Lord of the Rings Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
07-11-2011   #1 (permalink)
sorrow 'n sadism
Games
Eden EternalLuniaLeague of LegendsWorld of Warcraft
Awards MoM Award

m1s3ri has much to be proud ofm1s3ri has much to be proud ofm1s3ri has much to be proud ofm1s3ri has much to be proud ofm1s3ri has much to be proud ofm1s3ri has much to be proud ofm1s3ri has much to be proud ofm1s3ri has much to be proud of
Default something's not right here.

So there's this woman I work with who is ... maybe not the most talented at what she does. She recently changed career fields maybe a year or so ago and maybe hasn't adjusted quite as fast as some other people.

I just started a couple months ago and even I can already tell that she's really not as careful or as knowledgeable as she needs to be about some things. She occasionally comes off as a little rude, although I don't think she means it that way. Basically, she's got a few flaws as far as her professionalism and job skill goes. That said, it's not like she's really stupid or a total ***** or anything; I actually think she's a pretty decent person from the (relatively) little I know.

Anyway, the majority of the other people at work have a pretty low opinion of her and a couple of them including my boss are unreasonably rude to her. They're very quick to get on her case if she makes a mistake. A few days ago she asked me to make a call to a customer -- a quick deal, took maybe 5 minutes, I wasn't doing anything important, she had a ton of work. The second I got back to her with the info, she was getting scolded for "tasking someone else's subordinate without permission" and "not coordinating with the shift supervisor" despite the fact that they were both sitting in the room and probably heard her talking to me.

So I got to thinking "man I really wanna just stay out of this." I respect everyone involved overall, it's just this one point that kinda rubs me the wrong way. Then I realized ... that's really not the right thing to do, is it? She's basically being ostracized, but no one is willing to talk to her about it in anything less than an outright hostile manner.

Unfortunately, I don't really know what to do. Start off talking to her and encouraging her to try to work it out directly with them? Talk to my supervisors and ask if their treatment is really necessary? The most attractive option: try to stay out of it and not disturb the status quo, assuming that this is just how it goes?

tl;dr fml I dunno what to do but I hate feeling like I'm definitely wrong and not knowing how to fix it.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
07-13-2011   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlinePangya9DragonsDream of Mirror Online
Awards Facebook Fan

Rhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of lightRhinehart is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to Rhinehart Send a message via AIM to Rhinehart Send a message via MSN to Rhinehart Send a message via Yahoo to Rhinehart
Xfire: rhinehart

I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been any responses to this yet. But it should probably have been put in the Life & Relationships section. Not that it's a big deal to me, but someone's inevitably going to point that out.

But more importantly, I think you might want to do both. Talk to your superiors and let 'em know you think they're treating her unfairly and help her get through it personally, too. I'm sure the lot of you can find some middle ground, but it does seem like you should talk to all those involved.