LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
11-21-2011   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Special Games
La TaleTrickster OnlinePangyaROHAN: Blood Feud
Awards MoM Award

Aria has disabled reputation
Default Excel problem!

I have an Excel spreadsheet saved on my external drive that I edit almost on a daily basis. Just now I opened it to edit something and find that all the changes I've made to it for the past month are all gone. The system tells me this file has not been edited since 11/01, which means 21 days' worth of editing pretty much just went poof.

I always use the "Save", not "Save As" option, so I know for a fact it hasn't simply been saved to another location. Apparently other Excel users have experienced this before,but I googled and have yet to find a fix.

Spoiler!

I don't even dare to edit this file anymore for now. It doesn't contain any sensitive or very important information, but it helps me organize... well, life stuff, so I would like to get everything back.

So how did this happen?

Edit: Another thing - the file was created well before May 6th.

Last edited by Aria; 11-21-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-21-2011   #2 (permalink)
No good next to diamonds
Games
Neo SteamValkyrie SkyTrickster OnlineTribal Wars

JoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud of
IGN: Pinfire
Level: 50

That doesn't really sound like an excel problem. It sounds more like a hard drive issue. Have any other files on the HDD done the same thing?

11-21-2011   #3 (permalink)
wat?
Games
Anarchy OnlineAionAtlantica OnlineFinal Fantasy XIV
Awards Facebook Fan

DarkRayne has a spectacular aura aboutDarkRayne has a spectacular aura aboutDarkRayne has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to DarkRayne
Class: Sith Assassin lt_sorcerer
Guild: Omega Matrix
Xfire: d4rthsid

For now fact is your data is gone and you really can't do much for that.
Suggestions
1. Store your excel online via something like Dropbox or the like and locally on your pc or external, odds are your file won't have this issue unless the server your file is stored at goes down then your online copy will be gone. Backups are invaluable.

2. Kind of similar to 1, use something like Google Doc's spreadsheets instead or in conjunction with excel.

3. Pen and paper, data never magically vanishes with the good old pen and paper

11-22-2011   #4 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

you can scan the harddisk with recovery tools and see if you can obtain the file back.
If recovery fails try doing a chkdsk on the drive.

A piece of advice, try not to store important data in only 1 location.
(Cause if you happen to drop the portable hard drive [It happens], gg)

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

11-22-2011   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Special Games
Awards MoM Award

@JoyDivision - Nope, nothing like this has ever happened before. If I save something, it's as good as forever, unless my entire hard drive becomes corrupted or something. I'm totally confused why only this particular Excel spreadsheet is affected out of all the other ones I have. The rest are fine.

@kag - Well, yeah. But my portable drive is very small and easy to handle. I never bring it with me anywhere and I treat it carefully, so I consider everything I store there to be safe. Good advice regardless.

11-22-2011   #6 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineEden EternalMapleStoryRagnarok Online

Kusuriuri has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Kusuriuri Send a message via Skype™ to Kusuriuri

Even if you take good care of it, you should never keep anything important saved in one place. All it takes is one thing to go wrong.

This is why I keep my character art saved in like three places now. I ended up losing one somehow, which was a little weird because I'd remembered using it not too long before that to make an icon. I couldn't find it anywhere, and I know I didn't delete it or anything, but luckily someone else also had it saved, so I got another copy and immediately made sure I had it in more than one place, just in case something odd happened again.

Whether you take good care of your things or not is irrelevant. If it's important, keep a backup.

モノノ怪

Last edited by Kusuriuri; 11-22-2011 at 09:07 PM.

11-23-2011   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Special Games
Awards MoM Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryxios
Whether you take good care of your things or not is irrelevant. If it's important, keep a backup.
Well, I actually store the really important stuff (especially huge files) on two separate drives. I have 3 external drives, 2 of which I use regularly. This Excel file I edit almost everyday and I'm short of USB ports at the moment to plug in another drive for backing up, so it was rather unexpected, I guess.