ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Site Bugs (http://ggftw.com/forum/site-bugs/)
-   -   Kept getting directed to this page :< (http://ggftw.com/forum/site-bugs/100925-kept-getting-directed-page.html)

Blizt 08-22-2011 06:03 PM

Kept getting directed to this page :<

I suppose this is not really a site bug, but I think I can only seek help from here? =(

Right now, whenever I tried to use ggftw, no matter which sections' link do I go to, I kept getting redirected to this page:
Spider Authentication

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r..._messed_up.jpg
(even the icon on my toolbar changed...and no, typing my ID/PW doesn't work)

I used IE, google chorme, and even on my iTouch as well, all have shown the same result.
(since my iTouch didn't work too, seems like it's not my computer problem? :<)

It was all fine about 30 mins ago...(I was watching a 20 mins long video on youtube, after I was done it became like this...)

Asked my friend too, who doesn't seem to be experiencing any problem, so he suggested me to use proxy to see it, and so I used it to now report the problem here.

Is my IP blocked by ggftw or something? I really didn't do anything though...>_<

Paul 08-22-2011 06:34 PM

I just had this issue a while ago to. Came back and tried again and everything was back to normal.

NoeJeko 08-22-2011 06:41 PM

This page does not exist on our servers -- anywhere. I've done some research and realized that it's a KVM authentication portal (a keyboard/mouse/monitor solution for servers).

Either one of two things are happening. One (and most benign), Amazon has f'ed something up and you're getting this. I haven't had it happen to me yet but I'm still investigating.

Two, check your c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file. You should have no entries for ggFTW in there. If you do, then either you entered it way back when we moved servers and DNS didn't switch over OR you've been hostjacked.

I'll be watching to see if anyone else reports this issue but the file you mentioned is NOT on our server -- anywhere. I get a 404 (as I should) from any place I try to access it.

Blizt 08-22-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoeJeko (Post 1591203)
This page does not exist on our servers -- anywhere. I've done some research and realized that it's a KVM authentication portal (a keyboard/mouse/monitor solution for servers).

Either one of two things are happening. One (and most benign), Amazon has f'ed something up and you're getting this. I haven't had it happen to me yet but I'm still investigating.

Uh, what does Amazon got to do with this? o_O
And, if this is my case, all I can do is wait? D:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoeJeko (Post 1591203)
Two, check your c:windowssystem32driversetchosts file. You should have no entries for ggFTW in there. If you do, then either you entered it way back when we moved servers and DNS didn't switch over OR you've been hostjacked.

I'll be watching to see if anyone else reports this issue but the file you mentioned is NOT on our server -- anywhere. I get a 404 (as I should) from any place I try to access it.

I found that "hosts" file in the folder, but how do I check it?

Thanks for the quick reply btw.

NoeJeko 08-22-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BliztForever (Post 1591206)
Uh, what does Amazon got to do with this? o_O
And, if this is my case, all I can do is wait? D:

Amazon hosts ggFTW.com now through its AWS EC2 environment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BliztForever (Post 1591206)
I found that "hosts" file in the folder, but how do I check it?

Thanks for the quick reply btw.

Just open it in Notepad. You'll have to launch Notepad with admin permissions to re-save it, but you can view it through a standard Notepad.

I've also tested this with multiple accounts of mine through multiple connections -- can't recreate it. It could also be your ISP.

Blizt 08-22-2011 07:15 PM

Ok, I opened it with notepad, but I don't think there's any entry for ggftw there...

Here's the content:

Quote:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost
What a nightmare...I guess I'll try testing on my brother's laptop when he gets back, or hopefully by then everything's back to normal again >_>

NoeJeko 08-22-2011 07:19 PM

That's what its supposed to look like.

The other thing I can suggest is clearing your browser cache and clearing your dns cache. Todo the latter, enter this command from a prompt (Start->Run) or <WinKey+R> then cmd

ipconfig /flushdns

Blizt 08-22-2011 07:50 PM

Well, successfully did both, but still no luck T-T

Tried my parents' computer too, the same thing, guess it could really be my ISP...

*sigh* I guess I will check it again sometimes later, then see if I need to call them Orz

Blizt 08-22-2011 09:31 PM

Ok...this is seriously screwed up...>_>

Tested with my bro's computer, and it's working perfectly??
(ran downstairs to test with joy)
...NOT WORKING *SOB*

Wth...if problem lies with our ISP, I thought every computer under out roof would have the same problem, but now this? D:

NoeJeko 08-22-2011 10:57 PM

That means it's most likely something with your machine specifically if that's the case. I'd recommend doing a virus/malware scan. Also, if you see Miyuki around she's pretty good at helping people with things like this.

LiLMewmew 08-23-2011 01:36 AM

I also had the same problem. BliztForever helped me with proxy so I could enter this page o.o

Blizt 08-23-2011 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoeJeko (Post 1591320)
That means it's most likely something with your machine specifically if that's the case. I'd recommend doing a virus/malware scan. Also, if you see Miyuki around she's pretty good at helping people with things like this.

2nd victim here >w<|||

But ya anyway, I'll do a scan just in case...

NoeJeko 08-23-2011 08:43 AM

Without knowing more about your environments and what you were doing when the redirects happened its next to impossible for me to troubleshoot this...

Ayu 08-23-2011 09:21 AM

ggFTW should not give you any redirects, so as Neo said, it's most likely your computer. It's kind of hard to say specifically what it is, but we can try different things to help you.

The first thing you should do is a malware scan. Try Malwarebytes (freeware) here.

Do a full scan and restart your computer before trying again.

Remember: Not all malware programs detect the same viruses, so you might have to try different ones.

Spybot Search & Destroy
SuperAntispyware

You could also try to clean up your registry. It's pretty much the brain of the computer and it needs regular maintenance.

Free registry cleaner (CNET download).

Blizt 08-24-2011 02:43 PM

Thanks for the help, I did scan my computer with all those, but no files turned up to be infected...and after awhile, mew told me that it's working again, for no reason at all o.o

NoeJeko 08-24-2011 03:44 PM

I just went back through some post records. You and Mew share the same ISP leading me to believe it was something at the ISP level. Caching differences could explain why it worked on your brother's computer and not yours.

We have a really kickass new log monitoring tool. I did a bit of forensic analysis and found nothing amiss, so unless this becomes a widespread issue (outside of both your ISPs) we'll chalk it up to ISP flukes and call it closed.

Role 08-24-2011 03:57 PM

Seim also had the problem and it seems like it works for him as well.

NoeJeko 08-24-2011 04:06 PM

Seim is on the same ISP as Blizt and Mew -- further proving my ISP hypothesis.