, all the flashes/animations/ect. are way faster and better on my VAIO. It's just in game during team fights and big minion waves and all that where everything starts to suck. Also, when a team mate starts to use recall near me everything gets really slow and terrible FPS and I start getting nasty delay. Wasn't like that on my ASUS.

Both VAIO and ASUS use:

Highest quality characters
Highest quality effects
Highest quality environment
No shadows
Vertical sync on
1366x768 resolution, full screen
Benchmark frame rate cap
And all the exact same nVidia control panel settings.

ASUS specs:

Newegg.com - ASUS UL80 Series UL80JT-A1 NoteBook Intel Core i3 330UM(1.20GHz) 14" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 310M+Intel GMA HD

When I emailed Sony about this, they said revert BIOS back to default values. Well, I don't know what they mean by that as Sony never released any other BIOS for this laptop, so they're already in default values. Regardless, I spammed F2 at startup and did that, but it didn't change anything, the BIOS are still the same and all the drivers are still the same updated versions even.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
12-01-2011   #2 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

just sounds like it's defective. get a RMA and use your old ASUS while you wait for a return if it is possible.

12-02-2011   #3 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

try disabling vsync?
also check the task manager for cpu usage, it could just 1 buggy software eating up the cpu time.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

12-02-2011   #4 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

Video card is defective. There's a soldering issues or a short circuit somewhere, which is why you see the weird colors. You can fix it by using a pencil... but just get it exchanged. It's brand new.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

12-02-2011   #5 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

my bad i didn't read the weird colors, yea it is faulty get it changed

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist