ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   SDGO MS Discussions (http://ggftw.com/forum/sdgo-ms-discussions/)
-   -   [MSotW][29/11 - 5/12] Sword Calamity (http://ggftw.com/forum/sdgo-ms-discussions/86927-msotw-29-11-5-12-sword-calamity.html)

Kisaragi 11-28-2010 08:23 PM

[MSotW][29/11 - 5/12] Sword Calamity
 
Here's the inaugural launch of the MS of the week! First up is the Sword Impulse... wait, I read that Chinese letters wrong, I meant Sword Calamity!


[Weapons]
Weapon 1: "Schwert Gewehr" Anti-Ship Sword
Standard 5 hit melee, extremely large hit range and can easily hit targets from above

Weapon 2: "Midas Messer" Beam Bomerang
The "standard" weapon for the Sword- series, however, Sword Calamity throws two of them in one shot. There are 3 shots total. Inflicts the ever-useless level 1 slow ailment.

Weapon 3: "Panzer Eisen" Rocket Anchor
A 3-hit combo attack, much like Sword Strike's. Inflicts Boost Down on the unlucky foe.

[Skills]
Phase-shift Armour: Reduces damage of ballistic-type weapons.
High-performance OS (A): Increases agility and search distance, and decreases reload time.

[Synergy]
Phase-shift armour is not terribly useful against most things today, but I guess it will do for a defense skill especially with the likes of pesky homing missiles and machineguns.

High-performance OS is its glory-skill. Higher agility means faster "walking" and faster swings. Not like faster swings will help much, since its already extremely fast in the first place. Search distance is helpful for auto-lockers to find their enemies. And reduction in reload time means more usage of W3.

[Stat]
- There are two builds for this stat. The more common amongst Sword Calamity player is to maximize its speed and add on agility to it. After that, one can add more attack to it, making it a Speed+Agi+Atk build.

- The second build, though less effective is HP+Defense. This allows it to tank more damage, but in my opinion, these additions on Sword Calamity does not show that much change in its defensive capabilities.

[Strategies]
In my humble opinion, I prefer the Speed+Agi+Atk build. This is due to its nature to run into enemies, kill (or damage significantly) and run. Sword Calamity is not meant to be a damage sponge, as it has much too little health to do so.

Sword Calamity thrives on near-flawless play, and requires the knowledge of using melee techniques of animation cancelling. Since it absolutely cannot take a hit, it needs to kill as fast as possible and run as quickly as possible. Users of Sword Calamity must be aggressive to actually do anything, but careful enough to not take too many hits. One mistake in the midst of a melee skirmish with another rock such as Sword Strike or Nataku, and death is inevitable.

Usual melee strings come into play with Sword Calamity, including 1-3-1-1-1-1, 1-1-1-1-3-1, 3-1-1-1-1-1. Ending strikes could be replace with w2, as to not knockdown for other teammates to scavenge. However, as with other rocks, it is important to be not too greedy with damage and it is not neccessary to continue combo until it is over. If under pressure, by all means run away.

[Personal Opinions]
I really like Sword Calamity. Although it cannot take as much damage as Sword Strike, it still does its job well. Its melee is incredibly smooth, and hits wide and tall. However, I personally don't like that its boomerangs are launched from the middle.

When compared to other swords, they throw their boomerangs with their right hand. Sword Calamity throws two with both it hands dead center, making it harder to just hide and throw. Its just a little nitpicking though, it doesn't change the fact that Sword Calamity is a beast when used correctly.

Sword Calamity is most similiar to Sword Strike in the sword-series, with the w3 being an almost exact copy. It trades defense that sword strike has with speed and attack, making Sword Calamity a more offensive machine. There's only one thing that suits Sword Calamity's powers, and that's the blitzkrieg strategy.

[Videos]
Here's two vids to illustrate the powers of Sword Calamity. One from TW by Cybuster, and one from KR by 月夜牙



Share your thoughts on Sword Calamity and your playstyle! Traesto!

Vandol 11-28-2010 08:42 PM

Good read, Iunno if the slow comment was sarcastic or not however. Even level 1 slow is enough to cause players to panic and break rank, trying to slip into a back flank. So it works great as a method to catch players, and a method to scare players into doing what you need them to do.

Combo wise, I disagree slightly. Each hit cancels with SS to the point where there's no after animation lag, therefore a player can slink in boomerangs after the second hit, and still catch in melee stun animation. Even if you screw up, most scissors / papers panic and try to boost straight up, combined with the slow aliment, this fails and you can quickly and efficiently rip them apart in air.

For stock, a more efficient combo is 2 -> mca -> 2 mca -> boost down, stopping on the second stage, and then simply pulling off and spamming boomerangs into the back side. This is a heavily abridged version of what Alphaedge on KR does, and it works for a great quick kill, especially with how fast SC's 2 hit mca combo works. In fact, with how efficient SC's boost down is, I'd recommend it as the last hit in any of SC's combos.

This is for 2 fold-
1- It disables an enemy's movements, and essentially locks his position preventing him from being a threat for a few seconds.
2- You'll often have allies who are hungering for glory and will quickly put the disabled enemy out of his misery. Especially important because SC's range game isn't too incredible.

It's worthy of noting that once you hit a higher point of skill and ability, you can stop early on the second hit and pull off in a straight boost. For the average player, stopping your melee on the second hit will give you enough time to avoid a spec in retaliation. This is namely due to most players attempting to spec right when the first melee hit connects. The lag prevents the spec from going off instantaneously, and instead goes off a little after your second melee swing connects. Once they're in a spec tracking animation, just boost behind them and nudge their backside. However, because of lag involved in SDGO, always do at least one melee hit before attempting a boost down so you have stun frames holding the suit from flying away.

I've also found that Sword Calamity has the best subshot for swatting people down in midair, and that once you get comfortable with it, are able to boost down rushing rocks out of midair for easy kills.

So yea, good sword rock in my opinion, and easily one of the most versatile A ranks in the game, provided there are no suits with the no flinch property. Doubly so for you lucky TW players who can get 3 slotted Sword Calamity Gundams.

Seim 11-28-2010 09:17 PM

Actually, I feel that the lvl 1 slow does little to nothing. There might be a slow in there but it doesn't affect the target to the point where its easily noticeable or noticeable at all.

However, combo wise, I am with Vandol.
You could probably pull off boomerangs in between hits if you turn slash. Especially against scissors and papers. Also, boomerangs do not always need to go last. With boostdown, the combos become infinite as u can actually make 4 hits into 9 if you are confident and balls-to-the-walls enough to do it.
I remember one combo-ing S ranks with 1-1-1-1-3-2-2-pause-1-1-1-1-1
Of course that's not the only combo u can pull off but the easiest one to get 9 hits in.

Though regularly, I find that the second swing is the nicest to MCA with and is very forgiving if u swung twice for SS instead of once in a rock chase.

Also, the obvious, the swing range is way too big that a random noob that has twitches in his right hand could still probably rape decently.

I have to add that the speed on him is pretty awesome too despite the low hp. Playing ninja/trap card style with him is pretty fun. Sorta like shining AS but with uber swing range ._.

Vandol 11-28-2010 09:28 PM

That's true about the slow, it's not as powerful as, Sandrock Custom EW, or some of the more recent slow suits like rock realdo. However, let me explain why I defend it on Sword suits real quick.

- Sword suits are stupidly fast as it is.
- Slow, even a minor slow, does cause a noticeable droop in boost speed.
- Even if the slow effect doesn't last for long, with how fast Sword Calamity moves, the second or two it lasts for, is more then enough to set onto a fleeing opponent and finish him off.

Anyhow...
My only problem with trying to do a 9 hit combo, by kiting with the boost down, is that it only works if the team is terrible. Sword Calamity doesn't fare too well 2 on 1, and it takes long enough for the hit counter to reset, for enemy support to arrive. I would rather boost down, chuck my boomerangs into them, and find another target. Though against terrible players / bad teams, it's worth doing just to anger people.

And yes, I agree. Second hit ss is ridiculous. There's no after delay, and the swings come out incredibly quick. Most new rock players can excel just because of that fact. If it comes into a SS contest with Sword Calamity, you're just going to get lubed up and violated.

Crimsonred 11-28-2010 09:43 PM

Real good.Also, the level 1 slow may indeed make a difference but with lag in SDGO, it really isn't that great, unlike SRC's hyper slow with really is noticable.
And also the weapon 3 boostdown has a really wide swing that can help in 2on1 situations, giving you a chance to escape as well for your team to deal some damage on them cause of the wide swing, you can actually turn left and right to create something like a arc, which inflicts boostdown and throw boomers to secure your escape( not really talking about if opponents KD you with 1 hit).
But seriously, that speed is just too awesome it hurts. If it chases you, you'll really be in trouble if your teammates or too busy or don't help you, which makes sword calamity one of the best A ranks in the game ( currently, unless they make and even more crazy suit)
Another point to make note of is that Sword calamity's 1st to 3rd hit( not sure bout 4th) are swung left to right, so you can catch multiple enemies as shown early in first vid where the player hits two enemies at once to stun both and escape a 2 on 1 situation which would kill him.

zgmfx19a 11-28-2010 09:53 PM

I personally don't really feel the effects of stage 1 slow when it is used against me, or when I am using it on opponent. The effect of it is so small it is not that noticeable. I remember using Nobel and tossing it on the opponent, but still can't catch up to them. But I guess Vandol is right in that for Sword Calamity's case, it's effect is multiplied by the fact that Sword Calamity has a naturally high speed.

Even though I don't have the luck to own 1 yet, I've tried it out on Shift's account, and good lord it's swings and cancels are legendary, even for a rock noob like me. Cancels easily either on the first swing or the second swing. It's huge swing arcs and the axes it covers make air catching really easy.

What I dislike about most Sword Cala players is that they finish connecting the W3 blow and KD the opponent, making the boost down less effective imo. The same can be said for most Sword Strike/Epyon/Nataku players. It would be a lot better for the team if the opponent is kept boosted down so that we can shoot and kill fast to remove them from the field.

Kenshiro 11-28-2010 10:11 PM

I recently got myself a Sword Calamity too by accident and back then I only played SC on Vartio's account. I personally find it better than Sword Strike, although a friend of mine still prefers his Sword Strike. Mind you that I only started playing rock (not gimmick rocks like V2A) a month ago(?) after seeing Hexi's Rock tutorial. Maybe its just my bad boost management, but I often find myself running out of boost with Sword Calamity.

Also, I do not KD when I hit with W3 although sometimes I do KD by accident because I'm not so good yet. My nib combo is 2-111-half 3-1-22 (from the back). The Calamity's OS A is a good tradeoff for the lack of Seed Awakening which gives Sword Strike longer boost at 30% HP. The boost down allows me to flee a fellow rock and leave it for my team to gun down.

One more thing that I noticed with Sword Calamity is that you can hit the opponents while standing over their head, which is impossible for some melee weapons. I find it a good ambush attack and some suits (and players) cannot react to that properly. I still haven't customized my Sword Calamity yet, but I originally planned to go C Agi/OC Attack. Maybe a few pixels with speed too, but I haven't leveled anything since my long grind with V2A.

EDIT: I haven't completed a full combo at all. I often flee when the enemy is at 70% HP and leave the rest for my team. I don't know what to do next after landing the first shots. :heh:

Crimsonred 11-28-2010 10:17 PM

Huh, wasn't it hexi's tutorial or am I missing out on something...
And after watching hexi's old SS vid i started that boostdown no KD wep2 combo which usually killed most suits if i scored 2 critical hits on wep2 useful, but due to my bad boost management will eat up all of my boost. ( I fail...)

Kenshiro 11-28-2010 10:18 PM

Yeah, I edited. (was up all night doing a thesis, sorry).

Uncharted 11-29-2010 06:32 AM

nice one, nice one

personal opinions
-king of melee (fast hits, high damage, speed is insane, boost down)
-skillset, despite not looking great, Ps really do helps with all those HAC fooling around
-when oced to atk, it can 1 c0mbo KO most oponents (correct me if wrong) or at least leave them on coma.
-it competes with S ranks

bad thing is u need to go foward (play aggresive) as said above, despite that its a totall badass reason y it was one the kings =D

ill also like to add a video, this is top KR player (or at least it enters the top in skills), enjoy the badassery


Retune 11-29-2010 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncharted (Post 1411628)
bad thing is u need to go foward (play aggresive) as said above, despite that its a totall badass reason y it was one the kings =D


Its not a bad thing to have to play aggressively. Playing aggressively is a necessary thing to do if you don't want games to become as boring as Kira's constant beam spam.

Sorry Kira fans, but I really dislike his beam spam.

Back on topic. Well written MSotW article, good level of detail, not too long winded. It would be nice if you could do your own gameplays of the suit, just for the fun of it..

-and so that people and spend their time comparing it to the "pros"- JAYKAY.

KirovReporting 11-30-2010 06:42 AM

i never was a fan of sword-suits; their lack of a decent ranged attack kinda disappointed me.

of course, people might say that the slow effect will help, but veterans know that against slashing suits, moving up rather than down is a more convenient way to evade BECAUSE rocks normally have a horizontal booster of 5 seconds, save for a few suits(few 4.5 and few 5.5), but the vertical booster is only half as long(2.5sec). sword-cal is no exception. it would have used more or less booster time on the way to slash you, giving it even less capacity to "chase" you up. and heaven knows that slow has little to no effect on jumping speed

call it a mere "theory" if you want, but that is how i run from those annoying melee units, especially masurao...and it does work

(ps, for scissors, vertical booster=horizontal booster and for papers, 2x horizontal booster=vertical booster, which is why veteran papers rather choose to run by jumping than dashing away)

fredyred95 11-30-2010 07:30 AM

That TW guy gameplay was good compare to KR guy, (and also that kr guy didnt do much MCA?)

(Offtopic : Pause at 3:19 to see some1 familiar on the TW clip)

Seim 11-30-2010 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KirovReporting (Post 1412500)
i never was a fan of sword-suits; their lack of a decent ranged attack kinda disappointed me.

of course, people might say that the slow effect will help, but veterans know that against slashing suits, moving up rather than down is a more convenient way to evade BECAUSE rocks normally have a horizontal booster of 5 seconds, save for a few suits(few 4.5 and few 5.5), but the vertical booster is only half as long(2.5sec). sword-cal is no exception. it would have used more or less booster time on the way to slash you, giving it even less capacity to "chase" you up. and heaven knows that slow has little to no effect on jumping speed

call it a mere "theory" if you want, but that is how i run from those annoying melee units, especially masurao...and it does work

(ps, for scissors, vertical booster=horizontal booster and for papers, 2x horizontal booster=vertical booster, which is why veteran papers rather choose to run by jumping than dashing away)

lol....lemme tell u this.
Simply going up isnt the way to dodge rocks...especially this one with such a stupidly big swing range.

Strikegundam 11-30-2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seim (Post 1412517)
lol....lemme tell u this.
Simply going up isnt the way to dodge rocks...especially this one with such a stupidly big swing range.

going up is useless especially when you are going against some melee pro..
air catch and you are dead..

Crimsonred 11-30-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredyred95 (Post 1412513)
That TW guy gameplay was good compare to KR guy, (and also that kr guy didnt do much MCA?)

(Offtopic : Pause at 3:19 to see some1 familiar on the TW clip)

lol Nukira....
MCA is prettty much not neccesary, unless the opponent is laggy...
MCA doesn't really need to be used unless you wanna get a critical

fredyred95 11-30-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimsonred (Post 1412539)
lol Nukira....
MCA is prettty much not neccesary, unless the opponent is laggy...
MCA doesn't really need to be used unless you wanna get a critical

U can use MCA to dodge melee spec too :py44:

Uncharted 11-30-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredyred95 (Post 1412573)
U can use MCA to dodge melee spec too :py44:

not needed if u can SP cancel with ur own and turnslash...

i wont discuss what gameplay is better, but i believe napier as the top god of SDGO

zgmfx19a 11-30-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncharted (Post 1412575)
i wont discuss what gameplay is better, but i believe napier as the top god of SDGO

Well, doesn't mean she is the best in everything though.

Crimsonred 11-30-2010 09:34 AM

Like how hexi is great with a rock and poor with a paper?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.