Try 

Zero Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
07-18-2011   #1 (permalink)
and more came out
Games
AuditionFlyFFGunboundLa Tale

iFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud of
IGN: BANNED!
Default Mindless Ramblings

I feel this generation is deteriorating. The stuff that I used to enjoy is slipping away from my hands. Perhaps this is what nostalgia does. Maybe I am too blinded by the past to see the gems in the present. Kids growing up today are nothing like the kids who grew up yesterday. Dressed in outlandish and whorish outfits. Vulgar demeanor. Are they the product that pop culture and media has molded?

What happened to sitting on a lunch bench beneath a tree, discussing about video games and shenanigans? Inviting each other to our houses and drinking capri sun together. Those days are replaced by the Internet. No longer can we see our faces frequently, but rather we see our banal words on the digital screen instead.

The impact that the Internet has on our lives is becoming tremendously scary. The overuse/misuse of Internet slang and meme is sickening. I admit that I find some memes hilarious. But over time, it starts to become like a good joke being rammed down to the ground. Once you hear it once, you will never stop hearing it. Memes are becoming an echo. An annoying buzz scattering throughout the digital web. These annoyances, however do not bother me as frequently. Because, of course, this is the Internet. A place where we can hide behind our computer screens and act wildly and asinine. However, when these buzzings and annoyances cross the threshold between digital and real life, it becomes truely sickening. The mindless banter of memes that people are willing to say in the outside world is cringe-worthy. Their willingness to show their face behind the computer screen. Their willingness to act wildly and asinine openly. Their willingness to sprout overused and stupid memes. They are sickening and cringe-worthy. Has the Internet really made us this stupid?

Game companies that I enjoyed yesterday are now betraying my trust today. Squaresoft, Capcom, Rareware. 'Money makes the world go round' is a true saying. No longer do the widely known developers pour their heart into their creations. Microsoft paying for PS3 Vesperia to stay overseas(?), Other M abomination, MML3 Cancellation, Kinect, DLC's, the casualization of the Wii. The proud and true developers of the past have succumbed to their greed today. Their proud image has fainted away from my mind. Call of Duty, generic FPS'es and easy, baby, hand-holding games govern the gaming market today. And yet, many of the people who started off from these consider themselves to be 'hardcore' gamers. I suppose 'hardcore' gamers are now people who throw tirades across digitally at each other, hoping to garner some demeaning reaction for their amusement. Still, I linger on and hope for a change. A slight redemption is all I wish for.

When has gaming became socially acceptable while anime has become socially unacceptable as of this generation? Gaming and anime used to be side by side together in a nerd tent. Anime... Anime has changed. No longer are they ruled by unique and interesting stories, but rather are ruled by 'Moe'. Cute girls, doing cute things, in cute episodes. There is something odd when 90 percent of an anime's cast is female. Is this what otakus have been reduced to? Have we become so infatuated with cute girls doing cute, mundane, slice of life routines? 'Moe' is now the face of anime. And because of 'Moe', anime discussion in public is an opprobrium. But of course, I could be ignorant and wrong since I do not watch much anime anymore.

When I think of a reason for the deterioration of the things I used to enjoy, I come to the conclusion of money. Is money truly important? I suppose so. In the end, it seems money comes before dedication and devotion. 'Moe' sells. 'Casualization of gaming' sells. 'Sex' in media and pop culture sells. They have become mainstream. And as well as memes slowly. But of course, there will always be those few people who will put their heart before money. Obviously, not all of what I have said are entirely true. There are still games and anime in this generation that I have enjoyed. I could be just exaggerating. Maybe I am growing too old for these things and refusing to change to today's norms. Nevertheless, these are merely just ramblings of an online stranger that you will never meet. A stranger who is drowned in a sea of nostalgia and having trouble seeing the many great things of today.

gawd, I'm so bored right now.

TL;DR
Who's up for some Guilty Gear?!

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
07-18-2011   #2 (permalink)
Gluttony Fang
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRagnarok OnlinePerfect WorldPhantasy Star Online 2

Kisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud of
IGN: Excellence
Class: Platinum Lucifer lu_sieg
Level: Ace in Exile
Guild: Harkonen

/brofist

I feel your pain man, I feel it.

... But I don't have online to play Guilty Gear ;___;

| Adventus |

07-19-2011   #3 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

It's ok. We have still the diamonds in the shit to save us. When those diamonds disappear, then it'll be a sad day. But until then, have hope!

07-19-2011   #4 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

hatsune miku in toyota commercials. need i say more?

07-19-2011   #5 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineEden EternalMapleStoryRagnarok Online

Kusuriuri has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Kusuriuri Send a message via Skype™ to Kusuriuri

Ha ha, oh god Miku and Toyota. Already ridiculous in itself, and the fantards shat themselves in RAEG all over the internet, to boot. How hilariously tragic.

Memes, jesus christ sometimes I wish they would die. That's all I really have to say to that. I'll punch a baby if I hear "The Game" uttered anywhere one more time. It's old, stupid, and no one with any bit of intelligence gives a damn about it anymore, knock it off.

DLC's really struck a chord with me more than anything. I miss the days of buying expansion packs and getting new maps and characters to add onto the original game. Now we have DLC, which isn't something I'm against specifically, but eff everything about cutting content from the main game to package AS DLC, or shit like Day 1 DLC. Wat wat wat? Why are people okay with paying full price for a game that is not complete, and paying even more for that "extra" content that should have come with the game in the first place? That's the kind of DLC that really sets me off.

Also, single player games that require an internet connection. What even. Do not approve.

Also, as far as the anime thing, you can partially blame fanbases for helping to give others a rather negative view of certain fandoms and anime in general. Terrifying.

モノノ怪

07-19-2011   #6 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFarted
MML3 Cancellation
My heart stopped at this line....DEAR GOD WHYYY!!!???

~Thank you Shnao for the siggie~

07-19-2011   #7 (permalink)
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Games
Blade & SoulAdventure Quest WorldsDiablo IIIGuild Wars 2
Awards Twitter Fan

Poople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud ofPoople has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFarted
Other M abomination
I kind of agree but i enjoyed other M (I don't give 2 shits about the story though)

07-19-2011   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Spirit
Games
La TaleElswordDragon Nest

kmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of lightkmelfina is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: kmelfina/GoneAria/Slyphil
Class: Priest/Elementalist/BM lt_mage
Level: 24/17/1
Guild: Syraix

Kind of sad how this generation is turning out D=

More reality shows, tight clothing and ch@t sp33k on papers Dx

All I remember growing up was cartoon network (dexter's laboratory, PPG etc), toonami (someone good plot lined anime), and nickelodeon (Hey Arnold was the best).

07-19-2011   #9 (permalink)
Gluttony Fang
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRagnarok OnlinePerfect WorldPhantasy Star Online 2

Kisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud of
IGN: Excellence
Class: Platinum Lucifer lu_sieg
Level: Ace in Exile
Guild: Harkonen

Toonami ;___;

Why do you have to remind me ;___;

| Adventus |

07-19-2011   #10 (permalink)
Socially Awkward Penguin
Games
Cosmic BreakNostaleLa TaleGrand Chase
Awards Facebook Fan

cornpirde35 is a jewel in the roughcornpirde35 is a jewel in the roughcornpirde35 is a jewel in the roughcornpirde35 is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Corneal35/CORNmecha
Class: Ruinwalker\Engistar lt_treasurehunter
Level: 19X/16X
Guild: StarOcean

Aww man I grew up on Toonami I literally cried when I saw tom for the last time and I also miss games with a decent campaign/story mode that made sense. I even start to see the change in my school the Freshmen class acts way worse then the senior class and sadly the 8th graders behind them are no different. With anime its mostly the same thing with alot of um cute girl+big boobs+alot of questionable fan service = we got Ecchi a show, pretty much caused me to turn to manga but not all of them are like this though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmelfina
ch@t sp33k on papers Dx
lols my teacher graded a paper in chat speak lols Guess what the student got

Last edited by cornpirde35; 07-19-2011 at 08:36 PM.

07-19-2011   #11 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Habbo HotelRunescapeTrickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Nondi
Class: Pusher to_sheep
Guild: Celeste

Also, sex has always sold, memes have always existed, things becoming popular does not make them bad, and Miku Hatsune has always been a soulless marketing symbol.

07-20-2011   #12 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan

Adura has disabled reputation

Time to join AARP.

07-20-2011   #13 (permalink)
I like scenery *.*
Games
LuniaDragon Nest

CursedScar is just really niceCursedScar is just really niceCursedScar is just really niceCursedScar is just really nice
IGN: TangoDown
Class: Ryan lu_sieg
Level: 8x
Guild: Fusion

Maybe perhaps all of us are just growing up, and that things just seem better in hindsight. The world does not belong the same generation forever, and with each new generation comes changes. Perhaps our favorite forms of media will disappear along with the things they entailed, but not form of media stays relevant forever.

Sure the general populace may seem stupider, but maybe it's because you've become smarter, and are viewing them from a biased angle.

Just be careful, things viewed in hindsight are almost always bound to be biased.

07-20-2011   #14 (permalink)
I got bored.
Games
La TaleMapleStoryCosmic BreakElsword

Lime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: BelleGlacier
Class: Trap Highlander lt_warlord
Level: 195
Guild: Luminary

Hi Farted! I wanna play GIANT QUOTE BREAKDOWNNNNNNN! with you!

Spoiler!

When I was 11, which was like... in 1999, I lived in a neighborhood with lotsa drug dealers, and was taken out of my school and moved when someone threatened to shoot me... another 11 year old. They were pretty bad 12 years ago.

Spoiler!

Pretty sure the internet is just replacing the Phone as a communication channel. Remember the phone? How people would talk to each other for hours without meeting in person? That got used a lot. D;

Spoiler!

I thought we went over this with MTV and movies and music before. Who wants to act like spoiled, self-entitled partying teenagers with me? Or make melodrama about my lovelife while couples who actually BEEN through REAL problems scoff at me complaining about my GF when I obviously don't have my priorities straight when choosing one? Orrrr we could quote that one movie for over several years after it broke out in popularity at our school.

Though, I can admit that while the other formats GAVE people ways to relate, cracked articles have really been making a strong arguement that the internet has been deteriorating intrapersonal skills for the current generation. No wave of culture has ever really done that before.

Spoiler!

Hopefully you're not one of the people who complain about the existence of an easy mode when hard mode is just 2 clicks down on most games.

Granted, DLC is disheartening in most cases. but do you remember what Capcom gave us in the 90's ? Street Fighter II on the SNES. Do you know what they gave us later? Street Fighter II TURBO for the SNES, what was the difference? Just 4 more characters, a turbo mode, AND. The price of a WHOLE NEW CARTRIDGE. I unno, thinking back, It would have been nice if we only had to pay 10$ for all of that.

Now what is totally new and concerning, is the overreaching anti-piracy methods these companies are using. Ever since i heard about Ubisoft going as far as to require a constant connection for the PC version of assassin's creed, i have not bought ANY of their games, nor do i intend to anytime soon till i see them lighten up on this horrible practice. It's like the access to new technology is going to their heads at this point. Once you're inconviencing LEGIT customers just to get a little more in your pocket you;re going too far.

yes a little more money, cause lets face it, only people who know a tech-head or are one are getting their games pirated. Everyone else is stuck buying legit, or they stick to their older games. I know people who aren't into gaming that much, that's what they do.

Spoiler!

You say this as if DBZ didn't spark a plague of Shounen whose plots were paper-thin power up for eternity loops and we didn't go into months long fantasizing fits of being that awesome. but really, was being a fan of guys flying around and shooting beams due to physics unexplainable in RL ever much more accessible to the common people?

If you're referring to the fictional character adoring Moe brings. That's always been around too. Honestly, its toned down. Do you remember how many female anime characters from non-slice of life shows were portrayed with inhumanely large breasts? Depending on your viewpoint. Otaku moving on from 'BOOOBIEEEEEESSSSSSS' to focusing how cute girl characters act may or may not be a step up.

Gaming is only socially acceptable because AMERICAN games are on the rise; Call of Duty, Halo, the 100000 other FPS games or something like Dead Space, not to mention the sports games. The only Eastern series that really hold a mainstream candle to the likes of them are Mario and possibly Final Fantasy, maybe some Capcom here and there.

Spoiler!

Start looking at the content of downloadable/indie games, your heart may thank you Farted - v -

Last edited by Lime; 07-27-2011 at 07:52 AM.

07-20-2011   #15 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineEden EternalMapleStoryRagnarok Online

Kusuriuri has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Kusuriuri Send a message via Skype™ to Kusuriuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime
Ever since i heard about Ubisoft going as far as to require a constant connection for the PC version of assassin's creed, i have not bought ANY of their games, nor do i intend to anytime soon till i see them lighten up on this horrible practice.
Woah woah, I have to stop you there. If you kept tabs on these things, you'd know this wasn't entirely true anymore, due in part to the outrage against it. I own all three games on pc, as I do not own a ps3 or 360. I checked on AC2 before I bought it and others said it was no longer required. And indeed, my internet happened to go out while I was playing and the game went on as if nothing happened. Brotherhood? Turned comp on the other day to see the net was out (Our isp sucks, if you couldn't tell), so I decided to see if I could boot up ACB. Lo and behold, I was able to launch it and play, with our internet down.

No, I don't like the 'internet required to play single player games' thing either. But don't point out AC when Ubi's already dropped that requirement because people rightfully complained about it. Ubi's still not the best, though, I admit.

Also it is tedious as hell typing this with the on-screen keyboard, because my keyboard isn't working |:<

モノノ怪

07-20-2011   #16 (permalink)
I got bored.
Games
La TaleMapleStoryCosmic BreakElsword

Lime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond reputeLime has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: BelleGlacier
Class: Trap Highlander lt_warlord
Level: 195
Guild: Luminary

So common sense isn't totally dead. Thank goodness.

07-25-2011   #17 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Level: E
Guild: Hardcore

after reading the OP i was ready to say something but Justice's comic and lime's post summed it up quite well. anyway i'm pretty sure that's how everyone feels(even your parents and their parents felt) as they get older.

07-25-2011   #18 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Admin AwardStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin
IGN: Cecilia Juelle
Class: Monk/Goldsmith lt_treasurehunter
Level: 50
Guild: Rapscallions
Xfire: glarbage

ITT: The world is changing and I'm staying the same. I am displeased.

07-26-2011   #19 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Special Games
La TaleTrickster OnlinePangyaROHAN: Blood Feud
Awards MoM Award

Aria has disabled reputation

I miss the old days too. I miss how music, games and anime used to be, just how things were in general. I could be 50 years old one day and still won't get tired of the things I used to enjoy as a kid. I have to agree with, maybe 90% of what the OP said, only because I'm not much of a gamer and thus not familiar with those complaints.

But it's a bygone era and it seriously makes me sad as hell sometimes, knowing that things aren't the same anymore.

07-26-2011   #20 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Griever
IGN: Werewolf
Class: Healer to_buffalo
Level: 20
Guild: RustyHearts