ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > Other MMO Games > Rusty Hearts > Rusty Hearts General Chat

Grand Fantasia
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Grand Fantasia

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-29-2011   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Griever
IGN: Werewolf
Class: Healer to_buffalo
Level: 20
Guild: RustyHearts
Exclamation First look at Rusty Hearts

Tried it out today and I have to say I'm pretty pleased.

DISCLAIMER: ALL OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE IN THE US VERSION. SOME OF THE CONTENT OUTLINED HERE MAY BE CONTENT WE WON'T SEE DURING CLOSED BETA, BUT MAY GET LATER ON. GM RENDER66 HAS STATED OUR VERSION WILL NOT BE IDENTICAL TO THE KOREAN VERSION SO TAKE EVERYTHING YOU READ HERE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.

Story

I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on because I don't understand Korean. However, the game takes place in some sort of Renaissance Era with demons. Some sort of ?scientist? has opened a portal to the demon realm which is in somebody's basement or something.

The game plays more like a Console RPG or even a movie than a traditional MMO. It has beautiful cinematics/cutscenes, complete with voice-acting which I found very impressive.

You have the option to skip these cutscenes or listen to them if you so please.

Gameplay/Staging

First of all, let me begin by saying SOUNDTRACK OF THE YEAR.

This game has a beautiful soundtrack that compliments the overall mood of the game. The character select screen has a solemn piano tune that sets the whole "dread and macabre" mood.

You begin at the server select screen and then you pick your server. Next is the character select screen and you have 4 slots for EACH character. which means a total of 12 characters per account. In case you were wondering, there is no customization during character creation.

If you choose to go through the Tutorial, you begin in some sort of castle trying to escape from a huge beast. After you finish the tutorial, you awaken in the Town Hall and are greeted by some female NPC who gives you your first quest.

When you leave the Town Hall, you only have a small part of the city unlocked (more becomes unlocked as you reach a higher level.)

Before the scientist guy shows you the Portal leading to the demon basement place, you are shown some sort of "Notice Board." This board allows you to get some extra quests with pretty nice rewards. The quests from the Notice Board are generally lengthier than NPC quests.

You are able to Craft armor and outfits with materials you find in the stages. The Crafted Armors have much better stats than armor you can buy in the store. This will require some farming.

In order to get materials for crafting, you kill monsters or disassemble armor using this robot skeleton thing. You put items in the robot skull's mouth and out comes the raw materials.

You can initially only choose the Normal Difficulty on a stage, but as you level up and complete the stage, you'll open the harder difficulties.

During stages, you pick up items with the X button. Enemies drop these Bronze Cards. Keep reading to find out their use.

Which brings me to the next point, at the end of the stage is a Boss, much in the spirit of games like Lunia and Vindictus. This boss will often spawn with a few enemies alongside him.

Once you kill the boss, you are taken to a Results Screen that shows the time spent in the stage, your best combo, and some other miscellaneous information. You are then given a rank. From what I've read, SSS is the best possible rank.

After the results screen, you are taken to a Rewards Screen. This part is more like a random Lottery system that allows party members to claim a facedown card. Once everyone selects a card, the cards are flipped up and your reward is revealed. The rewards are usually cash with a few of the cards being equipment. The more Bronze Cards you collected during the stage, the more cards you're able to claim and win rewards for.

Afterwards, you are taken to the Boss room and you have 4 options from there:
-Retry Stage
-Next Stage
-Store
-Town

Skills are raised through AP. You gain AP by completing stages. You gain skills at a pretty steady rate, so every few levels you'll have a new skill to play around with and combo or to enhance your character.

In regards to the Market, there is an Auction House similar to many MMOs found today. There are a few anti-scamming precautions put in place so people don't get their shiny pixels swiped.

Combat/Controls

Z: Block
X: Attack/Pickup Items
C: Grab
Space: Jump
CTRL/Double Arrow Key: Evade
ASDFG: Skills
1234: Potions/Items

Characters:
Frantz Kruger: Average Stats, Average speed, average strength, average attack recoil, better range than Tude, but less than Angela. Decent airtime.
Evade: Teleport forward
Angela Straughen: Best MP Stat, Glass cannon. Strong, but slow clunky attacks with long recoil, but has a nice range.
Evade: Roll
Tude Macloud: Best HP Stat, Slightly weaker, but much quicker than Frantz, but also less range. Great airtime during combos which allows for longer melee strings and more damage without the enemy being able to counter. Weaker than Angela. Very little recoil. Skills have more "push" than the other 2 characters.
Evade: Shoulder rush

The combat in R<3 lies somewhere between Lunia and Vindictus.

Like both games, everything is real time. This next part I'm unsure of because it might have just been lag on my end, but from what I've seen, if you time certain melee/skill strings, you perform a different type of attack.

An example is XXX on Frantz, which will result in 2 quick slashes followed by one medium-speed slash that's slightly stronger than an average slash.

Or you can do XX-wait-X and do a slower slash that's stronger than the 3rd XXX slash.

Combos are versatile enough to provide a good variety of attacks. Using combos is much more fun and efficient than just spamming X and skills due to increased damage when comboing.

You have the ability to Block attacks with the Z button. Enemies and bosses use this ability as well.

By pressing any arrow key twice in succession or the CTRL key, your character can perform an evasive maneuver (the Evade: portion outlined in the beginning of this section with the character descriptions.) This is useful for when you want to get away from an enemy and put some distance between you and them, to head to the front of the pack if enemies are spawning near you, or to get away if enemies are swarming around you.

Each day you are granted a "Horoscope Buff." Think of it as a daily random buff that may slightly benefit you in different ways (there's everything from an HP buff, Physical Dmg buff, Mag dmg buff, mp buff, Critical chance buff, etc. It changes daily so you may want to alter your playstyle according to this buff.

-------------

I'll add more to this later on.

Last edited by Griever; 07-24-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-29-2011   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of

Updated. 10char

07-24-2011   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Updated with some more info.

07-30-2011   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker
Awards Facebook Fan

RedReaper is on a distinguished road
IGN: Reaper
Class: Angela to_magician

Skills are ASDFGH

07-31-2011   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Shadow5YA has disabled reputation
IGN: ColdShadow
Class: Yuki lu_yuki

So I capped my Sword Focus Frantz. The cutscene at advancement was pretty entertaining too. Since your character's skills get reset, there was a little cutscene where my class trainer attempted to hit Frantz with a baseball bat to make him forget.

Anyway, Sword Frantz has increased airtime, and he gains the ability to use most of his basic skills in the air. He also gains more AoE Darkness/Curse based magic later on. Sword Focus is about.. 60/40 on the phys/magic split, but he gains much, much longer combos.
From the description of Axe Focus, it looks like he places less focus on midair ability and darkness based magic to gain more wide physical skills with stun procs.

08-01-2011   #6 (permalink)
全砲門!Fire!
Special
Games
LuniaLuna OnlineLand of Chaos OnlineGrand Chase
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerWandering EyeTwitter FanPervert Award

Gladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud ofGladiat has much to be proud of
IGN: 混合
Level: ⑨
Guild: NoGay

Cutscene for Angela's Reset is Estel trying to hypnotize Angela, who refuses to believe that staring at it will make her forget but she ends up falling asleep even though that wasn't the desired outcome (Estel didn't even tell her to do anything).

For Magic Sword Focus Angela, it looks like she gains the use of lots of defensive spells. One worth noting is Light Shield which casts 6 orbs floating around you and deal damage to anything that touches them. It orbits in a large radius around you when you're standing still but it shrinks till it practically touches you when you move.

The other thing would be her new skill Soul Eroder, which grants her the ability to do infinite combos. Assuming you get the upgrade for it at level 20, it reduces the cooldown from 9 seconds to 2 seconds and casts a large orb that move forwards really slowly. If you manage to get an enemy to bounce on it, it bounces them 4 times before they drop. Also, it pushes monsters away as well as giving Angela the ability to stunlock bosses on her own.

Using Soul Eroder in conjunction with her other basic skills will allow her to infinite juggle monsters/players because of the low cooldown they have. Wall of Fire, Magic Missile, Soul Eroder, Windy Blast and Stonefist are enough to infinitely combo anything. However, it requires timing and knowledge as to when to use each skill. It removes some restrictions for distance etc if you reach a wall but casting Soul Eroder too close to the wall can cause the enemy to drop because there's a possibility of not doing all 4 hits.

Magic Sword Focus gives quite a few healing abilities, including Purification at level 20, which can pretty much fully heal anyone from 1 HP to full at the moment. It creates a magic circle (Same size as her regular heal circle) and anyone in the circle is healed 99 HP each time and the circle heals at least 20 times (Haven't counted)

Her Magic Scythe Focus I haven't see too much of, but it includes lots of long range spells and area of effect, including buffs where your weapon deals extra fire/water damage etc. Her level 20 skill shoots out a spinning blade that has homing if you get the level 20 upgrade for it, and later on she gets skills which include summoning a massive bomb that drops over people, raining meteors etc.

Last edited by Gladiat; 08-01-2011 at 01:58 AM.

08-01-2011   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Tude's focus cutscene continues Gordon's "war stories." Tude goes to Gordon for therapy, which involves Gordon sneaking up behind him and whacking him over the head with a baseball bat.

I didn't really get it, but Claw Focus is pretty decent.

08-01-2011   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

For Frantz, Joheim attempted to hit him with a baseball bat, but Frantz caught on. He first noticed Angela asleep where Estel is, and Tude down on the ground where Gordon, then he notices Joheim hiding a bat behind his back. Joheim never really got to do anything to Frantz and my SP still reset.

To elaborate on Sword Focus, Frantz gains the ability to use most of his basic low cooldown skills in the air. Sword Upper, Bleeding Attack, Dark Storm, Soul Bleeder, and Piercing Lance can all be used in the air. There's also two different passives to reduce the MP cost and cooldowns of my sword skills and curse magic. Put all that together, and Sword Frantz can string together an infinite chain of attacks, ground or midair.
Later on, Frantz also gains a number of magic AoEs with a number of debuffing effects. Magic Barrier X reduces enemy physical defense, Hand of Hell reduces enemy attack and movement speed by 30%, and Reduce Damage... well, reduces enemy damage. From what I see, Sword Frantz is basically dropping Curse magic AoE debuffs, then facerolling with fast combos. The downside is that despite having AoEs later on, Frantz is still very much a close range fighter, which can pose some problems against bosses since they're all super armored most of the time and unlaunchable.

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 08-01-2011 at 06:00 PM.

08-01-2011   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Oh yeah, I was wondering where Tude fits into the story. Apparently he doesn't really show up in the story until the end of the Labyrinth.

EDIT: Apparently each area has a big cutscene when you finish the story for all the dungeons in that area. A day passes after each area is completed. When I finished the Lower Plant area, the date changed from D-6 to D-5. When I finished the Labyrinth just now, the day changed from D-5 to D-4.

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 08-01-2011 at 05:55 PM.

08-01-2011   #10 (permalink)
Ayu
雲散霧消
Games
ACE OnlineAir RivalsCosmic BreakGunZ
Awards Event WinnerFacebook FanPervert Award

Ayu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Ayu

You had me at:

Quote:
SOUNDTRACK OF THE YEAR.

☆ 3DS: 3883-6119-6754

08-03-2011   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Thankfully the soundtrack is up for download on Youtube.

Lots of people on forums cream themselves over it too.