ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Rant Forum (http://ggftw.com/forum/rant-forum/)
-   -   Stating truth makes me discriminatory? (http://ggftw.com/forum/rant-forum/46937-stating-truth-makes-me-discriminatory.html)

VorpalBunny 05-12-2009 11:15 AM

Stating truth makes me discriminatory?

One of my co-workers happens to be Catholic and was indoctrinated by a recent recruiting spree which has made her more annoying than a door to door preacher. After three days of saying no, I finally got fed up, arrange a sit down talk, and calmly air out the reasons why I will never support the Catholic church. Firstly, because they are the most corrupt organization on the face of the planet, and they have blood on their hands for supporting numerous wars. They sold indulgences, which were basically coupons signed by a clergyman that people could buy to excuse sins. Not only is this completely unscriptural, but so is the whole notion of forced celibacy. This led to talk about John Wycliffe and William Tyndale, both of whom translated the Bible to English and had their Bibles burned by the Catholic church, either because the translations did not support their doctrine, or because the clergy wanted to stay in power by keeping the public in the dark and using the Bible in Latin. In any case, telling her plainly that the Catholic church was a bunch of Bible burners didn't sit well, and the well published edict of the Pope having Wycliffe's remains dug up, burned, and then thrown into the river Swift made the argument undefendable.

After arguing that the past is the past, she wanted to show that the modern church is no longer what it used to be. This was hardly a valid argument, as Thomas More, one of William Tyndale's lead prosecutors, and overall Catholic attack dog, was declared as a Patron Saint of Statesmen and Politicians by Pope John Paul II in 2000. Despite there still being clergy that deny the holocaust in ranks of the church, the council of Pope Pious XI signed the Reichskonkordat treaty with Nazi Germany shortly after Hitler took power, effectively legitimizing his government. Pope Pious XI would later be criticized for saying absolutely nothing about the harsh treatment and genocide of Jews that happened before and during the second world war. At that point, she had heard all the aired dirty laundry she could stomach and called me anti-Catholic.

The problem here? I'm not. I didn't make any of this up, I was just stating truth. If you have problems with my supposedly anti-Catholic remarks, then you should blame your church leaders for supplying the ammunition. I'm not the one who moves gay clergy from church to church. I'm not the one supporting oppressive boarding schools for Native Americans, designed to destroy their language and culture. I'm not the one who will support your organization either. So no matter how much you cry discrimination and bloody murder and hide yourself under a rock of self denial, you can't escape the truth. You support an organization that's corrupt to the bone, and happens to have some good, honest people who are completely kept in the dark about it's history. Knowing the truth about your organization's rotten innards does not make me anti-Catholic. I don't go around burning down churches, or send you to the supervisor for being preachy during office hours, even though I probably should. I let you get your voice in, before I get in mine. Just because the truth I say hurts doesn't make it discriminatory. You happen to be a blind sheep who peddles religion for a bunch of crooks you knew nothing about. Now deal with it.

moffit 05-12-2009 11:24 AM

*claps .

Metty 05-12-2009 11:56 AM

Eh I had a similar discussion about holidays(as well as the origin of the word), namely Mothers Day, Fathers Day and Valentines and how stupid they were because people make it out to be that you can only show those people who love them on that one day etc. Black History Day/Month(which ever it is) was mentioned as well as equality and something called "Black Television"(was talking to someone from the states). Everything was fine till I was labeled racist/anti-social when I said "equality means not needing things to have black/white/brown/pink versions and exceptions."

But good on ye Vorpal, people can't handle the truth.

Zegridathes 05-12-2009 01:03 PM

It was nice when we were kids, having these nice guys act as go-betweens to God for us, then we get older and find out it's basically just a self-serving political machine.

That's ok if they want to keep doing that I guess, now that I've pretty much abandoned the church (not faith), I actually prefer God without all the human-posturing bullshit.

It bothers me when people try to forcibly justify their religion to others. If they have to resort to this, they're doing it wrong.

ChazZTheSpazZ 05-12-2009 01:19 PM

Stated like a pro, GG.

JustinBieber 05-12-2009 01:55 PM

Asians have small d1ks.

It's true, but still discriminatory. :<

Kruger 05-12-2009 02:14 PM

Majority of north americans are obese and die more frequently from heart attacks or strokes.

It's true...... discriminatory? I dunno, you be the judge.

zgmfx19a 05-12-2009 06:34 PM

Another epic rant brought to you by VorpalBunny.

Javier 05-12-2009 06:54 PM

It's funny when people can no longer defend their position and have to resort to the feeble "you're anti-____" line.

Shirakani 05-12-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayyy (Post 828988)
It's funny when people can no longer defend their position and have to resort to the feeble "you're anti-____" line.

My comeback to that.

"Why thank you, please be advised the latter is wholly and entirely your fault. Please also be advised that I am anti-anything-you-are-a-part-of-by-default from this point on. Don't let the door hit you on the way out." :py62:

They usually have no reply to that.

But yeah, well done to Luckie. I always maintain religion is the refuge of the weak minded, and your story has only served to prove the point.

k0n 05-12-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VorpalBunny (Post 828607)
Despite there still being clergy that deny the holocaust in ranks of the church, the council of Pope Pious XI signed the Reichskonkordat treaty with Nazi Germany shortly after Hitler took power, effectively legitimizing his government.

GRAMMAR!

Anyways, truth hurts sometimes. Deny is the first step if I recall, lol.

Metty 05-12-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k0n (Post 829086)
GRAMMAR!

Anyways, truth hurts sometimes. Deny is the first step if I recall, lol.

Grammar was fine to be honest. Also its denial.

Lets break it down.
Cue funky music.
They're/they are - Despite they are still being clergy that deny the holocaust in ranks of the church.
Their, a possession of something - Despite their are still being clergy that deny the holocaust in ranks of the church.
There, There Definition | Definition of There at Dictionary.com link as I'm now too lazy - Despite there still being clergy that deny the holocaust in ranks of the church.

Third one to be honest. As the Catholic church would be a there, as there is the slim chance not all of the pedoriests are corrupt.

Breakfast 05-13-2009 06:11 AM

I'm printing this rant out and posting it on my wall.

Kainami 05-13-2009 08:03 AM

They're just being stereotypical about people who don't embrace their thoughts. They're actually the discriminants in this situation.

Coffee 05-13-2009 02:41 PM

I'm a forced Catholic because of my family, I'm only 15. I love this rant.

I'd +rep you, Vorpal, but I can't. 8D

Queen 05-13-2009 02:48 PM

I have a friend who uses a lot of the same logic as you, and this brought me a good lol. I can't take it when people are so blinded that they can't see what's right in front of them (Really cliche, but so true)

Kainami 05-13-2009 05:22 PM

They sometimes just prefer not to see.

SilentSaber 05-13-2009 06:34 PM

I think this would sums it up nicely:

MsSquid 05-13-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentSaber (Post 830015)
I think this would sums it up nicely:

No it doesn't. The only thing similar between that clip and this topic is that they both deal with the truth.

SilentSaber 05-13-2009 06:56 PM

Well, there wasn't a clip with him just saying the can't handle the truth part. But, really, I'm surprised you didn't see it coming. The "truth" never makes anyone happy.