ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   SDGO MS Discussions (http://ggftw.com/forum/sdgo-ms-discussions/)
-   -   [MSoTW] [22/08~29/08] Union Flag (http://ggftw.com/forum/sdgo-ms-discussions/100879-msotw-22-08-29-08-union-flag.html)

Niveus 08-21-2011 11:39 AM

[MSoTW] [22/08~29/08] Union Flag

It's a little early, but I won't have network for a few days. It's my first shot at this, so here's hoping it's satisfactory.
Union Flag
http://www.gundam00fan.com/wp-conten...union-flag.jpg
HP - 9.3
Def - 10.8
SP - 12.3
Speed - 17.1
Attack - 12.3
Agi - 14.4

Weapon Setup
Weapon 1: Plasma Blade (4 hits to knock down, 800 dmg) – Decent reach and the animation on all of it’s pre-knockdown strikes are smooth, making for easy SS, and the swing has a fair amount of reach on the Z axis: It’s no SRC, but it is good to catch papers trying to jump out of your range.
Weapon 2: 120mm Linear Rifle (Twelve ammo, slight splash damage, medium reload, 1000 dmg) – The damage is average for a C-rank scissors and the shot counts as a ballistic but travels quickly. The weapon also has a slight splash radius, which makes it easier to land hits and damage opponents hiding just behind a corner.
Weapon 3: 20mm Machine Gun (12 ammo, 5-shot burst, fast reload, 100 x5 dmg) – By and large the game’s filler weapon, the Flag’s ‘vulcans’ are no exception. Terrible range, low damage, and only good for adding minor damage while w2 reloads.

Skills
Mobility Up – Agility +4.5, speed +2.4, and movement speed up 10%.
Reload Up – Decreases reload time by 50%.

Pros and Cons
Pros:
~ W2. Ballistic, good damage, good flight time, and enough of a splash radius to hit enemies behind thin cover or hiding just around the corner.
~ Surprisingly smooth melee. Despite being a scissors, this is a huge plus. The Union Flag’s melee is solid all around, making it a good option for rescuing allies and giving it a fair chance at standing toe to toe with a rock if push comes to shove.
~ Reload up. On a unit that relies on a ranged weapon for most of its damage, this skill is GOD.

Cons:
~ Very fragile; a single melee combo from most rocks will rip the suit to pieces.
~ Its boost. Like most C-rank scissors, the Union Flag’s boost is terrible. If you aren’t close to friendly units and a rock is on the chase, it’s gg.
~ W3. The only real purpose for this weapon is buying time for w2 to reload and being easier to use than w2 at close range due to the minute animation. The damage doesn’t come close to comparing to w2 even if all the shots hit, making this weapon complete filler.

Tactics
Option 1 – Snipe
The unit has a long enough range and fast enough travel time that you can ‘snipe’ an opponent to death. Like most weapons that are carried in a single hand, you don’t have to come completely out from behind cover to fire this weapon. This tactic provides survivability while still doing some damage, giving you more time to abuse w2.
Option 2 – Shadowing
This is my preferred tactic. Like most scissors, the Union Flag has good support fire and supplements damage well. This often requires the player to spend a little more time in the open being shot at, but it gets you closer to your team’s rocks and covering players while also allowing the team to cover you. It also allows for the Flag to play a ‘savior’ role, rescuing teammates from enemy rocks with its surprisingly good melee.

Build Suggestions
C/OC attack. This bumps a C4 Flag’s attack up to a solid 24.0 at OC6, and is the only worthwhile build imo; the higher the damage per shot, the less work your allies have to do to deal the finishing blow, and the overall damage outweighs any benefits from any other possible builds. Plus, since w1 is often used to save teammates, the added damage on the melee is also a plus.

Comparisons
Union Realdo –While the effects of Reload Up are better than Vaccine-V between these two units, the skill is still very good, and Attack up is much better than Mobility Up. The only downsides are that the Realdo only has ten shots instead of twelve with w2, and without reload up as a skill the Realdo suffers from not being able to fire as many shots in sequence as its successor. Other than that, w3 has a higher damage output and longer range than the vulcans, and causes slow. The Realdo also has a ranged special, which gives it a further advantage over the Flag. In the end, the Realdo is mildly better, but overall they still stand on the same level.
GM II (AEUG) – Something akin to the beam-wielding counterpart to the Union Flag, the GM II (AEUG)’s weapon set has the same base damage that the Union Flag’s do. The real difference lies in its skills: where the Flag has Mobility Up and Reload Up, GM instead has Infinite Ammo: w2 (C) and Attack up. While Infinite Ammo is a nice skill to have, by the time the skill is active, the suit is often doomed to be shot down before it gets to use it effectively. Attack up good skill to have, pushing the attack stat on GM II (AEUG) 1.5 points higher than the Flag’s once the skill kicks in with all points into attack on both units. On the other hand, the fact that the GM’s main damage dealer is a beam gives it a severe weakness to Laminate Armor and I-field.
GM Ground Type – This is a bit of an unfair comparison. With Defense Up giving it survivability and Communications Commander assisting the entire team, the skills alone make this suit more useful. The Machine Gun has decent damage, fast firing, and a crap ton of ammo on top of a fast reload. The Flag’s damage outmatches the machine gun per shot, but with the extra ammo on top of it, GM Ground Type gets about the same damage overall as the Flag. And then there’s the Missile Launcher. Three shots, medium reload, homing, and great damage; there is nothing not to like about this weapon. Unlike the Flag’s vulcans, the Missile Launcher is a very good third weapon, giving this suit just one more option to play with.

Gameplay Videos

Overview
The Union flag is a solid C-rank scissors that plays like almost every other C-rank scissors. It’s not outstanding in any way, but it isn’t lacking in any way either. Though not the best out there, it does well as a mook unit. I’d suggest it for anybody who has any nostalgic value for Graham Aker or the Flag Fighters.

Crimsonred 08-21-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niveus (Post 1590471)

Fixed for you.

Niveus 08-21-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimsonred (Post 1590473)
Fixed for you.

Thanks for that.

tehprognoob 08-21-2011 01:05 PM

lol, Union Flag.
Besides the railgun there's almost nothing of its weaponset for doing heavy damage. So fragile it's not even funny.
I disagree on the comparison between Realdo and Flag, though. V-Vac is far, far more useful than Reload Up for Flag. Any decent player should conserve ammo, but with V-Vac, if you get hit by, say, a stun rifle or get caught by an Aps I, you're okay. Especially stun, which means you're out in t he open, frozen for a second. For fragile little C ranks V-Vac is lovely beyond comparison. Okay, Reload is godly skill, too, but railgun loading is fine without it. It's not a gatling or flashlight; you're not going to spam it.

Retune 08-21-2011 08:29 PM

Hey hey, Union Flag. Used to be my main C rank scissor until I got bored of it :py25:

Well here's my two cents on Union Flag.

It's a decent little C rank. The linear rifle's splash makes it more noob-friendly for shooting. Melee can outdo B/C rocks at times, and those vulcans do enough damage to be used occasionally. Used mainly for support fire or kiting noobs.

But.

Jegan outdoes the Flag at everything it does. SERIOUSLY.

tehprognoob 08-21-2011 08:42 PM

But Jegan doesn't have a stick for a shield, or a golden faceplate...
And Jegan's rifle is also very easy to land. I don't know why, it just is.

pikachuwei 08-21-2011 10:21 PM

Flag is awesome

I kill Dendros and GNADs with it all the time in BS

Retune 08-21-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehprognoob (Post 1590752)
But Jegan doesn't have a stick for a shield, or a golden faceplate...
And Jegan's rifle is also very easy to land. I don't know why, it just is.

I have to admit I prefer the Flag's aesthetics over the Jegan's.

That is, unless the Jegan happens to be a Stark Jegan. With Unicorn horns. :py63:

Niveus 08-22-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehprognoob (Post 1590499)
lol, Union Flag.
Besides the railgun there's almost nothing of its weaponset for doing heavy damage. So fragile it's not even funny.
I disagree on the comparison between Realdo and Flag, though. V-Vac is far, far more useful than Reload Up for Flag. Any decent player should conserve ammo, but with V-Vac, if you get hit by, say, a stun rifle or get caught by an Aps I, you're okay. Especially stun, which means you're out in t he open, frozen for a second. For fragile little C ranks V-Vac is lovely beyond comparison. Okay, Reload is godly skill, too, but railgun loading is fine without it. It's not a gatling or flashlight; you're not going to spam it.

You do bring up a good point with that; with Stun and Boost Down as options, it is good to have V-vaccine. I still defend my choice of skill, however, because most boost-down causing mechs (most, not all) are melee type units, so if they catch you with it you're effectively screwed anyway, and there really aren't enough C/B rank units with stun for me to say that V-vaccine is more useful. In my experience with the Flag, while you don't attempt to spam w2 like a flashlight, I've always ended up needing the skill to keep playing effectively. Maybe it's my play style, but I do prefer reload up over V-vaccine. Plus, on top of that, you can always throw in a vaccine part to take the place of V-vaccine, so I my argument is still for Reload Up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retune (Post 1590741)

Jegan outdoes the Flag at everything it does. SERIOUSLY.

No arguing that the Flag is not the best C-rank scissors out there; it really is an average C-rank, and I won't argue that. The Flag is mostly for players who like playing C-ranks with high-speed ballistics with a little splash damage and for anybody who has watched 00 and has some nostalgic value for the Flag.

Crimsonred 08-22-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niveus (Post 1591076)
You do bring up a good point with that; with Stun and Boost Down as options, it is good to have V-vaccine. I still defend my choice of skill, however, because most boost-down causing mechs (most, not all) are melee type units, so if they catch you with it you're effectively screwed anyway, and there really aren't enough C/B rank units with stun for me to say that V-vaccine is more useful. In my experience with the Flag, while you don't attempt to spam w2 like a flashlight, I've always ended up needing the skill to keep playing effectively. Maybe it's my play style, but I do prefer reload up over V-vaccine. Plus, on top of that, you can always throw in a vaccine part to take the place of V-vaccine, so I my argument is still for Reload Up.

You only need one B rank with stun to screw you over, BR Zaku3, its best B stun suit and is crazy strong.

Niveus 08-22-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimsonred (Post 1591082)
You only need one B rank with stun to screw you over, BR Zaku3, its best B stun suit and is crazy strong.

Melty, not to be defensive or anything, but you did read the entire post, right? I mentioned that the vaccine skill part can be attached to make up for it at the end...

Ao 08-22-2011 03:29 PM

he's relatively speaking

flag is decent, it was one of the C ranks i had more fun with training to custom 1

the linear rifle is my favourite weapon type acutally, its one of the easiest to manual aim in my opinion