Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
10-10-2011   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Special
Games
AuditionMapleStoryTrickster OnlineDofus
Awards Facebook Fan

Mazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Router problems

I know I should probably contact my ISP about this but my dad is really getting on my case and stressing at me that our connection is fine and I really don't know what my ISP could possibly suggest to my problem.

Basically, I'm with an ISP called Virgin Media. My router has 6 lights on it. When all the lights are lit up but the bottom one (a tick) is flashing, my computer has absolutely no internet access at all. This isn't the problem though... basically what I've noticed is that if the top and bottom lights are lit up but the 4 in the middle are quite literally FREAKING OUT and flashing like crazy, lighting up and going off all at the exact same time, it causes me connection problems to my games.

It is ONLY my games that I suffer the dicsonnections in. Browsing the net and doing anything else is perfectly fine. My dad downloaded stuff stupidly fast and easily even with the lights going crazy... yet for me, I'm sat upstairs getting frustrated that my games are kicking me off every 1~2 minutes or lagging immensely until I disconnect, yet my internet and everything else works like normal.

I don't know how I can explain this any clearer... I keep restarting my router, which probably isn't doing the router itself any good, but it's the only solution I have. I haven't pinned down an exact time that my connection is fixed for before the lights go crazy and I start disconnecting again, but I had this problem a few weeks ago for a few days and eventually it went away... now it's come back and it's happening every day but a LOT more frequent. Since my dad and brother aren't having any problems with their connections (mainly because they don't play MMOs like I do) they refuse to even attempt to look into the issue, so I'm stuck running up and down the stairs, restarting my router every so often.

Anyone know what could be going on? I would assume it's some sort of bandwidth issue but heh, I suggest that to my dad and I'll make him rage all over again. Help?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
10-10-2011   #2 (permalink)
No good next to diamonds
Games
Neo SteamValkyrie SkyTrickster OnlineTribal Wars

JoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud of
IGN: Pinfire
Level: 50

It could be due to where you're at in the house. Wireless is notoriously finicky. Try moving around if you have a laptop and see if you still have the same problem. Or move your desktop to check.

10-11-2011   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Special
Games
AuditionMapleStoryTrickster OnlineDofus
Awards Facebook Fan

Mazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond reputeMazuiko has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not using wireless though, I'm using an ethernet cable plugged into the back of my desktop PC. My PC has always been in my room in the same part of my room and it has never had any problems like this before. ><;

10-11-2011   #4 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

if your router is supported by dd-wrt, tomato or openwrt
try one of those firmwares instead

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist