06-12-2009   #1 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

slarron is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to slarron
IGN: Snuffy
Class: Awesomewizard ^_^ lu_dacy
Level: It goes up all the time :P
Guild: Nötarna (Swedish guild)
Talking People who pay in Free mmo games lol :D!

Theres one thing I always wondred about. And thats about the darn cash shops in free mmo games. Most people complain about that you dont want to pay to play a game. But listen to your self. Do you want to spend like 10$ for ITEMS in a game, and then they go away after like 1 month? Even more funny is when people spend more money for cash items then a MONTH cost for a game (WOW, Everquest etc). So I dont really get that . But is'nt that the same as playing a MMo game wich you pay once every month? But its still your own money so I guess you can spend like 50$ in a game with cash games then just pay like 12$ for 1 month and then have no need to buy stuff for $ in the game .

Well its funny thing when you think about it. Or is it maby just me who thinks about this stuff?

Anyway hope this will lead to something fun

/Slarron

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-12-2009   #2 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker

Hypocrisy will become famous soon enoughHypocrisy will become famous soon enough
IGN: Hypocrisy
Class: Knight
Level: 70+70+6x
Guild: Ti$$tans

Most people complain about $15 a month to play a really good MMO, but spend $50 a month to look cool(and to get ass-kissed) on a shitty F2P MMO.

That's not to say ALL F2P MMOs are shitty, just most of them are.

Hypocrites will be hypocrites.

Last edited by Hypocrisy; 06-12-2009 at 05:53 AM.

06-12-2009   #3 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Games
LuniaSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRusty HeartsAika Online
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Metty

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarron
Theres one thing I always wondred about. And thats about the darn cash shops in free mmo games. Most people complain about that you dont want to pay to play a game. But listen to your self. Do you want to spend like 10$ for ITEMS in a game, and then they go away after like 1 month? Even more funny is when people spend more money for cash items then a MONTH cost for a game (WOW, Everquest etc). So I dont really get that . But is'nt that the same as playing a MMo game wich you pay once every month? But its still your own money so I guess you can spend like 50$ in a game with cash games then just pay like 12$ for 1 month and then have no need to buy stuff for $ in the game .

Well its funny thing when you think about it. Or is it maby just me who thinks about this stuff?

Anyway hope this will lead to something fun

/Slarron
You're not alone in that thought, because it is the same as playing a P2P MMO. "No I wont pay £9(they usually come with a free month as well) to play a good graphics, great gameplay, 3D, very large game with stable community, no hacks, dedicated servers etc. BUT I'M GUNNA GO SPEND £20 TODAY IN THE CASH SHOP SO I CAN LOOK LIKE NARUTO ^_________________^ THEN DO IT AGAIN NEXT MONTH ^__________^"

Then there is the ones who give up on their 2D MMOs then say there isn't a F2P 3D one when given the example of Anarchy Online its "No those graphics are bad!" Yeah and your shitty 2D was better eh? The games a bit older, still has excellent gameplay, a good community, getting an update this month taking it from Directx7 to Directx9. Then they cry because "I can't get the last 20 levels out of 220 or play two out of like 14 classes because I'll have a free account!"

06-12-2009   #4 (permalink)
Lazy Lurkin'
Special
Games
Atlantica OnlineDofusTrickster OnlineRift: Planes of Telara

Javier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Javier
IGN: Ripchord
Class: Commando

A matter of personal taste.

I've played both P2P and free MMOs and which one I play is dependent on my schedule. When I was in high school I had all the time in the world to pay to play. These days Uni takes up most of my time so it's not cost-effective for me to play P2P games. I've drifted towards F2P games without game-breaking cash shops. And if the company is providing decent service, I wouldn't mine spending a few bucks occasionally on lolboxes or the sort.

It's the nature of my circuitry.

06-12-2009   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

Drarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the rough

If it counts for anything, P2P mmos GENERALLY have a better community. Take note that there are always exceptions, though.

Like it has been said, it all boils down to personal taste. However, you play games to have fun, so...

06-12-2009   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Supporter
Special
Awards Retired Division Head

Medoria is a glorious beacon of lightMedoria is a glorious beacon of lightMedoria is a glorious beacon of lightMedoria is a glorious beacon of lightMedoria is a glorious beacon of lightMedoria is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: Medoria
Class: Sorceress to_sheep
Level: 2X
Guild: Kitty Empire

If you enjoy it and can afford it why not? I typically play paytoplay games cause i -typically- hate most people in free communities (expect the world even though they are not paying anything, young teenagers who think their life is terrible cause they have homework and their parents make them clean their rooms, retarded flirting, etc). But sometimes I do not have enough time to warrant the 15 dollars a month I pay for a pay game. So it's nice to play a free game and pay 5 dollars to have the equipment you want so you don't have to waste your time grinding to get some gear. I figure people often go out and buy 50 dollar console games and play them for two weeks, so why not pay 10 dollars on a game that typically people play for at least a few months. If you are going to enjoy it for 10 dollars worth then why not? Cause it goes away? I mean we go to movies and pay way more than that and that only lasts an hour or two.

Kitty Empire Forever

06-12-2009   #7 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE

06-12-2009   #8 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Games

Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethane
Except that's not from the actual EVE online shop as far as I can tell.

06-12-2009   #9 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute

now that I look at it, there's something wrong there

A-Types are better than B-Types, hahah why are they charging more

06-12-2009   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Endgame has a spectacular aura aboutEndgame has a spectacular aura about

Yes, they're stupid for shelling out $30 or so a month for Cash Shop items when they could pay $15 a month for WoW, which has MUCH more content and quality than the game they're buying items for.

.....But do we REALLY want those people on WoW? WoW has enough idiots as it is. (See: The morons currently whining about the upcoming mount changes. Leveling up alts becomes much less tedious?! THEY'RE CATERING TO THE "CASUALS"! No morons, NINTENDO is catering to casuals and making us suffer for it. Blizzard is just SAVING US ALL TIME!)

06-12-2009   #11 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

tbqh the biggest idiots I've ever seen are on Eve

06-12-2009   #12 (permalink)
C.I.A. Rad Bromance
Games
Trickster OnlineAuditionGrand ChasePangya
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardWandering Eye

Torikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond reputeTorikakae has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Torikakae Send a message via Yahoo to Torikakae Send a message via Skype™ to Torikakae
IGN: Torikakae
Class: Buffalo to_buffalo
Level: 400
Guild: Mirage Coordinator

One way I see it is that on F2P games, having cash shop items makes one feel like "members of the elite circle" or something like that. Not everyone on F2P will of course spend money on the game, so the few who do would feel special. So it's like paying for prestige~

Short version: Cash shop = e-penor. That's not the whole truth but it's one way to look at it~ *glares at Audition elitists*

~Thank you Shnao for the siggie~

06-12-2009   #13 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endgame
Yes, they're stupid for shelling out $30 or so a month for Cash Shop items when they could pay $15 a month for WoW, which has MUCH more content and quality than the game they're buying items for.

.....But do we REALLY want those people on WoW? WoW has enough idiots as it is. (See: The morons currently whining about the upcoming mount changes. Leveling up alts becomes much less tedious?! THEY'RE CATERING TO THE "CASUALS"! No morons, NINTENDO is catering to casuals and making us suffer for it. Blizzard is just SAVING US ALL TIME!)
Theres other P2P MMOs out there then WoW. Anarchy Online has both F2P and P2P versions, only difference is 20 levels and expansion packs. EvE online has like 7(Ethane would know more precisely) expansions or something and has been around about as long as AO, both of which have decent communities. Warhammer Online also has a decent community and gets its expansions in the form of patches with live events. Age of Conan I have no clue about as it never interested me.

Only gripe I have with the mount change(Paladin and Warlock) is what happens to the epic quest lines for them? Will they stay in game and end up being doable at 40 and thus not be as epic as they were, stay at 60 and make no sense at all on why to do them other then the tabard for the horde paladins, or will they be retconned thus making newer generations of players not get to experience them? Sadly MMO-Champion doesn't have the answers to those. At least its less grinding for me if I ever go back to WoW and level a new toon or decide to level my shaman or rogue from 70 to 80 since they were my only two without epic flying, DK and druid did though. Game needs more quests like the epic mount and epic flying chains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torikakae
One way I see it is that on F2P games, having cash shop items makes one feel like "members of the elite circle" or something like that. Not everyone on F2P will of course spend money on the game, so the few who do would feel special. So it's like paying for prestige~

Short version: Cash shop = e-penor. That's not the whole truth but it's one way to look at it~ *glares at Audition elitists*
That epen sure comes in handy when they end up failing at the game eh?

Last edited by Metty; 06-12-2009 at 09:10 AM.

06-12-2009   #14 (permalink)
I like scenery *.*
Games
LuniaDragon Nest

CursedScar is just really niceCursedScar is just really niceCursedScar is just really niceCursedScar is just really nice
IGN: TangoDown
Class: Ryan lu_sieg
Level: 8x
Guild: Fusion

Some of us like me, just shell out 60$ to buy CoD and Halo. Although there are hacks, some people are way too dedicated to those FPS's that it ends up being good for people like me :P

06-12-2009   #15 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

I have never paid real life currency for cash shop items =D. In game currency for cash shop items, are a different thing =).

06-12-2009   #16 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

Sometimes a game will throw in very nice Limited Edition Items in the cash shop, in which case some people will drop their money for it before it goes away. Even if they aren't a big spender to begin with. (Guilty)

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

06-12-2009   #17 (permalink)
(^▽^#)ノシ
Special
Games
Alicia
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

Kowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Kowiz

You, and that hard core gamer pay $15 a month to play a game
You have no time to play, that guy plays 24/7
At the end of the month, you are still a lowbie, and that guy is at the highest level, doing epic quests

Why are you paying $15, just to get less than that guy?

Take that money, put it into a F2P game, and that money would take you further.

06-12-2009   #18 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
Sometimes a game will throw in very nice Limited Edition Items in the cash shop, in which case some people will drop their money for it before it goes away. Even if they aren't a big spender to begin with. (Guilty)
Yeah, like TRUCKSTER, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowiz
At the end of the month, you are still a lowbie, and that guy is at the highest level, doing epic quests

Common sense dictates that the user will play P2P games because they know they have the time to do it. orz

Then again, if the game is well worth the play regardless of the availability in hours to spend your time on it, I would still do it.

Last edited by WhatThePho; 06-12-2009 at 01:10 PM.

06-12-2009   #19 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special

Shirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Shirakani
IGN: Kyoji
Class: Shootin' Mah Balls
Level: 130
Guild: Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowiz

This. ****ing This. A thousand times this.

I used to play WoW, back before it got nerfed to suit casuals and was less PUGgable. I paid the same $15 as teh guy next to me... But coz i have a job, family, etc, i could barely put in 2-3 hours a day, if even that... and some days not at all.

At the end of 3 months of play, i had trash gear... suffered through any content, any pick up group i got into was retard laden and i barely got a chance at any drops. Frustrated me to the point where i simply began ninja'ing all the loot i wanted. I had no time to rerun the damn ****ing instance OVER AND OVER, they do... Of course ninja'ing gets you blacklisted in the community, so i got nowhere in the end.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't... p2p games are ALL ABOUT TIME AND LACK OF LIFE. The strongest is the one with NO LIFE AT ALL and plays 20+ hrs a day. Why in the holy **** should i pay for the same game and get MUCH less?

Now ppl are going to tell me 'if you can't put in the time then don't play'. Fine, i didn't play. I quit before too long because i was getting nothing but frustration for my money. I don't pay to play a game to get frustrated. Is it fair that the 'full experience' of a game should ONLY be allowed to those with absolutely no life? I don't think so and neither do a lot of MMO companies nowadays. MMO's have gone from catering to the hardcore no-lifers, to the casuals for a very good reason.

Now an f2p game, money is a DIRECT tradeoff for time, for most of them. It allows someone with a job, family, etc a chance to actually experience the ENTIRE game, rather than just a portion of it that's was exclusive domain of the no-lifer. Rather than paying $15 a month for a portion of the game, I can now have the choice to play, and if i realize the game doesn't suit me, i can stop playing and lose nothing. If i decide it's worth continuing but have to pay money to succeed as i get further... that's fine, that same money is subsidizing the standard amount of TIME that would be required in a p2p environment.

Not to say all f2p's are good, ie, Truckstar, but ones like Atlantica are very balanced and fair to all. Those with time can go ahead and obtain pretty much anything for $0.00, they just must sink EPIC amounts of time in. Those with no time, can pay some money and arrive at EXACTLY THE SAME POINT. Options for both crowds = win/win in my book.

06-12-2009   #20 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special

Took me 450 days of pure training to get me to my t2 battlecruiser in Eve

The nice thing is, you just set the skill to train and it does so automatically. You turn off the client, come back whenever it's finished (and on some skills this is 30-60 days)

to me that's an improvement over killing monsters over and over and over and over and over at a .001% exp gain rate