ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online > SDGO MS Discussions

Iris Online
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Iris Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
02-13-2011   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict

Vandol is a jewel in the roughVandol is a jewel in the roughVandol is a jewel in the roughVandol is a jewel in the rough
Default [MSoTW] [14/02 - 20/02] - Patrick Colasour's GN-X

Today's MSOTW column will be a touch different. I'd like to give some attention to a quirky little suit, that I've found to be a delight to play, that's also woefully neglected by many players. It's none other than the immortal colasour's custom GN-X. Woefully however, this GN-X doesn't live up to his pilot's reputation in terms of cockroach.

First off, Patrick's stats via olgame.

Atk:19.8
Def: 12.3
Agi: 15.6
Spd: 19.2
SP: 15.3
HP: 12.3

I imagine most people will scope to the def values and double take. 12.3 def on a scissors? That's pretty terrible, especially by BS rank standards. Patrick isnt' winning any award, and by all standards has a pretty glass jaw. But let's not let that define what he is, instead let's look at the attack figure.

You taking it all in? Yes a whopping 19.8 attack, for the record no other B rank comes close. Aside from Patrick, they all clock out at 16.8 attack at their highest. For added insult to injury, no A rank even comes near to toppling that, aside from Palace Athene which topples it by 1.5 points of attack. However, this is a trivial victory, because Patrick gains .9 attack per point of oc, and has a slot over Mr.Athene.

This is pretty vital, because thanks to all this, Patrick can max his attack at 29.7 with just 2 OC points to spare. That means, for all you speed freaks, that a 2 base speed, rest attack build would effectively make rocks jealous for a change.

Anyways, stats are fairly meaningless without skills and weapons, so let's move on to what Netmarble decided to give our loveable roach.

For the sake of convenience, we'll start with Pat's skills.

Skill 1: Agility Up

Not going to lie that I carry some disdain for this skill. For some odd reason, it feels as though Netmarble nerfs base suit reaction in order to make it seem as though it's not a waste of a slot. Regardless, it works rather well on Patrick, and if you've used BS Amatu, it carries a similar feel. Patrick's beam rifle is fairly slow, however in agility up it becomes quick and very spammy. Patrick's melee doesn't seem to gain a substantial benefit from it, like rocks do however. The cancel improves slightly, though Patrick's melee cancel is very swift anyhow, so I doubt many will note a difference.

Skill 2: Immortal Colasour

With def and hp values like they are, you'd think this skill would be a joke. However it's quite the opposite, for many people this will be the only reason they use Patrick. This is because of 3 reasons.

1- It gives def up, reducing the sting of the low def values. The def amount is significant enough to allow Patrick to endure a few more shots, and thus have more carrying power. This becomes an even bigger boon in light of 2.

2- It gains red boost, enabling Patrick to fight on even terms with rocks. Combined with it's high base boosting speed, wonderful reaction, and high boost regen. You'll find yourself able to use the extra def to it's fullest, shrugging stray shots, all the while spamming your beam rifle at obnoxious papers.

3- It gives no suit effect. This is probably one of the best reasons to use Patrick. Before you think I'm crazy, this is for one major reason. Whenever you play stock, do you ever notice the guy with the glowing red effect around him? You find yourself drawn to him, trying to shoot him down, because you know it's doing something positive. In the case of special up, it's usually steering clear, and kiting him. Patrick has no such drawback, because there is no aura, most people won't realize it's up. This in turn brings attention off of you, a huge boon to a fragile suit.

Melee Special

Between me and you, I hate melee specs on scissors. The MOMENT you spec cancel someone, you swap to your gun. Any decent rock will just turn slash you and one combo you. Gripe aside, given how much you will be infighting in this, it's actually not too terrible, like I said however. Don't spec counter if you can avoid it. Try to read and boost off to the side, unless you know you can beat the person in a contest of reaction.

Weapon 1: GN Beam Saber

Not much to say, good quick cancels with agi up, average range. The big bonus with this however is the 5 hit melee, something papers don't enjoy all that much for obvious reason. Needless to say this is a pretty critical tool for Patrick, so if you ever want to use this suit I advise you to take up the way of the sword for a bit and become comfortable with close quarters combat.

Weapon 2: GN Beam Rifle

Thanks to the high base damage of GN-X, the beam rifle is actually pretty fearsome. Another nice bonus is with agi up active, there is almost no firing animation. You will however, find yourself running dangerously low on ammo if you decide to spend a majority of a match ranging. That said, it's a great beam rifle, and you won't find much of a shortcoming in any facet of it.

Weapon 3: Melee combo

Probably the most fearsome part of Colasour's arsenal. Capable of leading into a one combo for a good majority of papers, and lengthy / large enough to trap rocks. It's perhaps one of the best utility moves for a scissors.

My biggest piece of advice for this, is to use it for mind games. If you manage to nick a paper attempting to leap from you, than the odds are good that they wont' attempt it again. Likewise, doing it to rocks usually ensures they wont' attempt to pursue you into the air next time you fight giving you more of an advantage against them. Just keep in mind that you should always have an escape route planned. Because once someone sees you using that, they know you'll be at a significant disadvantage up close.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overcustoming and general suit advice:

3(2) base speed / 9 attack (+1 base attack) -

A pretty common oc. You get the benefits of an incredibly fast scissors in Immortal Cola, along with a high damage potential. The major issue however lies in how fragile you are, and the fact that B rank boost regen still lies on the iffy side. Many Koreans alleviate this via OC Ex boost regeneration, a route I also took. Although I no longer have an OC Ex GN-X, off hand it was about a .6 second regeneration advantage over B rank red boost which translates into a very large advantage. OC Ex attack up or defense up would also work well.

3 base hp / 9 base def -

The other common build. Because Patrick's base mobility is already high, the hp / defense help to stretch Immortal Colasour's durability to the limit. Generally this isn't a bad route to take, if you have trouble against rocks at close quarters. If you're feeling comfortable, I'd suggest moving some defense to attack at your leisure. Admittingly, this is probably the best route to take with Patrick initially, until you get used to his quirks and where it's safe to play him aggressively.

I can't recommend the remaining stats for the following reasons:

Agility - Rendered obsolete by Agi Up.
Special - Dubious worth on melee specials.

Advice:

- Patrick, while he does have 5 hit melee, is also incredibly fragile. Take note of what rocks have what abilities, and slowly encroach on the papers. Avoid using it on them impulsively if they approach, instead using it to bait them. Most rocks early game, will rely on melee, unless they have a outrageously good ranged set up like Blue Destiny 02.

- The spin can be used to keep aloft against rushing rocks if you don't feel comfortable attempting to beat them. They wont' be willing to pursue you due to fear of getting winged, and at the same time you can look for an escape route.

- While you should avoid using your special if whenever possible, Patrick's high damage and 3 lives, generally means it's easy to go on a rampage and accumulate your special meter back quickly. Just be sure that whatever you spec deserves it, or needs to be taken out of action to give your team a breath of air.

Finally, I was in a rush to get this written up, so I was only able to record just one video. I no longer have a GN-X, so it was done in an expert server no-oc room on a close friends' account. Hopefully this gives a good idea of Patrick in action.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
02-13-2011   #2 (permalink)
Raven
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterKingdom of Loathing

StrykerX will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to StrykerX
IGN: StrykyX
Class: Raven lt_blader
Level: Derp
Guild: En Garde

patrick doesnt really make me cower in fear and stuff, i just hunt patrick during matches lol...probably cuz im such a feg and spams rocks and stuff. but yea its a great suit with absurdly high attack and decent survivability after colasour activates.

02-14-2011   #3 (permalink)
Retired
Special
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterTrickster OnlineLa TaleGunbound
Awards Retired Forum Moderator

zgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to zgmfx19a
IGN: Nek0 / Nek0Yasha(RIP)
Class: Zooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerX
patrick doesnt really make me cower in fear and stuff, i just hunt patrick during matches lol...probably cuz im such a feg and spams rocks and stuff. but yea its a great suit with absurdly high attack and decent survivability after colasour activates.
Patrick's main role imo is still to act as a pseudo-rock option when you are facing a room full of scissors and more importantly, papers.

With 3C HP and 3OC def, it feels sturdy enough to have a defense that is on par with your general papers and scis. With skill 2 kicking in, it last surprisingly long considering its base HP and Def. Planning to go spd/atk for a more well balanced build, with some focus on offense.

I enjoyed the article.

Last edited by zgmfx19a; 02-14-2011 at 05:24 AM.

02-14-2011   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Cosmic BreakFantasy Earth ZeroGunboundMapleStory

Crimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: Meltyred
Class: Wandering

Cockroach huh.....
Well this GNX is actually worth the trouble for and is pretty good for a psuedo rock.
Nice article.
I also want non OC rooms....

02-14-2011   #5 (permalink)
銀河美少年
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterS4 LeagueFreeJackCabal Online

Kenshiro is a jewel in the roughKenshiro is a jewel in the roughKenshiro is a jewel in the roughKenshiro is a jewel in the rough
IGN: BusterX
Class: Brawler to_fighter
Level: ♦♦♦
Guild: Seven Swords 七劍(HK)/Synergy(TW)

A very good guide. Downloading the video too.

00 Raiser, 00 7S/G, V2AB, Infinite Justice, HWS v, Master Fuunsaiki, God Fuunsaiki, SR Sazabi, Crossbone X1 Kai, X2 Kai, Harute (Final Mission Type) Stargazer, Crossbone X3, Sazabi

Upcoming projects: Arios Ascalon (100% Complete!), Crossbone X1 Skullheart (100% Complete!)

HIATUS AGAIN!
Playing PSO2
IGN - ホモゲーバスター
Ship 1 - Feoh

02-14-2011   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games
Grand ChaseGunboundLa TaleMapleStory

holhemhiem has a spectacular aura aboutholhemhiem has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to holhemhiem
IGN: Micheru, Mixhe
Class: Treasure Hunter - Dagger lt_treasurehunter
Level: 8x
Guild: MMOG

Really good review. Makes me want to grind it again ._.

That GNX on vid looks like a black unicorn xD

02-14-2011   #7 (permalink)
Gluttony Fang
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRagnarok OnlinePerfect WorldPhantasy Star Online 2

Kisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud of
IGN: Excellence
Class: Platinum Lucifer lu_sieg
Level: Ace in Exile
Guild: Harkonen

Flip the GNX colors in ur vid, and you get Deadpool custom.

I constantly thought of CHIMICHANGAS

| Adventus |

02-14-2011   #8 (permalink)
Raven
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisaragi

HELL YEAH!!

02-14-2011   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule Fighter

L0RAN is on a distinguished road

That GNX totally scares me after one of my friend pwned me
with it... and he didn't even use the beam rifle...
it was partly coz he can pwn me with pretty much any suit but
losing against it with a rock type just... hurts orz

But yeah, 3hit+combo could damage my veteran level blue destiny unit 2 about 75% I screamed... gosh

02-14-2011   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Cosmic BreakFantasy Earth ZeroGunboundMapleStory

Crimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: Meltyred
Class: Wandering

That must mean you're playing BD2 wrong
BD2 is more hax than that suit without skills

02-14-2011   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule Fighter

L0RAN is on a distinguished road

I stated that it was "veteran" I did not have the ace skill, "Exam", but yeah, I do suck at it for playing it about 5 years but still, my friend is what many Korean users call, a frggin' monster!

02-15-2011   #12 (permalink)
Raven
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisaragi

off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0RAN
I stated that it was "veteran" I did not have the ace skill, "Exam", but yeah, I do suck at it for playing it about 5 years but still, my friend is what many Korean users call, a frggin' monster!
oh and there's no way bd2 gets trumped by gn-x... its just simply too hax, if you cant melee, spam beams and missiles

02-15-2011   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict

Vandol is a jewel in the roughVandol is a jewel in the roughVandol is a jewel in the roughVandol is a jewel in the rough

If the GN-X can somehow make it into close range and spin BD02, or if the map had a ton of cover. I could see it somehow eeking out a win, but in this case I just think it's the skill more than the suit, which makes it so fearsome to you L0ran.