07-27-2011   #1 (permalink)
[夢]
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineGunboundLuniaAtlantica Online

Yume has disabled reputation
IGN: Yume/Relief/夢
Guild: Drop/JW/Kirameki/Hores(FT)
Default Why have a cellphone and not turn it on?

My mom took the bus to visit my grandma in another province (about a 6 hour bus ride), and she was supposed to arrive over an hour ago. It's 2:30am right now. My uncle is waiting to pick her up, and I called him and he said she hasn't gotten there yet. My mom has a cellphone and I tried calling several times but I doubt she turned it on. She always does this if she even takes her cellphone with her. Most of the time, she leaves it at home, or takes it with her and leaves it off.
Her reason? "My cellphone is expensive, that's why I leave it off so no one can call me!" and it should only be used in emergency--- well it doesn't work that way. How the hell do I contact you?

Something similar happened a few nights ago where she went over to a friend's place a few blocks down. She didn't bring her cellphone and it was past midnight and she didn't call us. Made us so worried >:

Ugh, mother... turn on your damn cellphone please. Daughter is worrieddddd.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
07-27-2011   #2 (permalink)
k0n
YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineGunboundAtlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerSotW MasterFacebook Fan

k0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to k0n
IGN: [JW]
Class: Hisui
Level: ****
Guild: YEAH

Asian parents, etc

07-27-2011   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Special Games
La TaleTrickster OnlinePangyaROHAN: Blood Feud
Awards MoM Award

Aria has disabled reputation

Haha. Normally it's the parents complaining about their children not turning their phone on.

The title is an open ended question, though. I can think of many reasons why people don't turn their phones on. I rarely used to leave mine on and I have had friends asking about that. For one, literally nobody ever calls my cell except my mom in emergencies, so unless we're trying to stay in touch with each other, I didn't even bother leaving it on as I was always too lazy to recharge it. I keep it turned on nowadays for personal reasons.

Going back to your rant, it totally makes sense to turn your phone on so loved ones who are worried can contact you, so I really understand. +Rep for an amusing rant.

07-27-2011   #4 (permalink)
Time Breaker

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of

omg, this is just like one of my aunts, she's so paranoid that she don't even turn on her cellphone very often, and everyone is wondering why does she even have a cellphone lol

07-27-2011   #5 (permalink)
[夢]
Special
Games

Well I understand that she doesn't have to turn it on ALL the time, but if she's going on a trip, it would really put me at ease if she turned it on. When she was leaving, I even asked her "Do you have your cellphone?" "Yes" "Is it charged?" "Yes"
Silly me for not asking if it was on. -.-;

Anyway, her bus was late and she didn't even realize it. :v I was especially worried because I thought if she was late, she'd at least call my uncle and give him a heads up.
I'll just have to ask her if her phone is on whenever she leaves the house -.-;

Not many people call me either, but I still leave it on. I put it on vibrate when I'm in class or something though.

07-27-2011   #6 (permalink)
Ayu
雲散霧消
Games
ACE OnlineAir RivalsCosmic BreakGunZ
Awards Event WinnerFacebook FanPervert Award

Ayu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond reputeAyu has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Ayu

My mother always complains about me not picking up my phone (because I'm either at work or busy/shower/toilet/etc), but she's even worse than me. She always leaves it in her purse, which she leaves in her office while staying in other rooms. ._.

☆ 3DS: 3883-6119-6754

07-27-2011   #7 (permalink)
I got bored.
Games
La TaleMapleStoryCosmic BreakElsword

Lime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: BelleGlacier
Class: Trap Highlander lt_warlord
Level: 195
Guild: Luminary

AAAAAAAH!

My Grandma has this same problem... this is really bad when she's taking care of a sick cousin and WE HAVE TO CALL HER TO TELL HER ABOUT A MEDICINE HE NEEDS TO TAKE.

07-27-2011   #8 (permalink)
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Games
Blade & SoulAdventure Quest WorldsDiablo IIIGuild Wars 2
Awards Twitter Fan

Poople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud of

Some people just don't like cellphones but feel like they need to have one in this day and age

07-27-2011   #9 (permalink)
shotgun opera lock'n load
Special
Games
FiestaTrickster OnlineTransformice!King of Kings III
Awards Event WinnerSotW Professional

moffit has a reputation beyond reputemoffit has a reputation beyond reputemoffit has a reputation beyond reputemoffit has a reputation beyond reputemoffit has a reputation beyond reputemoffit has a reputation beyond reputemoffit has a reputation beyond reputemoffit has a reputation beyond reputemoffit has a reputation beyond reputemoffit has a reputation beyond reputemoffit has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Heyou

I have one but it's only for emergencies. I leave it on until the battery dies, then recharge it a day or two later when I remember. I won't answer if I'm driving or working, and a lot of the time it doesn't occur to me to look and see if anyone did try to reach me. The majority of the calls I do get are scam calls, making me really not want to hear it anyway. I have it more for if something happens to me while I'm out, but it just isn't something I've got attached to my hand at all times like most everyone else I've met.

07-27-2011   #10 (permalink)
No good next to diamonds
Games
Neo SteamValkyrie SkyTrickster OnlineTribal Wars

JoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud of
IGN: Pinfire
Level: 50

Here's a possible reason:

And in all honesty, would it better that it was off or or that it was not being answered?

Then, you'd be thinking why isn't she answering, is she in some kind of trouble, did the bus crash, so on and so forth.

Last edited by JoyDivision; 07-27-2011 at 07:06 PM.

07-27-2011   #11 (permalink)
[夢]
Special
Games

Well it's illegal here to drive and text/talk on the phone. I really hate seeing people do that and feel no sympathy for people who get caught and fined.
Even if you leave it in the purse or something, if someone calls, and you check, at least you know someone was trying to reach you. D: I don't always answer my phone right away --- not at all while I drive but I have caller ID so I can check and call back later.

07-28-2011   #12 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Facebook Fan

eicellos will become famous soon enougheicellos will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to eicellos

My mom does the same thing. Trufax @ asian parents post :V Happens every damn time, me or my dad are in dire need to contact my mother, and her cellphone isn't turned on. I don't see the point in bringing your cellphone out with you if you're not going to turn it on.

07-28-2011   #13 (permalink)
Time Breaker

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of

actually, I don't see any reason to off your phone unless its really low on battery, you can just put it to silent if you can't afford to leave it have ringtones when you're being called on messaged.

after all thats what I do, on 24/7 and only off when battery is low

07-28-2011   #14 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Facebook Fan

^ I concur. In fact, I never turn my phone off. As long as I'm at home, it's plugged into the charger. I'm aware that it may shorten the lifespan of the battery, but so many different sources say different things, so... yeah =o= My phone's also on vibrate alerts no matter what~

07-29-2011   #15 (permalink)
Time Breaker

you don't have to keep it plugged onto the charger only do so when the battery is dropping low though

07-30-2011   #16 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Facebook Fan

Yeah I know, I just plug it in and don't care for it since I don't use it anyway :| so unless I go out it'll sit there, plugged in no matter what >_>