Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
02-02-2011   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

brotosterone is on a distinguished road
Default How I went from silver league to diamond league and now master league

For anyone under diamond, all you have to do is learn how to macro. PERIOD. I hear people say "but there is so much cheese and 1 basing that learning to macro is a waste of time!" Guess what, it doesn't matter . If you are macroing well enough you will defend those cheeses and you can kiss the lower leagues goodbye.

Here's my write-up I did on a few exercises that brought me out of silver and into diamond when I first started out playing the game. I did this as zerg, but for other races the fundamental idea is the same - learning how to macro off of 3 base:

Starcraft 2: Masters League to the Top 200: How I learned to macro and go from Silver league to Masters league (as Zerg)

Feel free to ask any questions

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
02-03-2011   #2 (permalink)
(^▽^#)ノシ
Special
Games
Alicia
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

Kowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Kowiz

macro is definitely one of the keys to getting to high leagues, aside from cheeses and really well timed pushes.

it's a good read/practice for those that are still in bronze league :P

02-03-2011   #3 (permalink)
:l
Special

SlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond repute

Well done on your achievement. Macro is pretty much a requirement to play. Can't really micro 2 marines vs 4 marines : you'll always lose...

It's funny to watch two macro styles go the extreme though. One game between Flash and Jaedong in BroodWar had Flash on 3 bases and Jaedong with I think 5 expansions running very quickly. Jaedong kept map control with like 1 zergling and 1 mutalisk because you can fake stack mutalisks that way lol. He still lost but there was no fights on the map for over 15mins I think. That kind of metagame development is what keeps me interested in rts. It leads to some real mind games in best of series when you mix it up with "cheese" and other timing pushes.

Really wish I had the motivation and time to get promoted to masters though. I have less than 100 1v1 league games and sitting at ~1000 point +2000 bonus pool diamond...q-q

02-04-2011   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBro
Well done on your achievement. Macro is pretty much a requirement to play. Can't really micro 2 marines vs 4 marines : you'll always lose...

It's funny to watch two macro styles go the extreme though. One game between Flash and Jaedong in BroodWar had Flash on 3 bases and Jaedong with I think 5 expansions running very quickly. Jaedong kept map control with like 1 zergling and 1 mutalisk because you can fake stack mutalisks that way lol. He still lost but there was no fights on the map for over 15mins I think. That kind of metagame development is what keeps me interested in rts. It leads to some real mind games in best of series when you mix it up with "cheese" and other timing pushes.

Really wish I had the motivation and time to get promoted to masters though. I have less than 100 1v1 league games and sitting at ~1000 point +2000 bonus pool diamond...q-q
lol I'm gonna look that game up

What's your character name and character code? Want to do some practice games?

02-07-2011   #5 (permalink)
Special

SlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond repute

It's SlowBro.325 and sure. I just got promoted to Masters after playing 1 game after a long hiatus lol.

02-13-2011   #6 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

This will definitely come in handy for me.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

02-14-2011   #7 (permalink)
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol
lol all i did was 4gate
typical protoss scum :v

02-14-2011   #8 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

This seems to be working for me.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

02-15-2011   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

sleeptalk is on a distinguished road

nice. i'm terran player but still nice guide. maybe we can play together someday?

02-15-2011   #10 (permalink)
Special

i counter with 14cc

02-15-2011   #11 (permalink)
Special

allied mines gg

02-16-2011   #12 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptalk
nice. i'm terran player but still nice guide. maybe we can play together someday?
Yea bro NP. Though I did it with Zerg, the same concept applies to all races.

02-21-2011   #13 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

SlowBro taught me how to better myself at macro, by competing to create the most stuff when in team games.

broto, your Zerg POV videos have helped improve my zerg drastically when it came to macro with keeping on top of larvae/queens because of your hotkey setup.

Maybe I'll take 1v1 serious someday and stop worker rushing because I find 1v1 boring.. lawl

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

02-23-2011   #14 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
SlowBro taught me how to better myself at macro, by competing to create the most stuff when in team games.

broto, your Zerg POV videos have helped improve my zerg drastically when it came to macro with keeping on top of larvae/queens because of your hotkey setup.

Maybe I'll take 1v1 serious someday and stop worker rushing because I find 1v1 boring.. lawl
Wow thanks for the kind words Follow me on my stream on justin.tv if you want to watch more. I'll be able to talk to you there too if you have any questions or anything.

brotosterone's SCII stream on Justin.tv

I stream most weeknights and sunday nights.