ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > Other MMO Games > Rusty Hearts > Rusty Hearts General Chat

Elsword
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
06-18-2011   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Griever
IGN: Werewolf
Class: Healer to_buffalo
Level: 20
Guild: RustyHearts
Default Rusty Hearts Game Review (by Steparu)

To those of you who have been following this game, no doubt you've seen Steparu's vids on Youtube. This is his review of the game.

Quote:
Rusty Hearts Online Review

The following is a written review from the recent Korean open beta, some of the content may not reflect content we may expect to see in the North American release, but this is strictly for those who may still be in the dark when in comes to in-depth information about what Rusty hearts is all about, please review the following content as a useful guide to familiarize yourselves in what to look forward to.

Monday, 25 April 2011 21:37 - steparu

Rusty Hearts was recently released in Korea last week. I've managed to spend most of my time indulging myself in this 2D Action MMORPG, it's a pretty fun game to play. It almost feels like you're playing an arcade game since you can grab, slash, block, jump and stuff. Rusty Hearts will be making it's way to the States some time this year so be one of the first to read an in-depth review of it. Hopefully, this review will help you decide if it's worth your time.

Rusty Hearts Maze Gameplay

Introduction

Rusty Hearts isn't exactly ground breaking new when it comes to gameplay. The gameplay is actually a bit similar to a bunch of games that have been released already. To narrow it down, it is a bit like Lunia Online but much better in many ways. All of the current presentations for Rusty Hearts makes it look like it's a small game, but in reality there are a lot of things to do in Rusty Hearts. The only downside with games like Rusty Hearts, is the P.P system also known as Stamina or Fatigue in other games.

There are only three playable characters in Rusty Hearts, and they are all gender locked and non customizable during the character creation process. There is also a 4th character that is available but it seems to be locked during the Open Beta phase. Maybe it will be unlocked through story mode later or in the future upcoming patches. Each character can wield two different types of weapons. For example, Angela starts off with the Great Sword and around level 10 she can either switch to a Scythe or stick with her Great Sword. Of course, your attacks and animations also changes depending on the type of weapon you use. You're given one free skill reset and job change once you reach level 20+, just in case you bork up your character.

Rusty Hearts Very Hard Mode Solo Gameplay

Gameplay

Rusty Hearts is a pretty casual game in terms of gameplay. It's very easy to pick up and get started right away. If you're looking to try out this game but can't get your friends to join you, no problem. You can easily enjoy this game on your own or just find players through the party window. Even with a lot of channels available I was able to find a couple of players running around town. In my opinion they should decrease this in the future, because it felt like I was playing a ghost game. But in reality the game itself was packed with a bunch of active players. You will often find yourself repeating the same dungeon no less than six times. If you're the type that gets bored easily from repeating the same dungeons over and over, then you might want to skip out on this game.

A Big Boss!

This game has four difficulty settings and they are Normal, Hard, Very Hard, and Blood. You will need to finish a dungeon in Normal Mode to unlock Hard Mode, finish Hard Mode to unlock Very Hard. A special key is needed to enter Blood Mode dungeons so don't go about wasting your keys on lower level dungeons. Rusty Hearts gameplay is disappointingly too easy in every way you can imagine. You can pretty much solo the whole game, a good game for anti-social gamers that play online games for fun. It doesn't really take much skill to solo and own the final bosses of each dungeon in Very Hard Mode. Heck, when you have a full party the boss just melts right away if everyone spams their skills, which is pretty sad. Of course, the difficulty gap between Very Hard and Blood is insanely huge. It's pretty much impossible to solo the higher level 25+ dungeons on Blood Mode without using a bunch of pots and food. It's also harder to get SSS rank in later dungeons solo, but if you have a full party getting SSS rank should be a breeze. More like it's impossible for a full party to not get SSS rank unless they keep getting hit or they are just baddies. In my experiences after you gain access the other side of the town with higher level dungeons, the game becomes more challenging but still solo'able if you play skillfully. Also if you are lucky enough, you can access a bonus stage at the end of each dungeon.

Library Very Hard Mode Party Play

Guild & Your Room & City

Rusty Hearts provides you with your own room that is customizable later on. You also have your own Guild House assuming that you are in a Guild. You can gather members in here and setup group meetings, upgrade guild, and etc. The game may look a bit small at first, but after you progress through the story line you will unlock bigger areas of the city. You will spend most of your lower levels 1-20 in a small part of the town, after you are 20+ you will then be able to proceed to the other side of town which is about three times bigger than where you were.

The smaller side of the town

Controls

Controls are very easy to adapt to if you have played a bunch of 2D games before. The only time I had to use the mouse was for selling items, crafting, upgrading equips, and such. Other than that you're pretty much using your gamepad controller or your keyboard in dungeons and picking up quests in town. Spacebar to jump, C key to grab, Z key to block, X key to normal attack. A,S,D,F,G,H are used for your active offensive skills. F1~F4 is used for your active buff skills and 1~6 is used for your potions and food. If you have gamepad you can just rebind everything to however you please!

Blood Mode on a Low Level Dungeon

Quests, PvP, And Crafting

There are a lot of quests available in Rusty Hearts, the amount of quests you get will never end! So much quests that I dreaded picking up more quests for a dungeon that I had recently completed. I haven't ran across any repeatable quests in this game, thank goodness. There are enough quests available for each of the dungeons in the game that you will never end up mindlessly grinding a dungeon without any quests or side objectives. There are some quests that are a bit harder to complete alone, some of these quests involve like getting SSS on Very Hard. Or not getting hit more than 10 times.

Wine Cellar Gameplay

The only drawback with the Questing system in Rusty Hearts is you have to go through the "Story" quests to unlock certain chapters, new areas, new dungeons, and different sections of the city. It's vital that you complete these story quests if you want to progress to other areas of the game. The story mission is kind of linear average type but never the less it's interesting.

There is a PvP system available for players who enjoy killing other players. You can either one on one, guild battle, and team battle, I've never had a chance to fully test out the PvP system in Rusty Hearts since I was a bit busy this week. There is a lot of crafting content available in Rusty Hearts. You can craft costumes, weapons, armors, cash shop items, hair, food, and pretty much everything. There aren't any recipes that you need to collect. Just farm up for the materials needed for that certain item, and talk to the crafting NPC. Different NPC's will provide you with a huge list of things you can craft, you can even filter out items that you already have the materials for. So that you don't have to browse through the long lists and such. You can also upgrade your equipment, slot them, and etc.

Table Room Hard Mode

P.P / Fatigue / Stamina

As I have explained in the introduction, Rusty Hearts has a Fatigue or Stamina system called P.P. The P.P bar starts off at 100%, it will gradually decrease the more dungeons you join. Once it becomes 0% you will no longer be able to get any exp from dungeons. You will then have to wait the next morning until they reset your P.P bar back up to 100%. This doesn't really bother me much, since the Stamina system is very common in Korean MMORPG's and cash shop games.

Graphics and Sound

I've got to say that Rusty Hearts probably has the best customizable graphics for a 2D action MMORPG out in the current market as of the moment. The resolution can go as high as 1920x1080, maybe even higher. The game can be spec to run flawlessly on low and high end computers. If you have a super computer, then you can blast out all of your settings on Ultra High. Most of the videos I have recorded are on Ultra High 1080p, but Youtube lowers the quality of most 1080p videos. However, you should be able to see at the gorgeous game quality. Now only if the bosses didn't melt right away, oogling at the huge boss fights would be much more enjoyable.

Table Room on Very Hard

Excellent sound quality especially for the BGM OST. I've been dying to get my hands on the full OST for this game. Rusty Hearts music pumps you up hardcore, it has so much energy that it will fuel adrenaline in your system. So much adrenaline in the BGM's, that it can also be used for your daily workout at the Gym. I hope they release the full Rusty Hearts OST on their main website soon. I can't wait any longer, I must hear all of the BGM for this game. It's either that, or be lame and rip it myself by joining all the dungeons available in the game and start stereo mix recording stuff.

Table Room on Normal Setting

Conclusion

I wish Rusty Hearts was more challenging, the games early content kind of turned me off. Leveling 1-25 should be pretty easy, after that solo'ing starts becoming more challenging. To be honest Rusty Hearts is the type of game you should play, if you don't have much time on your hands. The game seems to be very casual at least the way it's being presented. It's easy, you can solo dungeons easily and stuff, and once you're out of stamina you can go back to the IRL instance. If you're a hardcore player, you will probably end up farming materials or spending most of your time in the PvP arena. As great as Rusty Hearts is, I am pretty sure you won't be spending the whole day playing this game. I will be playing this game for awhile longer and try to get max level by then, if you're interested in seeing more gameplay videos then you can check them out at my SteparuTV channel in the future. I hope you enjoyed this review and see you again!

Game Score: 8.0

Review written by well-known Korean/Japanese game beta tester "Steparu"

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-18-2011   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of

My thoughts: Yay, no Easy Mode! However, it upsets me to hear that Very Hard isn't that difficult. I really hope they tweak that in the future.

This "Blood" mode sounds like it's going to be the "true" Very Hard difficulty. I wanna play it from the start. @_@

The quest objectives also seem pretty creative. Especially the "Avoid getting hit more than 10 times" thing. It's better than just the typical "kill X amount of monsters and go to X NPC."

The Fatigue system reminds me of Runescape Classic. And not in a good way. I'm still unsure as to how I feel about that. It seems to be punishing the most dedicated players (i.e. nolifers) and rewarding those who only play MMOs casually (like myself.)

In a way I suppose it's good because I'm not someone who will be able to play 24/7 and so I won't fall too far behind just because I'm not logging in for 8 hours a day. On the converse, it's bad because those who do choose to play it for an extended period of time are getting the short end of the stick.

However, PWE has servers in North America and America is greedy, so I think they might do away with this system.

Also apparently Rusty Hearts = Twilight except not lame. Tude can turn into a werewolf and Frantz is a vampire.

Last edited by Griever; 06-18-2011 at 05:49 PM.

06-18-2011   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

sentythee is just really nicesentythee is just really nicesentythee is just really nicesentythee is just really nice
Guild: Titans

We need pvp videos! The beginning of this is all I found (I haven't looked for korean videos yet):

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010..._video,1.shtml

I hope we can rebind the keys... I need my WASD movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griever
I hope they release the full Rusty Hearts OST on their main website soon
Can you not grab it from the client? It must be somewhere, I doubt you're downloading it every time you start the client or start a dungeon.

06-18-2011   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentythee
We need pvp videos! The beginning of this is all I found (I haven't looked for korean videos yet):

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010..._video,1.shtml

I hope we can rebind the keys... I need my WASD movement.

Can you not grab it from the client? It must be somewhere, I doubt you're downloading it every time you start the client or start a dungeon.
I know for a fact you can reassign the keys. Unless PWE finds it necessary for some bizarre reason to get rid of that feature...but I don't think they will. <_<

Also the music files are in one of those weird custom formats (RH uses .pck, .flt and .asi) so you can't simply listen to it as is.

Also PVP stuff:

Last edited by Griever; 06-18-2011 at 09:40 PM.

06-18-2011   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

sentythee is just really nicesentythee is just really nicesentythee is just really nicesentythee is just really nice
Guild: Titans

That's not a pvp, that's some guy talking about a pvp. I found a pvp though:

06-19-2011   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Ya but it falls into category of a pvp also cool that is a cool a pvp

6 person deathmatch sounds pretty hectic. Must try.

06-19-2011   #7 (permalink)
Guild Leader

HoroTheWise will become famous soon enough

Pretty nice game~~

06-22-2011   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

From the Rusty Hearts GM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by render66
Hey Everyone!

We're getting close. Very close. I mean like "Objects in the mirror..." close, so revealing some very exciting news about the upcoming Rusty Hearts closed beta!

I know you've all been patiently waiting for an exact date on when you will be able to get in on the action, but you won't have to wait much longer. I'll be sure to keep you up to date with all the latest news!
Almost here! Omigod @_@ I think it might come out before the 20th.

06-28-2011   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Making a KR account for Rusty Hearts. I'll put up a review too.

06-28-2011   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

That took a while. I'm in finally @_@