LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
03-12-2013   #1 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Special
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Admin AwardMost Valuable StaffMoM AwardPervert AwardTHE CHAMP

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208
Default Heart of the Swarm Campaign

Anyone else finding this easy?

I've not had to put any real effort into playing and I'm having no real issues getting by, but I still have some gripes.

I am getting sick of seeing timed missions where you're always expected to do x, y and z in under 5 minutes or it's game over. It just promotes spamming cheap units to get the job done ASAP.
Against hybrids that deal AoE damage that's pretty damn annoying to deal with.

I'm also not fond of enemy units appearing out of no where when you've wiped the map clean of bases, what's the point of base hunting if they keep appearing?
--

Aside from that I am loving the story and the feel of being part of the swarm, to collect DNA strains and spinning them into the zerg to evolve them into formidable creatures is more involving than I imagined.

Anyhow I'm currently dealing with "Phantoms of the Void" which is unsurprisingly a timed mission and you're dealing with 3/3/3 hybrids.
Oh the joy, this mission may actually kick my ass. Never mind that was extremely easy...

What do you guys think about the campaign thus far?

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

Last edited by Light; 03-13-2013 at 06:45 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
03-14-2013   #2 (permalink)
VIP

VorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the idea of being put under the knife and coughing out tons of cheap expendable units just to survive was the core of the zerg mentality. The terran campaign was a lot of base fortifying and moving up a bit at a time. Heart of the swarm is a lot of swarming, which comes at no surprise really. The central mechanic is flooding units onto the map and doing so enough to make sure the enemy never gets back on their feet. Having enemy drops plays into the game style really well too. Throwing 100 zerglings at a base, knowing that 100 more are going to spawn at the hatchery just to bring down a few siege tanks and bunkers feels like playing the enemy in the WoL campaign. You are no longer the one defending the base and holding on to your tanks with dear life. You are the one who's jumping onto the tanks and flooding the outpost with lings and mutas. It's fun to play the other side of the coin.

03-14-2013   #3 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Special
Games

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert

I understand what you're talking about however if there's no challenge then there's no fun to be had.

WoL was far more memorable because of the difficulty, and saying that being the zerg means you can just snowball everything with ease is not a legitimate excuse to make the game boring.

You're invading the most heavily fortified terran planet in the sector and you can just mass lings and use kerrigan to deal with any tanks, without fear of losing any engagement, that's not fun at all and in WoL it is possible to wipe every single zerg base you see, INCLUDING the bases on char if you play your cards right... However Kerrigan is always the royal flush in HoTS

I looked on the SC2 forums and I'm part of the majority as many casual players (such as myself) don't even put effort into the game and win primarily because kerrigan can solo every single brutal stage by herself if micro'd half decently. She can solo 2 hybrids on brutal, that's 3k health/shield each and she can scratch by with over 50% hp, not fun.

The only missions causing people to put a slight bit of effort into are the ones where she's not available, and even then they're still too easy.

It's a damn shame too because mixing up your strategy to win, trying new unit compositions you had to do in WoL and in HoTS the idea of switching unit powerups to better cater to doing better in the upcoming mission is all obsolete and pointless.

I hope Zeratul is not playable in LoTV and no warp in exists or it will suffer the same fate.

03-16-2013   #4 (permalink)
VIP

VorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond repute

They could have made this less of an issue if Kerrigan was actually hunted in some of the missions. In WoL, Kerrigan was force targeted by most of your army, and you never see that kind of AI response in the game. I expected to see ravens with seeker missiles wiping out all the lings, advancing siege tanks, thor drops to cut off escapes, and a bunch of stimmed marauders running up to a lone Kerrigan unit caught in the middle of a map suddenly with no backup. Maybe a few teams of airdropped merc marines for good measure. You know, the kind of desperation kill that every player was forced to do in WoL.

That Kerrigan needs the swarm to survive and everyone wants her dead is never really fleshed out in the gameplay either. I expected Kerrigan to be a powerful unit that you really had to fight to keep alive and using. Instead, many of the missions ended up having Kerrigan as a base breaker and the other units at meat shields. There's never that sense of 'oh crap, I'm all alone in the open' that there should be. Even micro'ing out in the open with a lone hero unit in Marine Arena captures that feeling better than the campaign missions.

03-16-2013   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games
Grand ChaseMapleStoryTrickster OnlineLa Tale

RaineScarlet is a jewel in the roughRaineScarlet is a jewel in the roughRaineScarlet is a jewel in the rough
IGN: RaineScarlet

My HotS copy is coming on Tuesday.
But from what you're saying, I might have a shit time because I like playing as defensive Terran...

03-16-2013   #6 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by VorpalBunny
They could have made this less of an issue if Kerrigan was actually hunted in some of the missions. In WoL, Kerrigan was force targeted by most of your army, and you never see that kind of AI response in the game. I expected to see ravens with seeker missiles wiping out all the lings, advancing siege tanks, thor drops to cut off escapes, and a bunch of stimmed marauders running up to a lone Kerrigan unit caught in the middle of a map suddenly with no backup. Maybe a few teams of airdropped merc marines for good measure. You know, the kind of desperation kill that every player was forced to do in WoL.

That Kerrigan needs the swarm to survive and everyone wants her dead is never really fleshed out in the gameplay either. I expected Kerrigan to be a powerful unit that you really had to fight to keep alive and using. Instead, many of the missions ended up having Kerrigan as a base breaker and the other units at meat shields. There's never that sense of 'oh crap, I'm all alone in the open' that there should be. Even micro'ing out in the open with a lone hero unit in Marine Arena captures that feeling better than the campaign missions.
After reading this I take it you finished the campaign on brutal, and you're right that surgical strikes and playing dirty are at times part of Terran strategy.

When hearing the words from Valerian during the Dominion raid on the Umojan ships "My father will sacrifice any piece on the chessboard to take the queen" I was really looking forward to seeing Terran go All-In and sort of being like the swarm themselves, massive ships and armies using every ability and skill it can muster to eradicate the biggest threat to humanity... or so you'd think.

They should have used the Elite Ai, because it actually does use seeker missles, stimpacks and other abilities in their battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineScarlet
My HotS copy is coming on Tuesday.
But from what you're saying, I might have a shit time because I like playing as defensive Terran...
Defensive Terran? You're playing the zerg in this game and defensive missions do exist, but it's all about wiping out life on every planet you see with rush tactics and literal swarming with massive armies.

If you're experienced with the game even a little bit then you'll find the difficulty disappointing and the only challenge would be the mastery achievements if you even care to get them.

Otherwise the story elements and feeling like you're part of the swarm does exist and isn't that bad.

03-19-2013   #7 (permalink)
(^▽^#)ノシ
Special
Games
Alicia
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

Kowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Kowiz

The campaign was too easy, the only time it was vaguely hard, was if you tried to do all the achievements in one run, while on brutal.

03-23-2013   #8 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Special
Games

As boring as it was, I finally completed Heart of the Swarm.

Premature Evacuation reminds me of the "Destroy 4 Hatcheries on Hard Difficulty in Zero Hour" achievement in Wings of Liberty.
Only two unit types at your disposal against many types of units on the enemy team putting the odds against your favor, as well as imposing a time limit making it a failure if you make a minor mistake.

That makes it the hardest achievement to earn, but unlike wings where a few banelings break your fragile marine line and piss you off to no end, you've got Kerrigan to deal the blows to all the tanks and bunkers across your path and lift units to their deaths making it just as easy as everything else.

Kerrigan you're too OP.
Mengsk made you into a goddess of destruction, you should be happy, not filled with rage.

Infest me please

03-29-2013   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games

RaineScarlet is a jewel in the roughRaineScarlet is a jewel in the roughRaineScarlet is a jewel in the rough

I completed the campaign a few days ago. It started off interesting, but the plot got stale really fast. The ending was kinda cute though.
Also was very easy, seeing how I'm bad at Starcraft. xD I had way more trouble with WoL.

03-29-2013   #10 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Special
Games

Now it's time for you to complete heart of the swarm. (100% Achievements)
Took me time due to boredom but it's not hard.

Go for it.

03-30-2013   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games

Yes, that's what I've been doing. It's dumb, since they can all be done on normal difficulty. IIRC, WoL had ones where I had to go on Brutal.

The only good thing about HotS is F2, because I'm a starcraft noob and I like being able to select everything-minus-drones.

03-30-2013   #12 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Special
Games

Brutal has never been a prerequisite for mission specific achievements, only hard.

What I didn't like is that they took the hard missions and put them in the subcategory called Mastery.
It was easier to know what chain it was in when it was put in the missions tab it belongs too.

Plus it's misleading since true Mastery would be brutal achievements that don't involve Kerrigan.

03-30-2013   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
Brutal has never been a prerequisite for mission specific achievements, only hard.
Oh, whoops. I guess I didn't remember it correctly. HotS basically made the game noob-friendly, so newer players wouldn't mind (me), and good SC players will hate it.

Off topic, I just noticed your Orin gif. It's so adorable! C:

03-31-2013   #14 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineScarlet
Off topic, I just noticed your Orin gif. It's so adorable! C:
Yes she is quite adorable, moving corpses around in a wheel barrel has never been so cute.