ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > Ragnarok Online 2 > RO2 Guides > RO2 Thief Guides

Elsword
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-03-2013   #1 (permalink)
Jon
♥ 09/07/13 to INFINITY. ♥
Games
Trickster OnlineElswordWonderKing OnlineEden Eternal
Awards Admin AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularGuide WriterWiki Task ForceWandering EyeArtifact HoarderPervert Award

Jon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond repute
Default The definitive PvP/PvE rogue guide.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

INTRODUCTION:

Hello, lads and ladies. Are you curious about a Rogue, like PvP, and still want to be effective in PvE? Well then, look no further, because this guide should cover all of your needs!

This guide is mainly centered around PvP, but it will also make it so that you will still do very well in PvE. One thing to keep in mind is that Rogues aren't exactly the best in PvP, but that shouldn't deter you from trying out this build. As I wrote a few times, it is still pretty effective in PvE situations, and I will include most core skills that many Rogues use for PvE already; with some slight variations.

Onward, then!

PURPOSE OF A ROGUE:

In any party situation, the main purpose of a Rogue is to provide damage. You will want to let the tank gain aggro with the monsters, and then just lay the smack down. Rogues do not have any decent AoE, so you'll want to focus on one monster at a time. If a monster(s) happens to slip through the radar and start attacking your healer, your priority then (over any other) is to kill that (those) monster(s) (helping out other ranged characters in your party is also helpful, after you kill the monster(s) that are attacking the healer); going back to the monsters that the tank is attacking after they are defeated. ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings, especially in dungeons and raids.

When it comes to bosses in dungeons and raids, your main priorities will be to kill all the boss adds (monsters that the boss spawns) and protecting your healer. If you find that the healer is becoming overwhelmed by adds, simply chug a HP potion to gain aggro, and wail on them. Once the adds are out of the way, you then should focus on damaging the boss to help provide extra damage. Once the boss spawns more adds, you once again repeat the process. I'll say it once more, because it is that important: ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings.

PROS AND CONS:

Before I go into the actual guide and skill/stat descriptions, I'd just like to take some time to lay out some of the pros and cons that the Rogue has. This isn't a complete list, it is more of a general outline.

Pros:
+ Able to survive very well.
+ Damage is pretty decent.
+ Tons of critical hits (you have one skill at your disposal that always lands a crit).
+ Decently paced, no cast times (some skills have moderately long animations however).
+ Spend less on potions than a few other classes.
+ There are far more Assassins than Rogues, making you a little more unique (no shadow form is a plus).
+ Some range, due to dagger throwing (you won't be spamming it; mainly used just to gain aggro). This can be helpful in certain situations.
+ The Hide (and Smoke Bomb) skill. You can easily collect materials without the worry of being hassled by mobs that have auto aggro.

Cons:
- It is a melee class (not really a 'con' per se, but some people just do not like melee).
- Really boring leveling until you gain some of your core Rogue skills.
- You will be chugging tons of HP potions until you get a few of your core Rogue skills.
- Most of your main attacking skills will require a full bar of combo points (you have access to some passive skills that help fill the bar though).
- Skills that you depend on for survivability have a pretty long cool down, but this build will help to alleviate that issue.

STATS:

Here I will go over the stat system of RO2, and what stats are important to a Rogue. I will also post some stat build recommendations.

STR: Raises your attack power and parry. One of your most important stats as a Rogue.

AGI: Increases your critical and dodge. This is another very important stat.

INT: Increases your magic power and parry. This is a useless stat for a Rogue.

WIS: Increases your SP. This stat can be helpful, but I recommend that you don't put any points into this; gear of green and of higher tiers will provide you with enough WIS to carry on.

VIT: Increases your HP. Like WIS, this stat can be helpful. However, since your gear will provide adequate enough VIT, you can leave this stat alone. I do have a stat build that incorporates VIT, it is really up to you though.

STAT BUILDS:

A few general stat builds to give you an idea to how you can build your character, don't feel like these are the only options available, though. You are free to do what you wish!

Standard build: 40 STR, 40 AGI, and 8 VIT.

This is the build that most Rogues go for, as it gives you decent attack power and critical. The VIT is added to fill in any left over stat points. I would recommend that you pump STR until 36, work on AGI until 20, pump points back into STR until 40, and finally bring your AGI to 40 as well. Work on VIT last.

Power hungry: 51 STR, 27 AGI, and 3 VIT.

This is the current build that I am using, it is useful for PvP and taking out enemies faster. The standard build gives you more critical, which can actually provide more damage (if you are lucky), but I prefer my damage to be a bit more stable. What I am doing for this build is pumping all STR until 51, adding 27 into AGI after that, and then just finishing it off with VIT with the left over points. Of course, you are free to pump the stats into any order you wish.

Critical fiend: 30 STR, 48 AGI, and 8 VIT.

This build can be quite useful if you like to see more criticals, while still giving you a moderate amount of STR to help output some decent stable damage. I would recommend that you pump 30 into STR first, work on AGI until 48, and then finally finishing it off with VIT.

Balanced build: 33 STR, 33 AGI, and 30 VIT.

This build is good if you want a pretty balanced stat build, which can come in handy. Most Rogues probably won't go this route because other builds are much more effective (1 point of VIT only adds 6 HP and most of your gear will provide enough VIT to survive anyway); the extra VIT can be useful though. I would recommend pumping STR first until around 25, after that pump some into AGI (around 20), and then focus on VIT until around 10-15. After that you can basically pump the stats in any order you want.

Last edited by Jon; 06-04-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-03-2013   #2 (permalink)
Jon
Games
Awards Admin AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularGuide WriterWiki Task ForceWandering EyeArtifact HoarderPervert Award

Jon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond repute

SKILL BUILD:

Below, you will find a link to the skill build via RO2Base. I will get more in-depth with the skills later on, to explain the build a little more. Note that I have the stats set to my 'power hungry' stat build; you are free to use this, or any other stat build that you desire. It is not set in stone.

http://www.ro2base.com/build/generat....1.3/0.0.0.0.0

SKILL POINT ALLOCATION:

This is just a guide of how I allocated my skill points per level. You are free to follow it as is, or just as a general outline.

Levels 02-10
Spoiler!

Levels 11-19
Spoiler!

Levels 20-29
Spoiler!

Levels 30-39
Spoiler!

Levels 40-50
Spoiler!

SKILL LAYOUT:

This section will explain what each skill does, and why I have added points in the skills that I have.

Passive skills:

Combo Training (3/3)
Spoiler!

Combo Mastery (3/3)
Spoiler!

Buff skills:

Mark of Genocide (5/5)
Spoiler!

Poisoning Weapon (1/5)
Spoiler!

Unstable Doping (5/5)
Spoiler!

Utility skills:

Hide (1/3)
Spoiler!

Dagger Throwing (1/4)
Spoiler!

Smoke Bomb (3/3)
Spoiler!

Dirty Plan (5/5)
Spoiler!

Gangster's Paradise (5/5)
Spoiler!

Crescent Moon (1/5)
Spoiler!

Mark of Death (0/5)
Spoiler!

Attacking skills:

Double Attack (5/5)
Spoiler!

Deadly Blow (5/5)
Spoiler!

Dark Illusion (1/5)
Spoiler!

Meteor Assault (1/3)
Spoiler!

Cross Impact (1/5)
Spoiler!

Dual Stab (1/5)
Spoiler!

Rolling Cutter (0/3)
Spoiler!

Moonlight Dance (5/5)
Spoiler!

Last edited by Jon; 06-04-2013 at 04:09 PM.

06-03-2013   #3 (permalink)
Jon
Games

JOBS:

You are free to chose any job you want really, as there is no real impact in gameplay. However, I will list the jobs currently available in RO2, and my suggestions. Items that you craft from your job will always be more powerful than items you can buy from an NPC, so you might want to keep that in mind. After you have a job level of 10, you can also summon a Guardian to help you in battle. After you surpass other job levels, you can upgrade the look of the guardian via job quests later on.

Alchemist: You can create buff potions that increase stats, such as a defense or strength for a limited duration. You can also create potions that instantly heal HP and SP; just keep in mind that these potions have a cool down like any other healing potions in the game after use. I would highly recommend that you chose this as your job if you are new to the game, as it can help save money on potions.

Artisan: You can create any type of clothing, which does not include armor (most classes use this other than Swordsmen). You can also create runes for equipment slots; it is an all around good job if you ask me. I would recommend this job if you have another character that is already an Alchemist.

Blacksmith: You can create armor (which is used for Swordsmen), weapons for all classes, and hole punchers will allow you to create a slot in equipment for runes. While this is a pretty good job, I personally would not recommend it for a Rogue. You are, however, free to choose Blacksmith if you so desire.

Chef: You can create food that has healing over time properties (which some even heal SP), and food that can boost your character's attributes/properties. This is a decent job when its a high enough level, but it can be a pretty difficult job to level up. If you are an experienced player with characters with an Alchemist job already in the least, this can be a good choice. I really wouldn't recommend this job for your first character.

RUNES:

Runes are used to boost your character's stats. You can use a rune on basically most equipment, but that equipment already has to have an empty rune slot for you to be able to rune it. As I've explained in my job section, Blacksmiths can create hole punchers, which allow you to create a rune slot in equipment. As I've also explained in the above section, Artisans can create Runes.

As a Rogue, I'd recommend that you stick to using STR and AGI runes, based on your current preferences and needs. You could also use VIT runes if you feel that you need more HP, but STR and AGI runes are generally your best bet.

CARDS:

Cards can drop from most monsters, though it is generally a low chance. Cards boost your character stats, such as STR, AGI, and VIT. The cards you'll want to apply to your character are generally ones that provide a decent boost to those three stats mentioned in the previous sentence, but don't disregard a card if it has INT/WIS on it, if the other stats you need happen to be decent. Personally, I prioritize cards that provide a decent STR and AGI boost, while giving a great VIT boost.

You have 5 personal card slots for your character, which are unlocked after a certain level. At level 1, you'll have 1 card slot available. At level 10, 2 card slots. At level 20, 3 card slots; level 30 gives you 4 card slots, and finally, at level 40, you gain a full 5 card slots for your character.

There are also different tiers of card rarity; green being the most common, blue being rare, and gold being epic/legendary. Blue usually has a higher stat boost than green, and gold usually has an even higher stat boost than blue. Each monster has a static card rarity, so if a monster drops a green card, it will always be green.

You can also upgrade cards, which give a better boost in stats using Card Synthesis. You can't directly upgrade a card, as the cards you place in for Synthesis all have a random chance of that one being upgraded (each card you put in for Synthesis needs to be around the same level range); you'll also have a really rare chance of a blue card appearing if you place all green cards in for Synthesis, and a really rare chance of a gold card appearing if you attempt to Synthesize all blue cards. Note that you need 5 different cards for the Synthesis to work.

There is a 50% chance of the Synthesis to fail, meaning you lose all the cards you put into to be Synthesized. I would only recommend Card Synthesis if you have tons of cards to spare.

COLOSSEUM TIPS:

The Colosseum is a free for all PvP area, where players compete for the title of Champion (which is just for bragging rights), and for blood points (used to obtain Colosseum gears, which are really powerful). You can also receive Colosseum boxes (depending on what round you made it to), which contain random items. Each Colosseum starts at 1 PM PST and 6 PM PST. To enter, you need to be at least level 10; simply click on the Colosseum icon on the lower right hand side of your screen.

There are 5 rounds, starting with 30 people. When you enter the Colosseum, you disband from any parties you are currently in. In order to advance in rounds, you need to be in a certain place; you need to be at least in 24th place for round 2, 18th place for round 3, 12th place for round 4, and 6th place for the final round. To see the current place where you rank in the Colosseum, you can press the Caps Lock key (also it shows your current rank next to a trophy icon on the UI, upper left corner). You only gain blood points for the rounds that you have advanced to.

For the round that you have been eliminated on, you will not receive any blood points or a Colosseum box for that round; you will, however, receive your rewards for previous rounds that you have advanced to. For example, if you made it to round 3, but got eliminated on round 4, you will receive all rewards for rounds 1-3.

Your rank depends on three factors; how many players you have killed, how many monsters you have killed, and finally, how many times that you have died. Every time you kill a player it is worth 100 points, while every time you kill a monster it is worth 25 points. Each death will deduct 50 points from your score (cannot go below 0 points).

Since you are a Rogue, it can be pretty frustrating to advance. However, since monster kills count towards your point total, I would highly recommend that you focus only on monster kills away from groups, and use the Smoke Bomb/Dark Illusion combo on players who are about to die. If you happen to advance to the final round, kill as many of the Porings (more on that later) as you can, and use the Dirty Plan/Smoke Bomb trick as much as possible (to prevent deaths). It is also wise to focus on killing players in the final round, being strategic is the key.

If you notice that the players who are ganging up on the #1 ranked player are low on health, take them out instead; while this seems a bit stupid at first, most people will be focusing on the #1 ranked player, so it gives you a better chance to gain more points.

As for the Porings, they are a special monster in the Colosseum that have 1 point of health (killing one is still worth 25 points), but they have a chance to help or hinder you. Here is a like of some of the (de)buffs you can obtain from killing one:
  • Automatic heal of 100k HP (one time).
  • A 30 second buff, where your damaged is multiplied by 2.
  • A 20 second buff, where your defense is multiplied by 1.5.
  • 5 seconds of being silenced (unable to use any skills).
  • 5 seconds of being stunned (unable to move or use skills).
  • 10 seconds of not being able to move (but still able to use skills like Smoke Bomb).
Have fun!

Last edited by Jon; 06-04-2013 at 04:55 PM.

06-03-2013   #4 (permalink)
Jon
Games

OTHER INFO:

Thank you for taking the time to read this guide! If you notice any errors of any kind, please PM me. I am also open to any suggestions as to how to make this guide any better.

CREDITS:

This skill build isn't 100% my idea, as a person named 'xxalucard' posted his build in the official WP forums under the Thief section. I merely saw his build and changed it a little to my preferences. I wanted to thank him as well, because without him, I wouldn't have got any ideas for this build. I personally wrote everything in this guide myself, however.

Last edited by Jon; 06-04-2013 at 03:03 PM.