League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
07-09-2011   #21 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Habbo HotelRunescapeTrickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Nondi
Class: Pusher to_sheep
Guild: Celeste

If I set the lawn on fire and then acted apathetic about it when I was 13, I would've gotten more than a spanking, just saying.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
07-09-2011   #22 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Admin AwardStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin
IGN: Kirinne
Class: Grenadier lt_treasurehunter
Guild: <Databased>
Xfire: glarbage

For thousands of years people have punished their children by spanking and the like. Now is the time that we start frowning upon it, and now is also the time that a lot of kids grow up in a therapist's office; when they reach adulthood, many of them continue to live in their parent's home until their 30s or after. Those that don't go off to college, where they drink and party every night.

The current generation of young people is generally disgusting. That's why they call us the entitlement generation; we grew up (and are still growing up) in such a manner that things are just handed to us, and we aren't punished in a fitting manner for our misdeeds. To the kids of this generation who actually grew up with this kind of lifestyle: **** you, good luck with adulthood; also, real life doesn't work this way.

07-09-2011   #23 (permalink)
Light's Pet
A little RUSTy.
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMapleStoryLuniaDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

Genji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud of

Personally, if the kid has psychological issues, then fight those in the like way.

Like making a mini-prison, but with no windows, the door locks outside, and there's a tiny slot for food.

07-11-2011   #24 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Trickster OnlineLa Tale
Awards Event WinnerSotW Beginner

Quebee is just really niceQuebee is just really niceQuebee is just really niceQuebee is just really nice
IGN: Quebee
Class: Soulmaster to_soulmaster
Level: 2xx

Well, he definitely deserved the spanking. :| I am also against hitting kids, but if I look at it this way: spank my child or let him possibly burn the lawn again, I'd go with spank the child.

IMO, if the child was disciplined by words, he wouldn't have burned the lawn in the first place since there is a rule: "Never play with fire." Unless the mom never mentioned that to the kid. (which I highly doubt.)

When I was a kid, there was a time when my mother hit me once and my dad told her to stop, but I told my dad that I deserved the spanking (I was like...5 that time?)I think that if the child would realize his mistakes, he might appreciate what the mom did no matter what the outsiders think of it. (:

07-11-2011   #25 (permalink)
Hanging by a Thread
Special
Awards Pervert Award

Guiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to allGuiles is a name known to all
Class: Some kind of mage shat lt_sorcerer
Guild: MyMMOGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vith
This isn't the random forum, responses here are usually pretty serious.
Obviously, a stern talking-to like this one would have saved the day. We all know that the character flaws known as personality and, to a lesser extent, arson would be instantly and righteously squashed out by this sort of matronly discipline.

Don't make me barf. It's so easy for self-righteous little snarks to say what someone did was wrong, but you'd never know what they'd do themselves if they got home to see that their only place to live was on fire.

07-11-2011   #26 (permalink)
Jon
♥ 09/07/13 to INFINITY. ♥
Games
Trickster OnlineElswordWonderKing OnlineEden Eternal
Awards Admin AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularGuide WriterWiki Task ForceWandering EyeArtifact HoarderPervert Award

Jon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiles
Obviously, a stern talking-to like this one would have saved the day.
Yes, because obviously the only form of punishment besides abuse would be a stern talking to.

Also, I'm sorry for being a self-righteous 'little snark'. Obviously, one that frowns upon abuse is viewed as a snob; some people are also able to control their emotions better than some other people that lose it quite well.

07-11-2011   #27 (permalink)
Eat.Sleep.Rave.Repeat.
Games
Grand ChaseLuna OnlineKingdom of LoathingTrickster Online

Lala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant future
IGN: Étoilée
Level: 30

In this situation, at his age, I say it's a beating (you can use spanking, if you want to sound politically correct, but it still is what it is.) I say this because, giving him a "talking to" or a lecture won't work. It's easy to see with his "Because I wanted to" attitude that anything you say will just not be taken in. He doesn't care. The whole talking to approach is really just talking at, it's going over his head or in one ear, out the other. And I think this whole send him to theropy whatever is just a cop out, an expensive one. Hit him until he learns. People keep saying "some person grew up like this because he got hit" and so on. Ok, put that statistic against the normal people who grew up fine even after being hit. I'd like to see the numbers.

But then again, like I said, it's culture. In my experience I've seen a lot of white parents just send their kids to their room, or some grounding crap when the kids completely mess up or disrespect them or something. Parents immigrating from other countries? Not afraid to beat some respect into kids, and they grow up fine.

What the mom did was right. A talking to after setting the lawn on fire, and potentially the house? What the hell kind of punishment is that? He almost set the freaking house on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
The current generation of young people is generally disgusting. That's why they call us the entitlement generation; we grew up (and are still growing up) in such a manner that things are just handed to us, and we aren't punished in a fitting manner for our misdeeds. To the kids of this generation who actually grew up with this kind of lifestyle: **** you, good luck with adulthood; also, real life doesn't work this way.
Completely agreed.

Last edited by Lala; 07-11-2011 at 10:57 AM.

07-11-2011   #28 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Griever
IGN: Werewolf
Class: Healer to_buffalo
Level: 20
Guild: RustyHearts

If you're some bleeding heart that honestly thinks spanking is bad for kids, please never have kids. Your kids are going to be little undisciplined ****s who push the button that blows up the world.

You honestly think if an arsonist in the making is told "no, Johnny, don't do that. Bad Johnny!" he's not going to do that again?

*****, please. He's going to set fire to the White House next.
The only way to nip this kind of behavior in the bud is to spank the kid.

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

07-11-2011   #29 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
MabinogiLa TaleEden EternalMapleStory

Routine has a spectacular aura aboutRoutine has a spectacular aura aboutRoutine has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Routine
Class: magic lt_sorcerer

I'ono, my parents never once hit me and yet I don't go around setting lawns on fire.

Though in that case I really can't help but feel the kid deserved it.

07-11-2011   #30 (permalink)
Honest Heart
Games
Adventure Quest WorldsAuditionDragon SagaGrand Chase
Awards Facebook Fan

NiBo is a splendid one to beholdNiBo is a splendid one to beholdNiBo is a splendid one to beholdNiBo is a splendid one to beholdNiBo is a splendid one to beholdNiBo is a splendid one to beholdNiBo is a splendid one to behold
Class: Not a psychologist
Level: 21
Guild: Gaap's Guild >_>

Hitting kids for doing stupid things doesn't work, they won't do it again 'cause they know they'll get hit, not 'cause "it's wrong". Also it's very reinforcing for the parent, as their child stop after being hit.
You won't whoop someone else's butt for burning your lawn, you'll sue them, it's a mature solution... can't sue a kid though but there's obviously other things that can be done. Physical punishment isn't one of them.
That woman was wrong, just put that kid in his bedroom or leave in a corner in the house and tell him the reason he's there without doing anything, super nanny stuff.
It's incredible how many people know only the violent method do "discipline" kids.

07-11-2011   #31 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Habbo HotelRunescapeTrickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Nondi
Class: Pusher to_sheep
Guild: Celeste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griever
If you're some bleeding heart that honestly thinks spanking is bad for kids, please never have kids. Your kids are going to be little undisciplined ****s who push the button that blows up the world.

You honestly think if an arsonist in the making is told "no, Johnny, don't do that. Bad Johnny!" he's not going to do that again?

*****, please. He's going to set fire to the White House next.
The only way to nip this kind of behavior in the bud is to spank the kid.

Spare the rod, spoil the child.
If the kid's an arsonist in the making he's going to need more than a spanking or a "stern talking to" to stop him.

07-11-2011   #32 (permalink)
Crescent Fresh
Special
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineLuniaPangya
Awards Facebook FanTwitter Fan

NoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond reputeNoeJeko has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to NoeJeko Send a message via MSN to NoeJeko Send a message via Skype™ to NoeJeko
IGN: NoeJeko
Class: Warrior lt_warrior
Level: 23
Guild: Kirameki

I became the person that I am today because my parents weren't afraid to beat me when I crossed the line. There's a line between discipline and abuse and although I got it pretty bad sometimes, I can say I was never abused and without fail deserved it every time. Also, every time many steps had been tried in the interim to no avail.

To the mother of this child: Based upon the story presented in this thread, KUDOS to how you handled this. Bravo for not being afraid to properly discipline your child when he could have destroyed your home and your neighbors' homes. Cheers for answering a gross act of willful disobedience with a punishment befitting the crime. You should be handed a medal for your courage to make the difficult decision and raise your child as you've been taught.
[ggFTW on Twitter][ggFTW on Facebook][NoeJeko on Twitter]

07-11-2011   #33 (permalink)
Eat.Sleep.Rave.Repeat.
Games
Grand ChaseLuna OnlineKingdom of LoathingTrickster Online

Lala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant futureLala has a brilliant future
IGN: Étoilée
Level: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiBo
You won't whoop someone else's butt for burning your lawn, you'll sue them, it's a mature solution... can't sue a kid though but there's obviously other things that can be done. Physical punishment isn't one of them.
The only thing is that it's YOUR kid. So yes, you "whoop his butt" for burning the lawn. I almost feel that people aren't getting that he burned the lawn, potentially burning down the whole house. A stern talking to? What the hell?
(I don't necessarily mean YOU exactly NiBo, just in general it feels like people are underestimating what the kid just did.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiBo
That woman was wrong, just put that kid in his bedroom or leave in a corner in the house and tell him the reason he's there without doing anything, super nanny stuff.
The kid is 13.. He's not staying in that corner lol. He'd probably just try to burn down that corner too. The Super Nanny things are, for the most part, for younger kids who actually don't know any better. At 13 years old, this kid should know better. And if not..

Hit him until he knows better.

07-11-2011   #34 (permalink)
Madoka★Magica
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Lucent HeartAi Sp@ceEden EternalDivina Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Kotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Shizuru
Class: Force 69 | Fighter 43 lu_eir

I got caned a lot as a child and young teen(!).

No biggie, I turned out okay. There's a difference between hitting to discipline and hitting to abuse. But yeah, that kid deserved every belt whip he got.

07-12-2011   #35 (permalink)
Light's Pet
A little RUSTy.
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMapleStoryLuniaDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

Genji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud of

A belt whip doesn't seem enough.

Something like a thorn branch from some rose bush, something my mom used to discipline my family with, would really put someone into line.

It's cheap, durable, effective, and is the perfect intimidation tool!

07-12-2011   #36 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

^ Thorn bushes would be too much I think. At least belt whips would only leave a mark. Thorns can make you bleed (and infect you) /paranoia

~Thank you Shnao for the siggie~

07-12-2011   #37 (permalink)
and more came out
Games
AuditionFlyFFGunboundLa Tale

iFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud ofiFarted has much to be proud of
IGN: BANNED!

I think physical discipline is justified depending on the severity of the damage caused by the child. Sometimes a good spanking would shake them right. In my opinion, a good parent can't always act in the child's favor. Sometimes, parents need to become the "bad guy" in order to set their children straight.

Because parents are the heroes children deserve, but not the ones they need right now. So the children will hate them because the parents can take it. Because they're not their heroes. They're a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight.

07-12-2011   #38 (permalink)
:l
Special
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

SlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond repute

ITT abusive parents in the making

07-12-2011   #39 (permalink)
DTF
Games
Trickster OnlineLuniaDragon SagaLa Tale
Awards MoM Award

Location: south of the north pole and north of the south pole
kale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond reputekale15 has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Kale15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revali

But this is where it gets good; The mother came home, she just got out the car, WITH a belt, and started spanking him.
this is my issue with this story, and I'll explain it with a story of my own:

You park your car at a meter, then without putting any money in it proceed to jaywalk across a semi-busy street to the coffee shop. You walk to the front of the line and place your order without even acknowledging the 4 people you walked past. You then receive and pay for your order walking out the door shoving past a man on crutches. You then proceed to jaywalk back to your car and get ready to leave. I then come up and without saying a word whap you 5 times on the butt with a hockey stick. Why did I spank you?

punishment without explanation isn't punishment, it's just abuse. In some instances like this almost arson like case, physical punishment could be a good response. Without explaining why the child won't understand what they did wrong, they will just think that their parent will hit them.

Oh, and the reason I spanked you was cause you didn't leave a tip.

07-12-2011   #40 (permalink)
Honest Heart
Games
Adventure Quest WorldsAuditionDragon SagaGrand Chase
Awards Facebook Fan

NiBo is a splendid one to beholdNiBo is a splendid one to beholdNiBo is a splendid one to beholdNiBo is a splendid one to beholdNiBo is a splendid one to beholdNiBo is a splendid one to beholdNiBo is a splendid one to behold
Class: Not a psychologist
Level: 21
Guild: Gaap's Guild >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidLatte
The only thing is that it's YOUR kid. So yes, you "whoop his butt" for burning the lawn. I almost feel that people aren't getting that he burned the lawn, potentially burning down the whole house. A stern talking to? What the hell?
(I don't necessarily mean YOU exactly NiBo, just in general it feels like people are underestimating what the kid just did.)

The kid is 13.. He's not staying in that corner lol. He'd probably just try to burn down that corner too. The Super Nanny things are, for the most part, for younger kids who actually don't know any better. At 13 years old, this kid should know better. And if not..

Hit him until he knows better.
Well you can leave him without TV, computer, games for a very long time. Lock him in a room without anything to play with instead of hitting. I've seen teenagers on super nanny, also, the interventions are different and work, too.
The thing is: treat kids as people. I mean, criminals aren't hit until they learn (sentence of death is out of question since it depends on the area), they go to jail, locked in cells mostly (there's those prisons where a lot of them stay in a big room with beds and stuff).
It's unfair, a kid being hit by someone bigger and stronger than him/her 'cause of something bad s/he did. An adult doesn't get hit by his/her boss if s/he does something wrong at work, s/he's warned or fired.
A maniac burns an entire house to the ground, he goes to jail, having just the basic stuff to live, and he know why he's there. Something similar should be done with the kid.