Vindictus
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Vindictus

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-08-2009   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

fieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura aboutfieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Look behind you and ask them.
Default It's Been a Long Time...

I never thought I'd see myself posting a thread in the rant section ever again.

I'm gonna vent some steam, and then perhaps try to forget how to click "New Thread" in this section. Since it used to be Trickster that got my blood boiling, it's only appropriate that my first rant in ages returns to my roots, no? So, since it's a game-based rant you can already assume it to be something trivial and nothing that delves into the greater issues of life.

You can skip to the end if you're the type to tl;dr things. I've even taken the liberty of bolding the main point of this longwinded rant to take away from the inconvenience your eyes must have endured. Would you also like a complementary mint on your pillow with that?

Ever since Raccoon and Fox boxes came out, it's more or less been time for me to dust off the old trickster.bin, cuz I've got some leveling to do. My latest rant finds me 70% away from 210 with my dear second-in-command, Mon_Ami, non-boost as usual (would you really have it any other way?).

During my latest card-throwing frenzy in Tabasco Field 1, I noticed a little sheep in a graduation hat, whose level range was made quite apparent by the rubber duckie icon that perpetually floats next to her head. Anyone who's known me in the past knows my stance on looters, but that's an old rant locked away in the bowels of MT, so there you are.

Anyway, as I'm reaching for that fraction of a fraction of a level with every skill cast and melee whack, I notice something... most peculiar. That newbie skill card I always wanted but could never ever get for each of my pre-revo characters, which coincidentally is yet another old rant, is being used for ill intent. In the true leecher tradition, what we had here was a newbie sheep attempting to snipe herself some TM from the unsuspecting high-level masses with the Magical Soul spell, which as you all know by now auto-tags its target whether it hits or misses. Now, considering how I feel about TM, this was entirely unacceptable. So, I humored myself by watching this poor sheep kamikaze into things I was about to attack, and just let the level 330+ salamanders one-shot the level under-20 sheep repeatedly and then attack them once she's dead. But this is a game I've no patience for. I've got boxes to open and pets to give, so I whispered her, and insisted that she stop or else I pull the entire map on her, since she wants to tag them so badly.

She immediately retorts with a justification for her actions, saying that one decimal of a percentage of my TM would equal multiple TM levels for her, thus saving her a lot of time. This is true, but I reply that just waltzing up and entitling herself to the TM I've spent 209 levels working on to earn legitimately is not her decision to make, at which point she calls me greedy for not willingly wanting to give up what she deems an insignificant amount of TM for me so that she can shortcut her merry way to the endgame.

This is where I'm outraged. The idea that you can decide to come take what's rightfully mine because it benefits you more, without asking my consent or receiving my permission, no less, and then consider my objections to this line of thought greedy is insulting indeed. The idea that I'm supposed to let an immeasurable mass of graduation hats with rubber duckie icons pop in whenever they please (possibly all at once) to siphon my TM because it's insignificant for me in their eyes is absurd.

First off, that little decimal is not insignificant for me. That little decimal brings me one step closer to my goal of another TM level, and your logic states that my TM shouldn't grow at all because each individual gain is so minuscule, and thus I should give it to the needier, the more deserving. That's the problem I have here. Not that she needed it. Not that she didn't ask first, but that she honestly felt she had the right to come along and take something from someone else because she felt she had a greater use for it. Which is the base problem I've had with looters ever since they sprouted up in high-level areas. But again, another rant.

Why has it become so okay not to work for your levels and TM in this game? And I'm not even talking about MyShop and boosters. Lowbies have episode quests that will take them straight to 30 if they just take the time to do them, but they don't. Instead, first chance they get the find a ppd and port to endgame content to take from high-level players, the majority of which these days probably did what they did and then take the hypocritical stance that the lowbies are leeches. I have never gained a level in this game except that I earned it through my own effort, and so I have no sympathy for the struggling lowbie who decides to grow through the efforts of others.

The point, because even fieryshadowcard eventually has to get to one:

This is a game. Your characters do not wither away and die if not provided for. Your level 35 weaksauce buffalo does not need that Pharoah Set just to make it to the pharoah. Using the same argument that is perfectly reasonable in real life for the impoverished does not work here. Your character's survival is not at stake; you're just lazy. I'm not some callous bastard who wants to make your life as uncomfortable as possible, either; I just believe in doing work when the work is capable of being done. So do your own damn work and don't blame others for any delays to your instant gratification. You know the people I help in-game? The people minding their own goddamn business in Southeast/Southwest forest trying to get that exp the most satisfying way I can think of--on their own. I offer my help to them, because I don't need to be saturated by whiny booster babies who measure their success in this game by how quickly they hit 200 and how little work they had to do in the process. I'd much rather surround myself with the company of people who actually bothered to play this fricking game instead of take a shortcut straight to the end so they'd have more time to measure their fricking egos.

TrueSilverFox and Mon_Ami roamed Caballa together in Trickster Online, searching its ruins of splendor.

Valeria, sworn only to her sword and herself, traverses Erinn in Mabinogi with her pet silver fox, Truesilver.

"Whoa, TrueSilverFox, girl! Anyone ever tell you you look like some sun-bronzed Greek Goddess these days?"

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-08-2009   #2 (permalink)
VIP

VorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond repute

When I played Ragnarok Online, everyone in the Glast Heim cemetery thought it was their right to loot the Dark Lord once it died and take whatever it dropped, even though they were some noobsauce acolyte dropping heal bombs on it, and didn't have anywhere near enough HP to tank the bloody thing, which was what I was doing. My solution? Arrow Charge the boss right into their face, and ensure everyone I saw on my screen was a dead person, because if any looter thinks they are entitled to my kill, I would prefer them better off dead. So I made sure they were. The result? I became known as a jerk and the living death because I decided it was within my right to dump a boss on some underpowered, self righteous noob who was audacious enough to leech exp and items off the boss, but not strong enough to tank it.

With that said, you were too kind. I would not have even given that sheep the time of day. I would have made sure that sheep died 20 times, and got the message on death #21. If not, there's just more luls added to my day. Leechers are in a place they should not be, taking things that do not belong to them. Showing no mercy and putting every last one into the grave is nothing short of absolute justice 8D

06-08-2009   #3 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE

You know what's better than stealing someone's rare and hard-earned loot? Trapping them in the process and demanding a ransom or you kill them and take all their equipment. They pay up, and you kill them anyway, taking the loot, their EQ and moneys.

Sure, the PVP Bushido and "honorable" players will look down on you for it, but in the end you're richer and the victim, hopefully, is smarter for it.

You guys really should give the ruthless approach a try.

06-08-2009   #4 (permalink)
Irish Wristwatch

Jpen has a spectacular aura aboutJpen has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Inkling/Inimical
Class: Gladiator/Cyber Hunter
Level: 15x/195
Guild: pure rage

view the effects of the welfare society, and people thinking they deserve, instead of earn

"Give me a Hug"
Currently working on:
Inkling 4123 Pure AP Gladiator
Inimical 1144 Hybrid AC/LK Lion

06-08-2009   #5 (permalink)
Scythe <3
Games
ElswordGrand Chase

Shoo is a name known to allShoo is a name known to allShoo is a name known to allShoo is a name known to allShoo is a name known to allShoo is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Shoo Send a message via MSN to Shoo
IGN: Shoo
Class: Everyone :O
Level: Aiming for 60+ ea
Guild: ggFTW

some people in the welfare soceity are there because they really can't afford the daily necessities. some people are in the welfare society and STILL work their butts off in lower-than minimum waged jobs like babysitting just to feed their family. said people can't get any other jobs due to their lack of education and knowledge of the english language. stereotypes are bad and prejudiced. -.-

06-09-2009   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

Drarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the rough

Oh god and I thought I wasn't the only one who actually tried Trickster again lol.

But I got bored after a day so that settles it. The price of EVERYTHING is way over the roof and keeping up with the latest Myhax is just ridiculous. One of the main attractions of the game for me; bosses; has been taken, put in a blendtec together with crap and piss and thrown back out in the most messy way possible, so the game is basically nothing but a bore to me now.

With regards to that you're saying, YES, those are one of the most annoying people out there. I might be generalizing with the next statment, but rich, pampered people tend to behave like this too. I don't like them at all.

I deal with quite a few of these people everyday and it really brings down my mood like no other. The "never satisfied" mentality kicks in like hell here; stuff like "Waah I don't have the highest grade laptop even though the one I ALREADY have is really good" gets REALLY annoying after time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VorpalBunny
When I played Ragnarok Online, everyone in the Glast Heim cemetery thought it was their right to loot the Dark Lord once it died and take whatever it dropped, even though they were some noobsauce acolyte dropping heal bombs on it, and didn't have anywhere near enough HP to tank the bloody thing, which was what I was doing. My solution? Arrow Charge the boss right into their face, and ensure everyone I saw on my screen was a dead person, because if any looter thinks they are entitled to my kill, I would prefer them better off dead. So I made sure they were. The result? I became known as a jerk and the living death because I decided it was within my right to dump a boss on some underpowered, self righteous noob who was audacious enough to leech exp and items off the boss, but not strong enough to tank it.

With that said, you were too kind. I would not have even given that sheep the time of day. I would have made sure that sheep died 20 times, and got the message on death #21. If not, there's just more luls added to my day. Leechers are in a place they should not be, taking things that do not belong to them. Showing no mercy and putting every last one into the grave is nothing short of absolute justice 8D
Awesome stuff, yet again. On the topic of Ragnarok Online, I remember playing the MyRagnarok server for quite a while and I remember a certain whiny brat who wouldn't stop at complaining how he couldn't get (big acheivement) easily, even though he already has a TON of them. And then I proceed to tell him about how difficult it is to obtain (small acheivement) on it's own and what do I get in return? More whiny shit, and getting told how "easy" it is to get those (small acheivements). Sorry, but I have a life outside of a Ragnarok Online Private Server. I don't remember his name, but these are the kind of people that I just DESPISE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethane
You know what's better than stealing someone's rare and hard-earned loot? Trapping them in the process and demanding a ransom or you kill them and take all their equipment. They pay up, and you kill them anyway, taking the loot, their EQ and moneys.

Sure, the PVP Bushido and "honorable" players will look down on you for it, but in the end you're richer and the victim, hopefully, is smarter for it.

You guys really should give the ruthless approach a try.
Every time you tell a story I feel like playing EVE Online. And then I remember the PAY TO WAIT gameplay and that BIG incident and it all goes away.

Last edited by Drarin; 06-09-2009 at 06:27 AM.

06-09-2009   #7 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Admin AwardStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin
IGN: Kirinne
Class: Grenadier lt_treasurehunter
Guild: <Databased>
Xfire: glarbage

Things like this are why you should come back to me in Mabinogi :v

06-09-2009   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

fieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura aboutfieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Look behind you and ask them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glarbage
Things like this are why you should come back to me in Mabinogi :v
I technically haven't "left" Mabinogi in the same sense that I haven't "left" Trickster, Glarbage. TO and Mabi are two MMOs that have left a great impression on me, so I can never truly leave them, and Mabi has not pissed me off--I just got lonely.

@Vorpal: The only experience I have with RO is on a private server, where they had an auto-loot function and then they put in a "highest damage on target gets first dibs" thing to prevent that. The asshattery I had to endure was watching people Dead/Bloody Branch the portals into Clock Tower Basement 4. The private server even had their own donation items, such as pokeballs which released some of the more overpowered non-boss monsters to fight alongside their summoner. *enters CT Basement 4, then dies instantly* The Acidus herd... oh, god, the Acidus herd....

@Ethane: Don't get me wrong. There are times when I do enjoy pissing people off, but not in MMORPGs. My thing is any FPS I play (because I'm more into doing stupid stuff to kill people than taking the game seriously) or Fighting games (because I've got a fighting style that crosses over into every fighter I play that makes people just want to kill me, and I humor myself while watching them try, fail, and then curse very, very much on or off the controller). But something very community-based like an MMO, I don't get any joy from it.

@Jpen: I agree with Dib on this one. There are people under welfare who act like they deserve handouts, but a lot of people are out there working all day every day and still barely able to make ends meet. The reason real life poverty entered into my rant is because I wanted to point out the virtual safety net in a game with no starvation, death and/or permanent loss.

@Drarin: Yeah, I really miss the old bossing system. There were issues with it in terms of fairness, but they were much more easily dealt with by going in parties which was a lot more likely because just being able to hang out in the boss lairs provided a much more community-based casual feel, which was great because TO is and always has been a casual game. The old way bossing went allowed me to meet some of the coolest people I've known in-game, many of whom found their way to MT. I would give anything to see 50+ people in Tut's lair drilling and then smiting him down once he spawns. But nowadays, I'm lucky to make it into the boss room at all. And actually fighting, let alone killing the boss is an entirely different story altogether.

TrueSilverFox and Mon_Ami roamed Caballa together in Trickster Online, searching its ruins of splendor.

Valeria, sworn only to her sword and herself, traverses Erinn in Mabinogi with her pet silver fox, Truesilver.

"Whoa, TrueSilverFox, girl! Anyone ever tell you you look like some sun-bronzed Greek Goddess these days?"

06-09-2009   #9 (permalink)
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlinePangyaROHAN: Blood Feud
Awards MoM Award

Aria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there are two sides to every story so I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. It'd make more sense if she were autotagging the salamanders for a friend to kill, or if she were double clienting another char to kill it for her own gain. Whether you object to that or not, the fact remains that it's common practice in TO nowadays. What doesn't make sense is if she's just randomly tagging monsters and hoping that her faster-casting noobie spell will let her steal the TM before you cast yours - that's just ks'ing, and I'm not even gonna go into the whole "stealing TM" argument as far as she's concerned, because that kind of intentional ks'ing is a pain in the ass no matter what.

As for whether it's legitimate to "steal TM" and not "work for your own levels" in this game, my take on it is that it depends. If she really were a complete noobie and either played that sheep as her very first character, or hasn't advanced another beyond 100, 200, and so on, then I would agree that people like that should (in the loosest sense of the word) try working their own way up, out of good sportsmanship or whatever. I don't think the argument equally applies though to more experienced players who're simply creating multiple new characters, for whatever reason (to try out all the classes, for PvP, for storage mules, etc) and wish to skip all the repetitive quests that they've been accustomed to doing since they first started. Take me for example. I've already reached 7~8 characters in total, and by the time I make my 9th one, a pure WT mule (which I have done), I honestly have better things to do with my time than wasting hours repeating the same old base/TM quests again... for a freaking mule. By that stage, it has become a question of "laziness" and convenience, but that doesn't negate the fact that I (like anyone else who may be doing the same) have genuinely worked for a majority of my levels and experienced the game as it's meant to be experienced, without any "easy way out". In fact, that's the kind of things that most experienced players will eventually be doing, because once you've tried it all, you'll be looking for convenient shortcuts to enhance your gameplay, and we all know noobie grindfests suck.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, "leeching TM" is not necessarily illegitimate, depending on the circumstances and the experience of the player concerned. While I've never leeched TM before using that autotag method, I've power leveled a lot of my own mules to second job without playing them directly, so I think the principle's the same. When you see someone leeching TM, it may be that they're already an old hand? And if they aren't (which isn't always easy to tell) then I guess you're right to dismiss them as you see fit. What I don't get is why that noob sheep couldn't have changed channel or just moved to another part of the map o_o Debating with other players about what you're entitled to in a friggin' game is pretty pointless, especially over something that minor.

06-09-2009   #10 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special

Shirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Shirakani
IGN: Kyoji
Class: Shootin' Mah Balls
Level: 130
Guild: Minerva

Game? Truckstar is a game? News to me, when did this happen? Last i checked it was nothing but a virtual itam mall designed to rip kids off... How things change indeed!

For your sanity, stay away, lol.

Tho that being said i've been tempted to reinstall it and pop back on my old dragon just to see how horrendously weak I am now compared to the latest myshawp lulz. What's the norm nowadays? Everyone has their prime stat over 1500 i take it? 2000+ HV, 1500+ MA, etc is the standard?

Naturally over 9001 dorras on MYSHAWP is needed to get there.

06-09-2009   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

Drarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novocaine
Well, there are two sides to every story so I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. It'd make more sense if she were autotagging the salamanders for a friend to kill, or if she were double clienting another char to kill it for her own gain. Whether you object to that or not, the fact remains that it's common practice in TO nowadays. What doesn't make sense is if she's just randomly tagging monsters and hoping that her faster-casting noobie spell will let her steal the TM before you cast yours - that's just ks'ing, and I'm not even gonna go into the whole "stealing TM" argument as far as she's concerned, because that kind of intentional ks'ing is a pain in the ass no matter what.

As for whether it's legitimate to "steal TM" and not "work for your own levels" in this game, my take on it is that it depends. If she really were a complete noobie and either played that sheep as her very first character, or hasn't advanced another beyond 100, 200, and so on, then I would agree that people like that should (in the loosest sense of the word) try working their own way up, out of good sportsmanship or whatever. I don't think the argument equally applies though to more experienced players who're simply creating multiple new characters, for whatever reason (to try out all the classes, for PvP, for storage mules, etc) and wish to skip all the repetitive quests that they've been accustomed to doing since they first started. Take me for example. I've already reached 7~8 characters in total, and by the time I make my 9th one, a pure WT mule (which I have done), I honestly have better things to do with my time than wasting hours repeating the same old base/TM quests again... for a freaking mule. By that stage, it has become a question of "laziness" and convenience, but that doesn't negate the fact that I (like anyone else who may be doing the same) have genuinely worked for a majority of my levels and experienced the game as it's meant to be experienced, without any "easy way out". In fact, that's the kind of things that most experienced players will eventually be doing, because once you've tried it all, you'll be looking for convenient shortcuts to enhance your gameplay, and we all know noobie grindfests suck.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, "leeching TM" is not necessarily illegitimate, depending on the circumstances and the experience of the player concerned. While I've never leeched TM before using that autotag method, I've power leveled a lot of my own mules to second job without playing them directly, so I think the principle's the same. When you see someone leeching TM, it may be that they're already an old hand? And if they aren't (which isn't always easy to tell) then I guess you're right to dismiss them as you see fit. What I don't get is why that noob sheep couldn't have changed channel or just moved to another part of the map o_o Debating with other players about what you're entitled to in a friggin' game is pretty pointless, especially over something that minor.
Unfortunately "leeching TM" isn't only the problem there. Once she tags the monsters, it will remain tagged for a while; this would slow down the levelling of others in the map because they have to wait until the tag disappears. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Also, don't get me started on the annoying people who left monsters at 10% health because they couldn't one-shot them and just ignored them, leaving others in the map with NO EXPERIENCE to gain. They gained EXP anyway, since TO awards you EXP on how much damage you deal to a monster.

06-09-2009   #12 (permalink)
sɪlvər
Awards Retired Content StaffPervert Award

Silver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Silver Rook Send a message via AIM to Silver Rook Send a message via MSN to Silver Rook Send a message via Yahoo to Silver Rook Send a message via Skype™ to Silver Rook
IGN: Silver
Class: Ag
Level: 47
Guild: Transition Metals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drarin
Unfortunately "leeching TM" isn't only the problem there. Once she tags the monsters, it will remain tagged for a while; this would slow down the levelling of others in the map because they have to wait until the tag disappears. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Also, don't get me started on the annoying people who left monsters at 10% health because they couldn't one-shot them and just ignored them, leaving others in the map with NO EXPERIENCE to gain. They gained EXP anyway, since TO awards you EXP on how much damage you deal to a monster.
Oho, you just reminded me how much I loved to tag all of the monsters in a certian, particular, heavily grinded map with skunk pouch and AOE skunk..

This is Kyuubey

06-10-2009   #13 (permalink)
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlinePangyaROHAN: Blood Feud
Awards MoM Award

Aria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond reputeAria has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drarin

Yeah, I hate it when they do that. But with the noobie mage skill, I don't think it's as bad as sheep's elemental ones. Those leave the tag on for the longest time and it's like they never go away.