ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Sieg Guides (http://ggftw.com/forum/sieg-guides/)
-   -   Guide: Whirling Sword cancel (http://ggftw.com/forum/sieg-guides/20101-guide-whirling-sword-cancel.html)

Deity 05-29-2008 07:20 PM

Guide: Whirling Sword cancel

K this is a miniature guide to provide the Siegs out there tips on how to successfully cancel Whirling Sword. This is how I learned how to cancel the skill myself.

This guide assumes that you possess a decent knowledge about Sieg, and that you know how to shift (changing the direction of a combo while keeping the opponent in midair), as well as side step (dash A + S or dash A + space).

Overview
[I.] What's Whirling Sword?
[II.] How2Cancel
[III.] The Catch
[IV.] The Catch v.2
[V.] Final Conclusion

[I.] What's Whirling Sword?

One of Sieg's Sword skills, which possesses a Wind Attribute. He throws his sword towards the opponent and flies back to him, acting like a boomerang. The skill does very nice damage, fast cooldown, has excellent range (close to mid), low mp consumption, and has fast cast time. Overall, it's a great skill worth maxing.

minimum level requirement: 25
maximum skill level: 9/9
cast time: 0.31 (faster than cross cut, and just the same as kicking)
cool down: 30 seconds

[II.] How2Cancel:

Upon using Whirling Sword, immediately dash A + S after the third hit. The direction you side step depends on the direction you're facing (obviously).

examples of A + S side step:

Facing 8, press (66 A + S)
Facing 4, press (88 A + S)
Facing 1, press (77 A + S)
.............................side step

Tip: I recommend sniping with Whirling Sword when your opponent is a little to your right, because an A + S side step will cause you to move a little to the right. By doing so, you are aligning yourself with your opponent so you can do easy follow-ups.

Note: You can also side step using A + space, but I find that cancelling using A + S is easier. It's up to you which side step you're used to doing, so it's all a matter of preference.

examples of A + space side step:

Facing 8, press (44 A + space)
Facing 4, press (22 A + space)
Facing 1, press (33 A + space)
................................side step

Note: A + space side step is used in cases where your opponent is more towards your left. You can align yourself properly because you slightly move to the left with a dash A + space side step.

Tip: I recommend spamming the heck out of Whirling Sword (yes this may seem newbie). This will practice your timing on when to cancel the skill. Cancelling it too early makes it only hit two times, which does not provide you enough air time, and cancelling too late will cause the opponent to drop instantly.

[III.] The Catch:

We'll start at the basics. Once you've got the hang of cancelling Whirling Sword, it's time for you to start attempting to catch the opponent.

After cancelling the skill, immediately press AA in hopes of hitting your opponent. If you succeed, follow it up with a dash A. You must be precise, and don't panic!

example (facing 8):

(AAS) (Whirling Sword) (66 A + S) (AA dash A) (Cross Cut)
_starter____Whirling Sword_____side step______catch______skill follow-up

It's possible to catch the opponent with AA dash A, however, there's a better method of catching the opponent. Starting with a simple AA is the way to go, and the more you get used to this, the more confidence you'll have in attempting the next (appropriate) way of catching the opponent after cancelling the skill.

Tip: You might want to get used to AA dash A before you attempt this. It's a great string if you're desparate for more height, followed by a skill, which is why it is used here.

Note: In general, using dash A + skill has almost no delay, which is why it's inserted in between strings to provide more air time.

[IV.] The Catch v.2:

It's as simple as a dash A! The appropriate way of catching the opponent after cancelling Whirling Sword, is following it up with a dash A.

example facing 4:

(AA dash AS) (Whirling Sword) (88 A + S) (11 A) (triple kick + S) ...
__pvp starter_________skill_____________side step__dash A__skill follow-up

There are other alternatives for a follow-up skill, but Triple Kick is a common skill used, because it provides a lot of air time. As you've noticed, the dash A is going towards the bottom left (keypad # 1), which aligns you towards your opponent.

Tip: If you're not comfortable cancelling diagonally, simply shift into a horizontal or vertical direction, and reset with Sky Slashing (optional) before using Whirling Sword. However, I would highly recommend getting used to cancelling in all directions so you're more flexible as Sky Slashing may not be always available for you to use.

Note: You'll find it much easier to cancel and catch with dash A + S when there's a wall on your right, and dash A + space when there's a wall on your left, as the wall prevents you from slightly moving in terms of position.

[V.] Final conclusion:

If you practice enough, you'll learn how to cancel and catch it with AA dash A within a week, and catch it with a dash A within two weeks (three weeks MAX). It's relatively easy to cancel, once you get the concept, and I recommend practicing in PvP rather than practice field (either way works fine).

Credits go to SwiftBlade, he taught me how to Whirl-Cancel, and provided tips for me as i went along the process. ~.~

~Open for suggestions, and criticism.

Hypocrisy 05-29-2008 07:57 PM

Hmm very in depth, I like it *goes to PF and starts practicing*

d4rka2n 05-29-2008 08:02 PM

its sorta ez if u start off doing the diagonals... i mastered it by doing diagonals .___. but i suk so bad at vertical and horizontal but FF is a different story since i can cancel it at verticals and horizontal and suk so bad at diagonals. weird me isnt it xD ( btw its much ezier to do dash a kick instead of a a dash a kick since a a causes some ppl to panic sometimes like OMG I DID IT boom failed - -)

Hypocrisy 05-29-2008 08:18 PM

Here's the problem I'm having when trying to cancel it
I do: AAS (whirling) (rapidly hitting dash and A+S) it wont cancel.
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

And if you want to help even more, I'm currently at Practice Field; room name: 9900

d4rka2n 05-29-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypocrisy (Post 288716)
Here's the problem I'm having when trying to cancel it
I do: AAS (whirling) (rapidly hitting dash and A+S) it wont cancel.
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

And if you want to help even more, I'm currently at Practice Field; room name: 9900

yea heres the thing ur doing wrong ( RUSHING LIKE HELL DOESNT HELP AT ALL ) first take ur time doin it then go faster n faster n til u master it. enuf said?

Aeries 05-29-2008 08:22 PM

You have to cancel it at the right time.

Hypocrisy 05-29-2008 08:26 PM

whens the right time?

xvelocityx 05-29-2008 08:27 PM

Try dash a+s on the third hit.

d4rka2n 05-29-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeries (Post 288728)
You have to cancel it at the right time.

depends on timing AND the way u do it - - rushing dash a + s doesnt rly matter but u just wont side step ;] and ALSO important note is that u needa kick in dash a ( wait for like .2 to .5 secs b4 tapping s ) that also works too ;D

OneHell2Heaven 05-29-2008 08:54 PM

There is timing involved, like if you try side step too early then nothing will happen, but if your too late then the guy will have already dropped. You also have to time the dash A after the side step because its too early, then you win hit the guy, but if your too late, then the guy will have already dropped.

Deity 05-30-2008 04:31 AM

Sorry 'bout that Dylan. I've edited the original post on when to cancel it. Side step after the third hit of Whirling Sword, but before the sword comes flying back to him.

Gladiat 05-30-2008 06:36 AM

>_> no wonder y i kept screwing up half the time. i canceled it at 2nd hit >_> im going to kill my friend >_>

megascope 05-30-2008 06:57 PM

hmmm? i better get practicing

..................sera

d4rka2n 05-30-2008 07:10 PM

btw dont try to rush it or put al ur force into ur keyboard, that wont help, u need patience and time to practice and get it right - - ( i didnt practice and all i did was practice dash a + s .__. ) practice dash a + s more often and do it more, once ur familiar with it, its ezier to cancel whirling same with FF, after the 3rd bullet/shot, wait for like .2 to .5 secs and then cancel and boom :]

Syrion 05-31-2008 11:51 PM

hmm idk what every1 is talking about, i cancel right after i cast whirling sword, no pausing involved.
On a side note, its also possible to cancel whirling into dash A space (windmill) for purposes of positioning. If ur opponent is a bit to the left rather than right, ur better off with dash A space

Lunar 05-31-2008 11:55 PM

u can input the dash cancel right after whrirling but it wont dash until after the full throw
so if u input the commands too early.. it'll dash a

Deity 06-01-2008 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrion (Post 290881)
hmm idk what every1 is talking about, i cancel right after i cast whirling sword, no pausing involved.
On a side note, its also possible to cancel whirling into dash A space (windmill) for purposes of positioning. If ur opponent is a bit to the left rather than right, ur better off with dash A space

I have already included the underlined statement in the guide, but I'll add the bolded parts to elaborate more on what dash A + space is used for. Thanks.

Gladiat 06-01-2008 07:35 AM

try dashing at that tiny gap between the 2nd and 3rd throw. that's how i do it, and i can reach the opponent in time, but i do >>A in the wrong direction >_>

d4rka2n 06-01-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gladiat910 (Post 291004)
try dashing at that tiny gap between the 2nd and 3rd throw. that's how i do it, and i can reach the opponent in time, but i do >>A in the wrong direction >_>

u needa face him and dash a + kick after side step, it'll take some time to do it though but still ur geting closer and warmer :3

darkdestiny 06-02-2008 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrion (Post 290881)

It doesn't really matter. You can go angle dash A after sidestepping with dash AS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gladiat910 (Post 289301)
>_> no wonder y i kept screwing up half the time. i canceled it at 2nd hit >_> im going to kill my friend >_>

I cancel at second hit.. or maybe a bit after the second hit >__>.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfDeity (Post 289212)
Sorry 'bout that Dylan. I've edited the original post on when to cancel it. Side step after the third hit of Whirling Sword, but before the sword comes flying back to him.

I do think the third hit is late. You lose more airtime but I think it's more secure to do it after the third hit.