Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
10-20-2010   #1 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory
Default The new MSN Messenger is horrible

New as in the 2011 versions.

I can't tell who is really online and offline easily anymore and it doesn't show the number of people who are online in your groups.

And oversize ads all over the messenger is just crappy, eats so much memory just for a messenger.

I'll either roll back to the old version or just use pidgin once i find a way to port all my emoticons over.
It was a good idea to integrate everything, but all the features are so disorganized and badly integrated.

1. No more Nicknames
2. Names require both First and Last name
3. Can't click on group names to expand (You need to click on the arrow)
4. Width of the "compact" mode is very wider than it used to for no obvious advantages.
5. Ads seems bigger? maybe it is cause of the width.
6. The default emoticons was ugly and now it is uglier.
7. If they can integrate social feeds why can't they integrate all their live features. (Profile editting, name editting, password change etc.)

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

Last edited by kag; 10-21-2010 at 02:44 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
10-20-2010   #2 (permalink)
Take it easy!
Special
Games
World of Warcraft

Adun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud ofAdun has much to be proud of
Guild: [JW], Kirameki

Ow, and I was planning on using MSN again soon. Maybe I'll go Trillian or something.

10-20-2010   #3 (permalink)
ღ #нвιc 7.18.11
Games
Trickster OnlinePangyaGrand ChaseEden Eternal
Awards Pervert Award

AnaSyami has disabled reputation
IGN: AnaSyami
Class: #1 Everything.
Level: 75
Guild: AutoBots

:x I hate when you're so busy that sometimes you miss click and it happens to be the add._.;; then you have a internet explorer popping up ...

10-20-2010   #4 (permalink)
Retired
Special
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterTrickster OnlineLa TaleGunbound
Awards Retired Forum Moderator

zgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to zgmfx19a
IGN: Nek0 / Nek0Yasha(RIP)
Class: Zooks

Heard they removed functions like handwritting as well.

10-20-2010   #5 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

Wasn't aware they updated.

Doubt they fixed the bullshit error "Message can not be delivered to all recipients."
When absolutely nothing is wrong with your connection.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

10-20-2010   #6 (permalink)
Gluttony Fang
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRagnarok OnlinePerfect WorldPhantasy Star Online 2

Kisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud ofKisaragi has much to be proud of
IGN: Excellence
Class: Platinum Lucifer lu_sieg
Level: Ace in Exile
Guild: Harkonen

Just use Miranda

so lightweight and customizable, tho there's no handwritings :>

| Adventus |

10-20-2010   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Emil Chronicle OnlineGrand ChaseMabinogiLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Junior

Shnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond reputeShnao has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Eucleides
Class: Lime
Level: 75
Guild: Authority

Was waiting for a rant on this. lol Hopefully I can avoid updating to the latest as long as possible. >_< I heard you have to login to the mainsite just to change your IM name.

10-20-2010   #8 (permalink)
You're my prince... =)
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineLeague of LegendsLuniaTrickster Online

Yumidesu has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to Yumidesu Send a message via AIM to Yumidesu Send a message via MSN to Yumidesu Send a message via Yahoo to Yumidesu Send a message via Skype™ to Yumidesu
IGN: Amiez
Level: Bronze League
Guild: Titans
Xfire: pandaamy

..You're insane.

I love the new messenger. You can link pictures and videos from youtube, and it opens a box that automatically lets you view them in the MSN convo, and watch the videos too. You also have a compact/not compact view button on MSN, so that's really nice. There's also not the annoying bullets beside your sentences and stuff when you type more than one thing before someone else does. And the fact that your display name is your real name and all. Or whatever you signed up with. And the conversation window now has tabs you can use, so it's less clutter on your taskbar, which really helps.

Not sure what people have against this.

10-20-2010   #9 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnao
Was waiting for a rant on this. lol Hopefully I can avoid updating to the latest as long as possible. >_< I heard you have to login to the mainsite just to change your IM name.
Yea it uses the live name as your msn now.
And they have a dumb check in place now which forces you to put a First and Last name.
I gave up trying to bypass it and put a . for it. (So you can't use a nickname anymore, or maybe i haven't found the option)

I thought tabbed chats have been around for quite long or maybe it was my msn plus.

But it is so hard to tell a person online and offline in your list.
The compact isn't as compact as it used to, and i can't easily resize the window's width.

Maybe i'll just wait a while for new msnplus and see if they can fix those features that makes a messenger work like a messenger.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

Last edited by kag; 10-20-2010 at 11:01 PM.

10-20-2010   #10 (permalink)
I set fire to the rain
Games
Dragon NestLuniaValkyrie SkyDungeon Fighter Online

1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold1stsim144 is a splendid one to behold
IGN: Erliana
Class: Spirit Dancer lt_blader
Level: 70
Guild: Excallibur

I quit MSN because of this freaking update..
*searching for new replacement*

10-20-2010   #11 (permalink)
Madoka★Magica
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Lucent HeartAi Sp@ceEden EternalDivina Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Kotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: PSO2: Shizuru
Class: Techer | Force | Bouncer | Fighter 75 lu_eir

Just stick with 2010. 2011 is

Utter Fail.

'-'

10-21-2010   #12 (permalink)
Just like that!
Special
Games
Bloodline ChampionsS4 League
Awards Event WinnerSotW JuniorPervert Award

Mums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mums Send a message via Skype™ to Mums
IGN: Vik
Class: Mama to_fox
Level: ∞
Guild: Prisma

I wish I could go back to MSN 8. I've only had problems with MSN after MSN 9 and up.

Anyway... I'm not a fan of the new MSN, and if they skip out handwriting I'll most likely change messenger for something... else.

10-21-2010   #13 (permalink)
SOC
"God is my Judge."
Special
Games
La TaleFinal Fantasy XIRagnarok OnlineMapleStory
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

SOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to SOC
IGN: Fortuleo
Class: Duelist/Judgement lt_gunslinger
Level: 142/152
Guild: GoldenDawn

Yeah I hate it too... Though I do remember in an earlier version they had that name problem too, but it was soon fixed. Hopefully, enough people complain about it and we start seeing some reverts or options to reverts. I'm really glad that the tabbed conversations option (which is kinda' cool if you talk to a lot of people at once) is toggable though.

10-21-2010   #14 (permalink)
Jon
♥ 09/07/13 to INFINITY. ♥
Games
Trickster OnlineElswordWonderKing OnlineEden Eternal
Awards Admin AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularGuide WriterWiki Task ForceWandering EyeArtifact HoarderPervert Award

Jon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
And they have a dumb check in place now which forces you to put a First and Last name.
You can put in a fake last name, or anything you want as a first name. There are security options you can check where nobody can see what you put your last name as.

I put in a fake last name, but I kept my real first name. I've only been using my real first name as my nick on MSN for the longest time, anyway (I hate it when people use stupid and ridiculous nicks [such as '~``uSeRnAmE``~'], it's very unnecessary [probably why I only give out my MSN to people who I know personally now]).

10-21-2010   #15 (permalink)
SOC
"God is my Judge."
Special
Games

SOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud ofSOC has much to be proud of

^

But by doing that, it also changes the name that appears when you send an email to someone. So if you put a fake last name, if someone gets an email from you, they won't know it's from you. That's a major problem, especially because I use my hotmail for things like business applications and stuff.

And while I hate people who use names like ~'~:PiXiEfAiRyDuSt:~'~ too, being forced to change our whole account's name and be forced to include a last name in our messenger as well is even more unnecessary.

10-21-2010   #16 (permalink)
사랑해~
Special
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerMs. ggFTWMoM AwardSotW JuniorWandering EyePervert Award

Aimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't updated to this new version, and if I can avoid it I will. MSN is fine for me how it is. I wouldn't want my full name showing to everyone constantly [I dont like my 2nd name lol] and the new features that have been described here already aren't really needed for me.

10-21-2010   #17 (permalink)
Jon
♥ 09/07/13 to INFINITY. ♥
Games
Trickster OnlineElswordWonderKing OnlineEden Eternal
Awards Admin AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularGuide WriterWiki Task ForceWandering EyeArtifact HoarderPervert Award

Jon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOC
But by doing that, it also changes the name that appears when you send an email to someone. So if you put a fake last name, if someone gets an email from you, they won't know it's from you.
This is why you sign up with a fresh email for MSN, instead of using your main/business email address.

10-21-2010   #18 (permalink)
SOC
"God is my Judge."
Special
Games

I don't want to. I hate having to deal with multiple email addresses. I already have a school/work email that's somewhat public, and the one I'm currently using I've used since 8th grade. I'm not about to make any more and deal with them. MSN just needs to stay simple and nice, not give us this new crap that sucks bawls. I'm not against change, I'm against change that sucks and cannot be changed back.

10-21-2010   #19 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Games
LuniaSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRusty HeartsAika Online
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Metty

Sure do love editing the exe file so I never have to update my MSN. Think I'm still using 6 or 7.

10-21-2010   #20 (permalink)
SOC
"God is my Judge."
Special
Games

^

Yeah my sister does that too but it usually causes a lot of problems nowadays, like constant "unable to send/receive message to all reciepients" and junk.

More reasons why new MSN fails:

Lack of bullets when messaging, no toggability at all:

Horrid new emoticons with no way to revert but to make them into custom emoticons one by one, and even then, impossible to use same emoticons with same codes (IE, can't use :P any more to show the old MSN's :P):

You have to deal with this now any time you click a link in an MSN conversation:

Often times you get this and are forced to copy/paste the link into your browser, making much more un-needed effort: