ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Staff Class (http://ggftw.com/forum/staff-class/)
-   -   Is mana shield worth it and is my build for PvE efficient? (http://ggftw.com/forum/staff-class/36247-mana-shield-worth-my-build-pve-efficient.html)

Allea 01-22-2009 02:15 PM

Is mana shield worth it and is my build for PvE efficient?

I'm currently a level 53 staff main and I was wondering is mana shield worth it?

This is my skill distribution for staff main: lvl 31 blessing, lvl 5 will, 16 hex and 1 scud (I will remove will and hex for scud but it'll cost me a TON of gold) (yes, I screwed up but restarting again discourages me)

and this is my current formation :
bt/spear/sword
gun/viking/archer
monk/-/shaman(main)

I'm planning on getting witch soon to fill that empty spot and replace my spear for exo eventually.
Not sure on future mercs though except that I will replace sword for LK. Replace gunner for cannoneer maybe?

So it might look like this:
BT/LK/Exo (with guard stone)
cannoneer?/viking/prophet?
monk/witch/shaman(main)

For my witch though, I'm going for max meteor but, should I get both mana recharge and mana drain?
For my exo I'm maxing speed cast and some points into mana seal but is mana burn worth it?
This will be mostly a PvE (probably AoE skill) build with maybe about 10-15% PvP (if I PvP it'll be mainly for FL).
If I could get an oracle then where should I put it (for healing purposes and maybe seth...)?
Another thing: how does mana shield work and if so is it worth it?

Please comment and make suggestions, ok thanks.

badna0 01-23-2009 01:02 AM

1 level in mana recharge is sufficient. I'm maxing meteor and drain, but i heard trap is also useful since lots of later mobs use brutal/seths.

Also, consider waiting on speccing scud, new patch (evo) will eventually bring a new staff aoe main only skill, which does tons of damage and is > than scud in nearly every way.
max blessing/meteor (the new staff aoe) is ideal.

I can say that if you don't have scud maxed, probably you'd want a different merc, maybe another spear or an art instead for stun/physical pressure/ap drain. scud is good when stacked with beast summon / meteor. Not to say you can't get a witch, though.

Exo you'll want to max seal and (possibly) speed cast. Manaburn's primary purpose is in conjunction with mana trap/drain to stop a seths will line in pvp (no mana mercs w/ seth = can't attack).

Oracle will probably be replacing your shaman, in your theoretical build I'd probably replace your witch.

From what I've heard about mana shield, it uses your mana in place of your hp when you take damage. I heard it does an adequate job of reducing damage, until you get focused, in which case your mana pool goes baibai. Debatable; may be worth getting a few points, it remains to be seen.
Your proposed formation is a little bit of everything, you might want to hash out a strategy in order to get a better feel of what to tweak/change; are you going for stuns/aoe/freezing middle line after focusing front/etc. etc.

Javier 01-23-2009 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allea (Post 679037)
For my witch though, I'm going for max meteor but, should I get both mana recharge and mana drain?
For my exo I'm maxing speed cast and some points into mana seal but is mana burn worth it?
This will be mostly a PvE (probably AoE skill) build with maybe about 10-15% PvP (if I PvP it'll be mainly for FL).
If I could get an oracle then where should I put it (for healing purposes and maybe seth...)?
Another thing: how does mana shield work and if so is it worth it?

Please comment and make suggestions, ok thanks.

Am a ~90 staff with almost the same mercs as your future setup so I could give you a few pointers from my experience..I guess? For your future build, consider putting the witch on the frontline- since she's a flying merc she can't get hit by melee and her high mdef makes magic do negligible damage to her. This makes her a pretty solid "tank" actually, she's only really vulnerable to long-range attacks. I currently have her on the frontline with the viking behind her, so she can tank magic hits for the viking.

- Recharge is apparently pretty decent at level 1, although I have mine at 20 just because I like all my spells to be at least level 20. Mana drain is very very useful, consider investing a decent amount of points into it, like say at least 20. It's a row attack, that not only drains mana, but damages the enemy and recharges your own witch's mana as well so it's pretty useful.

- Mana burn is pretty weak unless you raise it really high (it's about 1.5-2x weaker than a mana drain). I hardly use it for PvE. I think it's better to max out speed cast and a decent investment in mana seal.

- From what I've heard, mana shield basically cuts your mana when you take damage instead of your HP. As far as PvE is concerned, I'm not sure if it's going to be that useful because we're pretty squishy anyway, if we're being focus fired on it'll probably just delay death by a turn or something. I'll probably be waiting to see what others have to say about it before actually getting it, since I already have 3 skills atm (60 scud, ~45 blessing and 1 guard dispel).

Hope that helps!

Edit:I got mana shield lvl. 1 a couple of days ago. It does, in fact, seem to prolong my life and I totally do not regret investing one point into this skill. Basically, it triggers every time you get hit by a physical attack (not sure if it's melee only, or both melee+ranged attack, will have to look into it), for a set number of times per turn, healing about ~200hp per trigger. This is all in PvE, I have not tested it for PvP. Also, it does drain off a significant chunk of mana if you're being focus fired on so make sure you have a huge mana pool before investing in this skill.