ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Rant Forum (http://ggftw.com/forum/rant-forum/)
-   -   english dubs (http://ggftw.com/forum/rant-forum/46845-english-dubs.html)

evileyes 05-11-2009 07:26 AM

english dubs

fail, found this ;;
KADOKAWA PICTURES USA
wtf holo?

Metty 05-11-2009 08:10 AM

How do you pronounce Japanese r?

The internet, teaching weeaboos something everyday.

evileyes 05-11-2009 08:11 AM

i fail :/ as usual

Metty 05-11-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evileyes (Post 827344)
i fail :/ as usual

Not really, not a lot of people learn about languages these days.

miyasha 05-11-2009 09:23 AM

i'm more surprise in knowing someone will acttualy dub this anime. :py32::py01::py16:

still hear Horo whenever they say her though. Holo sounds like something from Bleach. it just doesnt sound right :/

SilentSaber 05-11-2009 12:50 PM

Translator's note: KEIKAKU MEANS PLAN. And I shall never forget, heh.

Azusa 05-11-2009 01:59 PM

NOTE: 'hai' means 'yes' in Japanese.

lolllllllllllllllllllll

But in all seriousness, dubs really kill 99% of things that were not meant to be in said language.

Veloze 05-11-2009 05:00 PM

I usually like English dubs more than the original Japanese dubs.
Like the dubs for Naruto, DBZ, Pokemon, Lucky Star... Yea...

MsSquid 05-11-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi (Post 827878)
Lucky Star

They did a good job of making Konanta sound like the socially inept loser she's supposed to be.

PedroRomero 05-11-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Like the dubs for Naruto, DBZ, Pokemon, Lucky Star... Yea...

yeah i think it's a matter of watching in a language you're more familiar with that makes me like english more.

as haruka said some things do get butchered. but that happens in translation between any language. not just japanese to english.

on a related note:
today a fangirl called me out for calling Ryoma's cat Kalpin instead of Karupin. But honestly Kalpin is the english manga name and i think Kalpin seems like a good wager on what Karupin is supposed to sound like.

flsg 05-11-2009 06:50 PM

there are actually some good dubs, like for death note, haruhi, fullmetal alchemist, etc
but lots of them are average...
the worst is chinese dub, OMG...they sound so freaking fake x.x

JustinBieber 05-11-2009 07:21 PM

wait so is it holo or horo? :psyduck:

Light 05-11-2009 07:26 PM

The only dub I could agree with was Pokemon.
It was pretty well perfected IMO, although I can't comment on recent seasons or movies, since I've lost interest after the 3rd season and 6th Movie.
They fit the voices with the characters very well, It felt natural and realistic.

Quote:

Like the dubs for Naruto

I've watched one episode of Naruto on TV after channel surfing a few years back, and unless he is supposed to sound like an annoying prepubescent child in a teen's body, then I've nothing more to say.

Veloze 05-12-2009 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flsg (Post 827980)
there are actually some good dubs, like for death note, haruhi, fullmetal alchemist, etc

Malaysian dubs. 'Nuff said?

miyasha 05-12-2009 02:12 AM

Quote:

you never heard european portuguese dubs have you? it sounds like they are just reading the paper and it's always the same voices. exemple: i only recognize 1-2 female voices in pokemon. :py28:

good thing they stoped dubbing anime after first season of One Peace. subs FTW!!

Kainami 05-12-2009 07:17 AM

Quote:

Agreed. I skip past the animations in Asia. Pokemon english dub was annoying enough. Want a taste of Chinese dubs? It's horrific. Just...terrible.:py64:

Metty 05-12-2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light (Post 828038)
The only dub I could agree with was Pokemon.
It was pretty well perfected IMO, although I can't comment on recent seasons or movies, since I've lost interest after the 3rd season and 6th Movie.
They fit the voices with the characters very well, It felt natural and realistic.

I've watched one episode of Naruto on TV after channel surfing a few years back, and unless he is supposed to sound like an annoying prepubescent child in a teen's body, then I've nothing more to say.

BELIEVE IT!!

Random text to bypass caps filter.

WhatThePho 05-12-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

You should have seen what the Death Note's original voice actor sounded like... it was an utter disaster.

zgmfx19a 05-12-2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light (Post 828038)

Isn't that what Narutard is all about?

MsSquid 05-12-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrClastro (Post 828820)
You should have seen what the Death Note's original voice actor sounded like... it was an utter disaster.

This post makes no sense at all.