ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community


Go Back   ggFTW Forum > Off Topic > Rant Forum

League of Legends
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

8.3

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
05-19-2009   #21 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Drarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)
Drarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosReaper
No love for Abons? D;

Ahh well, guess the only thing you can do to that lecturer is -1 him. Write it on the board or something lol.
-1? Huh?

Also there isn't a board so that sucks. Also abons are cute I just use their name as censors.
__________________
 
Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
05-20-2009   #22 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Stalker
ChaosReaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 37 49' S 澳洲 144 58' E
Posts: 353
iTrader: (0)
ChaosReaper is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drarin
-1? Huh?

Also there isn't a board so that sucks. Also abons are cute I just use their name as censors.
Lol, that sucks. You could've written "-1" on the board (if there was one), and if he asks what's it for, Just say its for calculating perpendicular tangents with the physics of the game.

And lol @ abons being a censor. I would have used a less subtle term like Omnomnom'ing lol
 
05-20-2009   #23 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special
Shirakani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (0)
Shirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Shirakani
IGN: Kyoji
Class: Shootin' Mah Balls
Level: 130
Guild: Minerva
Default

Ugh, problem with SG is that there is really no 'out' for things like this. The only way you can get anything done is if you have 1) friends in very high places or 2) extremely rich and influential parents. SG society has arguably one of the worst forms of materialistic corruptions you can name.

I spent 3 years getting a favorite cousin of mine OUT of SG coz her education was going absolutely freaking NOWHERE due to fail in similar ways like you described. Managed to get her over here to Australia on a student visa. She eventually graduated college and went back, and now suddenly employers are falling all over her with job offers.

...Sad, so sad. Hope things work out better for you... If all else fails, hire a sniper.
__________________
 
05-20-2009   #24 (permalink)
sɪlvər
Silver Rook's Avatar
Awards Retired Content StaffPervert Award
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth
Posts: 1,934
iTrader: (0)
Silver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Silver Rook Send a message via AIM to Silver Rook Send a message via MSN to Silver Rook Send a message via Yahoo to Silver Rook Send a message via Skype™ to Silver Rook
IGN: Silver
Class: Ag
Level: 47
Guild: Transition Metals
Default

I just gotten 3 Ls beside my name for saying hi to a lecturer.

Guess why, and no; its not because I'm Late.
__________________

This is Kyuubey
 
05-20-2009   #25 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Drarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)
Drarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirakani
Ugh, problem with SG is that there is really no 'out' for things like this. The only way you can get anything done is if you have 1) friends in very high places or 2) extremely rich and influential parents. SG society has arguably one of the worst forms of materialistic corruptions you can name.

I spent 3 years getting a favorite cousin of mine OUT of SG coz her education was going absolutely freaking NOWHERE due to fail in similar ways like you described. Managed to get her over here to Australia on a student visa. She eventually graduated college and went back, and now suddenly employers are falling all over her with job offers.

...Sad, so sad. Hope things work out better for you... If all else fails, hire a sniper.
SHIRAKANI!! I thought you went away!!

I suppose that's an option for me. Right now most of us are just pretending to listen to what he says and just doing what we feel is better, though...

But he still sickens me to no end. Ugh, getting told WHAT TO PUT IN YOUR PERSONAL PORTFOLIO AND WHAT NOT TO PUT!?

Tell me some of those 'materialistic corruptions' you mentioned lol I'm curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Rook
I just gotten 3 Ls beside my name for saying hi to a lecturer.

Guess why, and no; its not because I'm Late.
no idea
__________________
 
05-20-2009   #26 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special
Shirakani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (0)
Shirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Shirakani
IGN: Kyoji
Class: Shootin' Mah Balls
Level: 130
Guild: Minerva
Default

^%$$@#!%%($##$@@# what is this with ppl thinking i went away?!?! I WOULD BE SO LUCKY to get any time off work! lol... x.x I've just been busy as hell IRL.

By materialistic corruption i'm generally speaking about the 'five C's' that's so prevalent in SG society, and the value that society puts on them. SG ppl as a general whole will do anything to get ahead, so favoritism, bribery, back room deals, you name it. I'm sure you're MORE than familiar with it, and most likely your parents talking about how you should focus on being rich/marrying into money, etc etc.

The type of shit from asian parents that makes me ashamed to be asian.
__________________

Last edited by Shirakani; 05-20-2009 at 10:16 PM.
 
05-20-2009   #27 (permalink)
Pandas!
Special
Shiki's Avatar
Games
AuditionPangyaTibiaTrickster Online
Awards Retired Division HeadAdmin AwardEvent WinnerWandering EyeTwitter FanPervert Award
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Limbo
Posts: 1,156
iTrader: (9)
Shiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond repute
Guild: Symphony
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirakani

By materialistic corruption i'm generally speaking about the 'five C's' that's so prevalent in SG society, and the value that society puts on them. SG ppl as a general whole will do anything to get ahead, so favoritism, bribery, back room deals, you name it. I'm sure you're MORE than familiar with it, and most likely your parents talking about how you should focus on being rich/marrying into money, etc etc.
I'm sorry you saw the wrong side of Singaporeans.Because being FROM Singapore,I'd say minority are actually that corrupted.

@Drarin,I feel pretty sorry that things turned out this way for you,if I guessed the correct Polytechnic you're from,it's the standard for them to be like this,been hearing similar stories from my friends.I'd almost chose the same course as you.D;
 
05-21-2009   #28 (permalink)
sɪlvər
Silver Rook's Avatar
Awards Retired Content StaffPervert Award
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth
Posts: 1,934
iTrader: (0)
Silver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Silver Rook Send a message via AIM to Silver Rook Send a message via MSN to Silver Rook Send a message via Yahoo to Silver Rook Send a message via Skype™ to Silver Rook
IGN: Silver
Class: Ag
Level: 47
Guild: Transition Metals
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirakani
^%$$@#!%%($##$@@# what is this with ppl thinking i went away?!?! I WOULD BE SO LUCKY to get any time off work! lol... x.x I've just been busy as hell IRL.

By materialistic corruption i'm generally speaking about the 'five C's' that's so prevalent in SG society, and the value that society puts on them. SG ppl as a general whole will do anything to get ahead, so favoritism, bribery, back room deals, you name it. I'm sure you're MORE than familiar with it, and most likely your parents talking about how you should focus on being rich/marrying into money, etc etc.

The type of shit from asian parents that makes me ashamed to be asian.
Seriously?
You need to study more about singaporeans before trying to type in outdated information LOL.
__________________

This is Kyuubey
 
05-21-2009   #29 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Drarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)
Drarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Rook
Seriously?
You need to study more about singaporeans before trying to type in outdated information LOL.
Unfortunately, he's right...

@ Maddoc: Singapore Polytechnic, of course.
__________________
 
05-21-2009   #30 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special
Shirakani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (0)
Shirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Shirakani
IGN: Kyoji
Class: Shootin' Mah Balls
Level: 130
Guild: Minerva
Default

Outdated? I wish i was... i wish i was, PLEASE MAKE ME WRONG coz i want to be wrong here, in all truth and seriousness.

I have relatives in SG, many cousins that are constantly asking me for help in GETTING THE HELL OUT of the country because they simply cannot stand the kind of shit that poor Drarin is in right now. It hurts me that i CAN'T help them all even tho i want to... *sigh*.

I dearly wish i was wrong...
__________________
 
05-21-2009   #31 (permalink)
Pandas!
Special
Shiki's Avatar
Games
AuditionPangyaTibiaTrickster Online
Awards Retired Division HeadAdmin AwardEvent WinnerWandering EyeTwitter FanPervert Award
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Limbo
Posts: 1,156
iTrader: (9)
Shiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond reputeShiki has a reputation beyond repute
Guild: Symphony
Default

The maximum I can say about Singapore's education system is that it's totally controlled.Nothing except academics can get you in a good social standing in future.Seldom,sports can get you far.Other talents one might have,will be totally ignored,unless they go overseas to start out the career.
So the part about parents asking us to marry into money is quite wrong,they want us to study like crazy and then make those moneys.
 
05-21-2009   #32 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special
Shirakani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (0)
Shirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Shirakani
IGN: Kyoji
Class: Shootin' Mah Balls
Level: 130
Guild: Minerva
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc
The maximum I can say about Singapore's education system is that it's totally controlled.Nothing except academics can get you in a good social standing in future.Seldom,sports can get you far.Other talents one might have,will be totally ignored,unless they go overseas to start out the career.
So the part about parents asking us to marry into money is quite wrong,they want us to study like crazy and then make those moneys.
Yeah, and i guess i was being too general in trying to convey my point. What i was trying to allude to was that generally it's a society that values the 'face value' of material gains to REPRESENT success. (does that make sense?).
__________________
 
05-21-2009   #33 (permalink)
Lazy Lurkin'
Special
Javier's Avatar
Games
Atlantica OnlineDofusTrickster OnlineRift: Planes of Telara
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Carolina/Singapore
Posts: 2,242
Blog Entries: 3
iTrader: (0)
Javier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Javier
IGN: Ripchord
Class: Commando
Default

It's the price to pay for being stuck in a small cosmopolitan city..either you get busy in the rat race or you pack your bags and get on the train...
__________________

It's the nature of my circuitry.
 
05-21-2009   #34 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Drarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)
Drarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the rough
Default

Sigh... I don't wanna spend my life racing against people who travel much faster than me. All I want to do is draw and make a living outta it...
__________________
 
05-21-2009   #35 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special
Shirakani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (0)
Shirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Shirakani
IGN: Kyoji
Class: Shootin' Mah Balls
Level: 130
Guild: Minerva
Default

You may want to look into a student exchange program for overseas study, if that's an option. A lot of Singaporeans that i personally know have gone this route just to get out of the country and be able to take a course of study in the west in general.

After graduation, you'll find that your foreign degree is 'worth more' in SG than it realistically is where you get it. Again this boils back down to perception and image by SG society. In all reality, if you were to say, go to the USA or come here to Australia and do a uni degree, the 'standard' of the degree is actually lower than one done in the university of singapore. However, the PERCEPTION within the country is 'OO! HE GRADUATED FROM <wherever>, MUST BE PRO!'.

That's the type of reaction my cousin got when she went back after graduating with a degree in commerce. If you ask me though, it's pretty much a win/win. You can finish your degree without the usual bullshit you'd get in SG, and when you go back, suddenly you're ahead of the rest of the rats.
__________________
 
05-21-2009   #36 (permalink)
too much effort
WhatThePho's Avatar
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,815
iTrader: (2)
WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1
Default

Finding a foreign program here in U.S. is far too competitive and chances are very limited. You have neighboring Chinese and Koreans to compete against and the odds are, sorry if I'm wrong but, quite against you.

Japan is a good option for many of the Asian nationals to go to since they have excellent programs and benefits for foreign students and non-permanent citizens that are enrolled in Japanese institutions. But this also comes with tremendous workload and it's probably more than you have had in SG. You'd have to learn Japanese from scratch but depending on your area of major, your submitted papers can be accepted in English :M A degree in Japan is likely to be weighed greater and it can be your ticket out as well.
__________________
Good taste is a dying breed.

Last edited by WhatThePho; 05-21-2009 at 08:28 PM.
 
05-21-2009   #37 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special
Shirakani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (0)
Shirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Shirakani
IGN: Kyoji
Class: Shootin' Mah Balls
Level: 130
Guild: Minerva
Default

It actually helps to have a friend in a western country that's willing to 'sponsor' you over. So long as you have a place to stay and they're willing to be your guarantor of sorts, that's another way over. MrClastro is right in saying that the waiting list in general is HUEG LIEK XBAWKS.
__________________
 
05-22-2009   #38 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Drarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)
Drarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirakani
You may want to look into a student exchange program for overseas study, if that's an option. A lot of Singaporeans that i personally know have gone this route just to get out of the country and be able to take a course of study in the west in general.

After graduation, you'll find that your foreign degree is 'worth more' in SG than it realistically is where you get it. Again this boils back down to perception and image by SG society. In all reality, if you were to say, go to the USA or come here to Australia and do a uni degree, the 'standard' of the degree is actually lower than one done in the university of singapore. However, the PERCEPTION within the country is 'OO! HE GRADUATED FROM <wherever>, MUST BE PRO!'.

That's the type of reaction my cousin got when she went back after graduating with a degree in commerce. If you ask me though, it's pretty much a win/win. You can finish your degree without the usual bullshit you'd get in SG, and when you go back, suddenly you're ahead of the rest of the rats.
Like I mentioned in the rant, even appplying for it would be fruitless as the lecturers (AND ESPECIALLY THE ONE I'M TALKING ABOUT) would ONLY allow those special 2 to do ANYTHING. They're already going overseas for a semester because of that and that's obviously the reason why our final year project got dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClastro
Finding a foreign program here in U.S. is far too competitive and chances are very limited. You have neighboring Chinese and Koreans to compete against and the odds are, sorry if I'm wrong but, quite against you.

Japan is a good option for many of the Asian nationals to go to since they have excellent programs and benefits for foreign students and non-permanent citizens that are enrolled in Japanese institutions. But this also comes with tremendous workload and it's probably more than you have had in SG. You'd have to learn Japanese from scratch but depending on your area of major, your submitted papers can be accepted in English :M A degree in Japan is likely to be weighed greater and it can be your ticket out as well.
They are indeed. I'm not very good academically and that would only spell doom for me. Moreover I don't have the cash so I shouldn't even bother...

Of course one of my dreams is to work at NIS, but my art is still EXTREMELY LACKLUSTER AND AMATEUR and picking up Japanese is getting increasingly harder because of the amount of depression that hits me veery day now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirakani
It actually helps to have a friend in a western country that's willing to 'sponsor' you over. So long as you have a place to stay and they're willing to be your guarantor of sorts, that's another way over. MrClastro is right in saying that the waiting list in general is HUEG LIEK XBAWKS.
Well... a far dream, I guess...
__________________
 
05-22-2009   #39 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Addict
RandomCrazyBuns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lurking under your bed
Posts: 256
iTrader: (0)
RandomCrazyBuns is on a distinguished road
IGN: Kitkin/NatsuNoHime
Class: Cat/Bunny to_champion
Level: 16X/17X
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirakani
...In all reality, if you were to say, go to the USA or come here to Australia and do a uni degree, the 'standard' of the degree is actually lower than one done in the university of singapore. However, the PERCEPTION within the country is 'OO! HE GRADUATED FROM <wherever>, MUST BE PRO!'...
LOL I'm sorry to say that this IS actually pretty true._. That is, that perception is here in SG. I think most employers would think foregin>local, hence they'd want people with foreign college degrees, which then leads to us(the students) having the same perception, regardlss of whether they're really PRO or not.

But on to the topic of sucky professors, things'll get better in college, especially the humanities professors(trust me on that )
__________________
-Semi-alive-
~Fantasia~
Kitkin-Cat-AP+HV-16X
Ghyphon-Lion-AC-7X
MizuFloss-Sheep-MA-6X
~Jewlia~
NatsuNoHime-Bunny-AP-17X
PyroKitsune-Fox-DA+LK-5X
Bearick-Racoon-AP+HV-14X
KuroNami-Sheep-MA-7X

MyBrute-Fight me
 
05-22-2009   #40 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Drarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)
Drarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the roughDrarin is a jewel in the rough
Default

Kind of redundant, but recently we had another encounter.

He was CONSTANTLY INSISTING US TO CUT DOWN OUR GAME AND REDUCE EVERY SINGLE BIT OF WORK TO NOTHINGNESS, telling us to "pleas do a simplr face like mayb put a visior over the charctor's eyes to liek avoid doing some facial modelling as you wouldnt wants to kill urselvs over modelling a really detailed face and rig it with a very nice rig would u".

Basically he was getting us to reduce and cut down our game into something NOBODY would want to play because of how simple and lackluster the graphics and gameplay are. Not taking any more of his shit, I decided to shoot him back and asked him "What the hell is the point of us coming to school if all we're going to do is play safe, do nothing but things we already know how to and make a piss-poor and ugly game?"

All he did was grin from cheek and cheek and laugh, speechless for a few moments before he went "Yeah, yeah correct, but I but I just wanted you guyz to have a back-up plan in case anything goez wrong. Yeah backup plan yeah."

Not only that, he was STILL insisting on us to cut down on shit because "It's for our own good", but all he wants to do is to ensure his favourite team does a better game than everyone else, obviously.

Why do I say that? The moment he's finished aboning around with us, he turns to his favourite group and starts talking in private. One of my group members overhears it, of course, and he was telling them to "Do a very detailled face with a nice rig" as that was "Really important".

Sigh...
__________________

Last edited by Drarin; 05-22-2009 at 05:08 AM.
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Pockie Ninja
Need a new browser game?

Try 

Pockie Ninja

Rating:  

8.3
Hide this banner by registering for our community.